1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/19/19 12:44 a.m.
Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
7/19/19 12:52 a.m.

Performance bargain of the century! Name a faster (new) car for the money, ill wait. 

Nutty, GM somehow does it again.

ctk339
ctk339 Reader
7/19/19 5:19 a.m.

I think I like it, at this point though my only hope is that it makes the older cars cheaper for me lol 

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
7/19/19 6:52 a.m.

Cockpit looks like a good place for a couple already on the road to divorce.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/19/19 7:04 a.m.

If they're making money at $60k, even just a little, that gives them a ton of room to work with on the $100-160k versions. Following the Porsche model of making money on options and a new special version every 6-9 months for the life of the chassis?

If the rear view mirror/camera thing is on the base car I bet my wife will want to bail on the ND. 

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/19 7:15 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

The camera, I'm pretty sure, is a federal mandate now. There may have been some exemptions, but that's for low volume manufacturers, not Chevy.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 7:20 a.m.

I think i’m in love. I haven’t wanted another corvette since my c4 bad enough to actually plan to buy one, but I think I know what i’m aiming for when done paying for the truck.  Of course I need to drive one to make sure, but damn that’s pretty

Torkel
Torkel Reader
7/19/19 7:27 a.m.

I love it! Both inside and out! I think you guys are way too harsch on the interior. It says "racing car, futuristic and Spaceship" all at once. Love the big screen that is sort of hovering, separated from the rest of the dash and I can at least accept the long row of buttons.

Well done, GM!

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
7/19/19 7:34 a.m.
RevRico said:
spacecadet said:

holy crap the convertible looks amazing 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a28442207/2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-convertible/?src=socialflowFBRAT&fbclid=IwAR0qsLxtOPthFUyg6ulqwzTnD0YFFjbNfHX9Xojd5ccCt1Khd2YMYWRP5o4

Ooooo

Pretty. But what’s up with the rear fender gap?

j_tso
j_tso New Reader
7/19/19 7:49 a.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

display model, no engine installed?

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
7/19/19 7:51 a.m.

Just learned that there's no manual... Boo.  

Otherwise car looks great.  A Ferrari at 1/5 of the price.  I like it.  

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/19/19 8:16 a.m.
300zxfreak said:

Cockpit looks like a good place for a couple already on the road to divorce.

This is gold.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
7/19/19 8:37 a.m.
Error404 said:
grover said:

holy crap! Under 60k! 

Drop a 0 from that and we can talk.

I think C5s just went there.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
7/19/19 8:39 a.m.

I think they took most of the styling from the FZR 2000 from Need For Speed II SE.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 8:43 a.m.

I'll have to see it in the flesh, but from all the photos I have seen, there is not an attractive angle on it. Not one. I expected the tacky plastic vents and the ugly gloss black trim, but man, the basic lines are just plain bad. The wing looks like a cheap Pep-Boys add-on and every surface is just so damn busy. Designed by a committee? Did you try to make the taillights and exhaust ugly?   That's the only explanation. 

And inside, every high-end automaker is going away from rows and rows of buttons after years of complaints. So GM decided to address the complaints about the Corvette interior by adding...more buttons?!?!?

I'm sure the performance will be outstanding, but here's hoping that some of the details get smoothed out and cleaned up over time. 

pinchvalve
7/19/19 8:43 a.m.

I'll have to see it in the flesh, but from all the photos I have seen, there is not an attractive angle on it. Not one. I expected the tacky plastic vents and the ugly gloss black trim, but man, the basic lines are just plain bad. The wing looks like a cheap Pep-Boys add-on and every surface is just so damn busy. Designed by a committee? Did you try to make the taillights and exhaust ugly?   That's the only explanation. 

And inside, every high-end automaker is going away from rows and rows of buttons after years of complaints. So GM decided to address the complaints about the Corvette interior by adding...more buttons?!?!?

I'm sure the performance will be outstanding, but here's hoping that some of the details get smoothed out and cleaned up over time. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
7/19/19 8:45 a.m.

Meh.... not impressed....the camo pictures look better. I'll reserve final judgment until I see one in the flesh.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
7/19/19 8:45 a.m.
spacecadet said:

Jason Isley from Racer snagged this photo... 

so now we know what all the buttons are.. 

It's not impossible, We just haven't figured out how to do it yet.

I got a close up of those buttons:

pinchvalve
7/19/19 8:49 a.m.

Nice clean lines...

Fugly.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
7/19/19 8:59 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

They should’ve just copied this:

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/19/19 9:04 a.m.
Catatafish said:

Performance bargain of the century! Name a faster (new) car for the money, ill wait. 

...crickets....

jv8
jv8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/19/19 9:06 a.m.
chaparral said:
Error404 said:
grover said:

holy crap! Under 60k! 

Drop a 0 from that and we can talk.

I think C5s just went there.

I agree.  Haven't had time to track my prepped C5Z so I was thinking about selling... but now I'm looking for cheap storage.  On the plus side I will have no fear of damage when I get back on track... replacement parts/cars will be cheap!

This announcement and its trickle-down effect may turn the C5Z into the track bargain of the century.

I still wonder if the $60K is a bait-and-switch scheme using super-expensive options.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 9:07 a.m.

The C7 was born spiky and got spikier. So it's not surprising the C8 is spiky. I'm looking forward to seeing one in the flesh. 

I don't see why the pricing is a shock. The engine is in a different place, but other than that little bit of packaging it's not radically different from the C7 in terms of cost. It's just that we're not used to seeing manufacturers going mid-engined in this price bracket. Well, other than Porsche who has been doing it for quite some time. And Toyota, who did it at a much lower price point. But mid-engined isn't necessarily more expensive if you're building a unique platform and transmission already.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 9:08 a.m.
RevRico said:
spacecadet said:

holy crap the convertible looks amazing 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a28442207/2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-convertible/?src=socialflowFBRAT&fbclid=IwAR0qsLxtOPthFUyg6ulqwzTnD0YFFjbNfHX9Xojd5ccCt1Khd2YMYWRP5o4

Ooooo

When Mazda does that  it's not a convertible laugh Looks pretty darn cool though.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/19/19 9:12 a.m.
poopshovel again said:
Catatafish said:

...crickets....

Yeah, totally. So it's basically Cayman money. 

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7nYXQmXBuZbFmpEgNEdLyD96o5ISncV5fEC28M2UVfs2YmrPErTwRxj16V9aCbR4