8/17/21 8:45 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

$40,000 base price.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37304208/2023-nissan-z-revealed/

So I'm guessing that means the performance will likely be $45-46k

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
8/17/21 8:49 p.m.

What.? I was hoping for an electric suv called 240e.

Not!

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
8/17/21 8:59 p.m.

In reply to rustybugkiller :

Would that be a 240EZ ?

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/21 9:10 p.m.

This thing is pretty great . $40k is realistic though I'd like it closer to $33 -35k but I hope they sell a ton of them. If there is a green on butterscotch one I'll put a deposit down.  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
8/17/21 9:41 p.m.
Stampie said:

Just want to point out that torque should always be higher than horsepower but I'm an old fart traditionalist.

Never owned a japanese sports car since 1983, where that was the case

my japanese SUVs - sure 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/21 9:56 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I didn't say Japanese.  I just feel any sports car needs more torque than hp.  Torque is what makes my pants tight.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/17/21 9:56 p.m.

Did they ever discuss the weight?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/21 10:10 p.m.

Lol are you saying we should expect less torque from the Japanese?

VK56VD

2011–2013Infiniti M56420 hp (313 kW)57.6 kg⋅m (565 N⋅m; 417 lbf⋅ft)

I'll call 3lbf-ft close enough.

Reminds me that I really want a M56.

G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter)
G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/17/21 10:29 p.m.

As a former G35 owner, I'm so stoked that they've ditched the crappy viscous LSD for a clutch-type one. If it drives as well as it looks, I may just have to buy one.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/17/21 10:37 p.m.

I like it a lot more then the BMW Z4 I mean Supra. 

Cchambers13
Cchambers13 New Reader
8/17/21 11:06 p.m.

As someone who loves vintage Z-ness and have always been meh on the 350/370z there are some good changes. Still the 370 chassis and 85% of it everywhere else too but finally a high output engine. Would have also been cool with the 5.6 v8 buuuut it would be in mustang/challenger/camero land which would probably kill the curb weight and handling. 

In a nutshell: Nissan twin turbo v6 manual transmission rwd car in a 2 seater, for what a $5k premium over regular appliance cars... YES, many wins. Way more interesting than a new miata or BMW/Supra.

Unfortunately I'm relegated to 4 doors needs so take the Z and make it an estate wagon and im there 100% dad rod style. 

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
8/18/21 12:19 a.m.
Stampie said:

I didn't say Japanese.  I just feel any sports car needs more torque than hp.  Torque is what makes my pants tight.

They made a ton of C4 Corvettes if that's what you're into.

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
8/18/21 12:59 a.m.

It's almost as tall as a goddamn SUV. Pre crazy regs Z32 for reference:

STM317
STM317 UberDork
8/18/21 7:24 a.m.

It's a heavily revised 370Z (still has the same internal chassis code). It's going to weigh at least 3400+lbs like the 370 currently does. It's not likely to be any cheaper than the 370, so prices will probably start in the mid 30s.

If you compare it to a Supra (which nobody but car mags will do), it's going to seem like a bargain. If you compare it to a Mustang/Camaro/Challenger (which actual humans will do because budgets are a thing) it's going to have a tougher time in the market place.

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/18/21 7:35 a.m.

Interior looks great, exterior looks excellent from the rear, so-so from the front. Super pumped they kept a six speed standard (looking at you, Supra...) and the TT V6 probably puts a ton more power within easy reach. Big thing is going to be the weight - is it closer to 3400 or 3600? 800lbs and $10+k is a big leap from the Toyobaru.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
8/18/21 7:38 a.m.

Looks pretty good overall but weight is going to be the deciding factor for me. The BRZ is 2800ish lbs. I would rather have lightness/nimbleness than power.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
8/18/21 7:55 a.m.

Looks like it was designed by Rockstar for GTA.  A whole bunch of styling cues from several different cars so they don’t get sued, but not so many that you can’t tell what car they were going for.

Makes a LT1 Camaro look like a steal, performance wise.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/18/21 8:37 a.m.

I like it. I bet it'll look better in person just like the latest Supra.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/18/21 8:44 a.m.

I've been a very vocal critic of Nissan for a long time now. Aside from their trucks, there wasn't anything I'd want to put in my driveway since about 2005, or whenever they stopped building the Altima SE-R was (GT-R and Infiniti cars excluded).

That said, I think they nailed this. Critics, hear me out.

Yes, it's a re-skinned 370Z. Yes, it will be heavy. Yes, the windows are small. Yes, it will probably start at around $40k. But it looks fantastic IMHO, you can get it with either a 6-speed manual or a 9-speed automatic with actual gears instead of the CVT nonsense they have been peddling for years. It has a tried-and-true twin turbo V6 from Infiniti under the hood, which is the best mill they have to offer right now outside of the GT-R. And look, there are COLORS on the interior other than black! That blue press car with the blue seats makes me feel funny inside.

It's a real effort from a company who has been building boring, uninspired crap for over a decade, and I'm giving them an A for effort here. I hope it sells well, because if it does, maybe they will build more cool stuff in the future like they used to.

And I like it better than the BMW Supra. wink

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
8/18/21 8:56 a.m.

I have liked the styling of the 350Z-this new Z. 

My heart just falls because of all the reviews that describe the handling as, no fun. So I never got serious about buying one. I am curious to read articles about the driving experience. That is where they can make or break this car. The weight isn't a concern in and of itself at all performance wise. It can be handled with good suspension tuning.

I went to a local SAE focus meet and greet back during the launch of the 350z and have been a low key fan since. It or the 370 or now the new Z is on my, "if I won the lottery" add on car list to have in my fleet.

Though at the price of $40k I am never going to afford one. A certified used Miata RF or Toyota 86 are more in my affordability range.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/18/21 9:03 a.m.

This beats the alterative, too: simply no more Z.

We've been there before. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/18/21 9:05 a.m.

If Nissan wants it to be a great handler, they will. Suspension design has come a long way. If it turns out to be too soft and uninspiring, that will be a conscious design choice as well. But I doubt it. Everything visual about this car suggests tightness and precision. I expect the dynamics to proceed in kind. Save the plushness for the infiniti version. 

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
8/18/21 9:07 a.m.

Regarding the reskin....this is not unusual and not as detrimental as it may have been in the...last century. Even sharing codes, they can move suspension pickup points, swap out parts with lighter high strength steels, and improve rigidity. 

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
8/18/21 9:18 a.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

Yes that is what I hope. That this will be a step towards more fun sporting. But we all have unique tastes. I think my biggest issue was at 5foot 2 inches I couldn't find a comfortable position during my short test drive of a manual 370Z. I will try to test drive this new one some day. 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
8/18/21 9:20 a.m.

Just placed an enquiry into my dealet buddy and he got the reply 'preorders start 11/1'.  Some interesting colorways I was told too... but no elaboration beyond that :/

I'm definitely preordering as soon as I can.  

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AvaIQ5Ivj69JZmxXzK5Z1A5GNrhL4ebUp690iJeujD6l3oIkSGdyw8jnR7CExaUE