procainestart
procainestart Dork
10/15/09 5:56 p.m.

While googling around for Quaife info, I found that a company called Autotech appears to be the US distributor. So I googled them and found out that they also distribute Wavetrac LSDs.

1. Are Wavetracs related to Quaife beyond Autotech, or are they separate firms?

2. Anyone had any experience with them? Looks like they are torsens like the Quaife but have a mechanism to prevent them from going open if you get a driven wheel in the air.

Here's their site: http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm

If these diffs work as advertised, it seems to me that they'd work well on dirt, where it seems a lot of dirt-based racers prefer a clutch-type diff...

So whattya know?

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/09 6:20 p.m.

You've not been paying too closely as I posted this link a day or so (about running a welded diff in FWD Challenge car)

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/whats-diff/

Obviously if someone has more direct experience.....

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/09 6:28 p.m.

The wavetech looks pretty interesting. They're not the only helical diff to transfer power with an unloaded wheel, my Guru will do that using a similar technique.

Autotech is no longer the US distributor for Quaife, BTW. Related to the Wavetech? I have no idea.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
10/15/09 6:39 p.m.

Yes, in theory it's the best of both worlds. We're using the VW 020-spec Wavetrac in our LeGrand with a SFRE housing. The gear design is similar to the Quaife but with a slightly different tooth profile and angles, for a more aggressive action—and the tiny clutch pack keep one wheel from being unloaded. Very cool!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/09 6:59 p.m.

I only found out about them a short while ago. Definatly an option to keep in mind as they seem to be the perfect blend of Helical and clutch type LSD

Flogger00
Flogger00 New Reader
10/15/09 9:36 p.m.

Here's a related thread from vwvortex http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4295339

HTH

cxhb
cxhb Reader
10/15/09 10:38 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Yes, in theory it's the best of both worlds. We're using the VW 020-spec Wavetrac in our LeGrand with a SFRE housing. The gear design is similar to the Quaife but with a slightly different tooth profile and angles, for a more aggressive action—and the tiny clutch pack keep one wheel from being unloaded. Very cool!

so do you think it would be good for a FWD vehicle?

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
10/15/09 11:14 p.m.

Yes, definitely.

mad_machine
10/16/09 8:55 a.m.

wonder how hard it would be to get one for the saab? Gods know the the NG900 and OG9-3 need all the help they can get to combat torque steer

Vigo
Vigo New Reader
10/16/09 9:34 a.m.
where you have near zero torque on the axle, even if the wheels are on the ground, the typical diff is unable to begin applying drive torque until AFTER the zero torque condition is over.

This seems like an extremely silly statement. "the diff cannot transfer torque from one end to the other until there is a load somewhere causing it to do so, thus forever dashing hopes of a perpetual motion differential"... DURRRRR

procainestart
procainestart Dork
10/16/09 11:24 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: wonder how hard it would be to get one for the saab? Gods know the the NG900 and OG9-3 need all the help they can get to combat torque steer

Have you done the Viggen Rescue Kit a/k/a steering rack brace modification? http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_28&products_id=36 Supposed to make a big difference.

Also, Quaife makes a diff for NG900/OG9-3s: http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=568

Meanwhile, seems like a number of folks have heard of the Wavetrac, and Per's got one, but there's not much real-world experience. If they're using higher torque biasing ratios than Quaife, their fancy pre-load tech works, and their stuff doesn't break, then they should be making some money...

mad_machine
10/16/09 3:50 p.m.

suspension work comes this spring.. the rescue kit is part of it. Right now I just need the car as my daily while I clean up and fix the Ti over the winter

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/16/09 4:15 p.m.
procainestart wrote: Meanwhile, seems like a number of folks have heard of the Wavetrac, and Per's got one, but there's not much real-world experience. If they're using higher torque biasing ratios than Quaife, their fancy pre-load tech works, and their stuff doesn't break, then they should be making some money...

If they don't have a lot of applications, but are simply advertising to companies like, say, Flyin' Miata and offering to make diffs in that application in large quantities in exchange for large amounts of money - it can take a while to get traction in the marketplace. Get it? Traction? Ha!

fifty
fifty Reader
10/16/09 8:55 p.m.

I looked at these back in the spring and the marketing made it sound really good. But,not having any real world data to back up the claims, I went with a Peloquin LSD. I was also concerned that the clutch in the LSD was a wear item.

kb58
kb58 New Reader
10/16/09 10:46 p.m.

I bought one myself about a year ago and it's in the mid-engine Locost that's due to drive next spring. I'm amazed no one - especially on this board - has experience with these.

ansonivan
ansonivan Reader
10/16/09 11:45 p.m.

+

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oap6RWzRAdXwOENu6u2AfJYLLeJSOENthY7MrHtUSv56yoyQAqWdhAbHnb99Gup4