1 2
Hal
Hal UltraDork
10/1/17 3:20 p.m.

Since we have had some threads regarding camper vans recently, I thought I would post some pic of a motor home I saw at C&C today. 

It is a Vixen 21 motorhome.  Classified a a Class A motorhome, but you can park it in your garage.  Has a full kitchen, bath, and a full size bed with no rearranging stuff to use.  The dinette can be converted to another bed.  Power comes from a 6 cyl BMW turbo diesel.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/17 3:21 p.m.

I think they're pretty cool, and they're also pretty rare.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
10/1/17 4:23 p.m.

Rob Sigel had a couple of columns on Vixens in BMWCCA Roundel Weekly a few months ago. IIRC he was considering buying one & looked at a couple & provided pretty good info on what to look for or be aware of in Vixens.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/1/17 4:29 p.m.

A friend of mine has one of those things, they are pretty cool in a Space:1999 sort of way.  smiley

chandler
chandler PowerDork
10/1/17 5:07 p.m.

Only thing cooler would be an UltraVan, I passed one on I75 a week or two back between Dayton and Toledo with Oregon plates. I can't imagine driving a corvair based Camper across the country.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
10/1/17 5:27 p.m.

I passed a vixen on the highway last year. They are incredibly small. Very very cool in a retro-futuristic way.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/1/17 5:45 p.m.

Always really dug those.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/17 6:22 p.m.

ultimate camping machine?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/17 6:47 p.m.

In reply to Hal :

Interesting that it uses a GM belt tensioner, although maybe that's a retrofit.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/1/17 6:51 p.m.

They also used 3800 Buick engines.  Always though they were neat machines.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/1/17 7:40 p.m.

I'm familiar with their existence and some of their basic stats. One thing i don't know is whether i can stand up in one..

mad_machine
10/1/17 7:51 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

that's why they have the poptop

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
10/1/17 7:56 p.m.
Vigo said:

I'm familiar with their existence and some of their basic stats. 

Read that as 'back seats' and thought this thread was going to go in an even more interesting direction.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
10/1/17 8:29 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

As long as you are ~6' or less, no problem with the top up.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
10/1/17 10:22 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

If you get the hi-top, and 6' or shorter, you can stand up all the time.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
10/1/17 10:31 p.m.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
10/2/17 8:53 a.m.

It's a controversial opinion, but I think these are much cooler than the GMC "Stripes" motorhomes.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/2/17 8:55 a.m.
Hal said:

In reply to Vigo :

As long as you are ~6' or less, no problem with the top up.

One of the design points of the Vixen is that it would fit in a standard residential garage, which is why they went with the flip up top.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
10/2/17 11:45 a.m.

But will it tow a car trailer?

I do like the design though.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/2/17 2:15 p.m.

I doubt you'd be able to pull much of anything on a trailer.  That BMW diesel engine was only rated at 114hp, plus they used a Renault transmission that wasn't very strong.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/2/17 2:39 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

I doubt you'd be able to pull much of anything on a trailer.  That BMW diesel engine was only rated at 114hp, plus they used a Renault transmission that wasn't very strong.

"It is impossible to make an RV slower than an old VW camper"

Vixen: "Hold my beer..."

mad_machine
10/2/17 5:41 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

well, what it is needs is a Porsche transaxle bolted up to a BMW v10 from the M5

Hal
Hal UltraDork
10/2/17 7:12 p.m.
mad_machine said:
stuart in mn said:

well, what it is needs is a Porsche transaxle bolted up to a BMW v10 from the M5

The owner said he was thinking about putting in the new Cummins 4cyl "crate engine" that just came out.  Didn't say what transmission he would use.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/2/17 10:28 p.m.

I love these things. They really press all of my Ark II buttons. Sadly they can't tow anything of note, or I'd probably have one rotting away in my yard.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/2/17 10:30 p.m.

I mean COME ON. If the crap really hit the fan, who wouldn't line up behind Bulgy McSexbeard here to wander the wasteland forever?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8kahVsIVlUm0Asi2fvnDpOJttYp64UC8PDvaumuzBgPt3POkzR9ssNcgy7LxdFr5