1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/13/14 6:42 a.m.

Maybe 2016... if my finances and schedule are where they need to be at the same damn time!!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/13/14 11:11 a.m.

Me and a couple of others are already putting WAY too much thought into this...

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/13/14 11:47 a.m.

I'll be four wheel steering would be an advantage (instead of having two parallel rear tires fighting against the turning force of the fronts, they could be working in concert.), if you could 100% nail the steering/ackerman angles.

More hmmm...

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
12/13/14 11:50 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed: Hot Honda Prelude!?

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/13/14 11:59 a.m.

That may work, but I'm still stuck on my no-suspension, center driving position, mechanically linked 4-wheel steering, electric powered, car-sized cart with the biggest R-comps... Jeremy Clarkson in the world. Jeremy Clarkson

And wings, lots of wings. Like a couple of wings from a flat roof semi that hauls van/reefer trailers.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
12/15/14 3:43 p.m.

So, uh, just for the sake of argument... Can you have a "tether" to a stationary component in the center if it's not load-bearing?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
1/7/15 12:57 p.m.

What is the diameter of the circle and can my entry have the same track width?

Edit: Just saw the outrigger with sails and sit in the middle post. So yeah, I guess I am not the first to think of this. Sounds like it would be legal based on that post!

nichloasjerry1
nichloasjerry1 New Reader
1/7/15 4:21 p.m.

Too lazy to find any question could you ask again here?

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
1/13/15 2:17 p.m.

Alright, we have classes determined. They are outlined in the rules.

Here's a link to the event page again: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/traqmate-skidpad-challenge/

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/14/15 2:24 p.m.

I didn't see it mentioned. Is competition one way, both ways? How many runs allowed? If you do a gonzo build will that put you into the SCCA unlimited class (unless you are under $2015)?

EdHigginbotham
EdHigginbotham Editorial Assistant
1/15/15 8:14 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr:

We're tying up the details on the exact process of the competition. We're trying to make it thorough, but quick enough that we can squeeze as many cars in as possible. I'll let you guys know when that is all settled. But I think you can count on people going in both directions.

And yes, if your car is some crazy build that doesn't fit in any SCCA classes, it goes in the Unlimited class, but you will have to contact us for it to be approved.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/15/15 5:53 p.m.

Help me understand the idea for the $2015 Challengers...

The rule says, "Any legal $2015 Challenge car...".

I am intending to bring a former $20XX Competitor, with some add-ons which may push it over the $2015 budget, with the intent to redesign those ideas and bring them back under budget for the $2015 Challenge.

It is both a former Challenger, and will be a legal $2015 Challenge car, but not in the trim it appears in at the Trakmate Challenge.

I'm pretty sure this fits the spirit of what you guys are generally looking for, but it won't fit a $2015 budget at the time of the Trakmate Challenge.

What sayeth the GRM overlords?

EdHigginbotham
EdHigginbotham Editorial Assistant
1/16/15 8:26 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Shoot me an email and let's see if we can work something out. edward@grassrootsmotorsports.com

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/16/15 2:20 p.m.

Email sent

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/18/15 9:56 a.m.

^^^

I am slightly interested to hear how the Overlords rule on this issue of former challenge cars. I haven't kept close track of my budget but I bet I could make my former challenge car still eligible with minor tweaks... definitely still very much being worked on in the spirit of the challenger it once was...

I really am not concerned with where it winds up classed (will not beat SVreX around the skid pad or even be close!) but maybe I can get bonus points for bringing a BMW with GRM provenance?

Ed Higginbotham
1/20/15 9:14 a.m.

Basically what Rick and I came to was if it's over budget, it needs to be placed in another class. In SVreX's case, I think his car will be competitive in pretty much any class, so I told him if he can get it under budget (he says he's close) he is more than welcome to enter it in the $2015 class. I think everyone knows, but power modifications won't do a ton of good in this competition.

In the interest of making it all fair we have to draw the line somewhere.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/21/15 1:58 p.m.

I have a tenative "maybe" from my boss for time off! SWMBO seems on board as well. Is there a class for highest MPG while performing as I will likely show up in my Insight. Chances are adding sticky rubber won't be in the budget by then but I will head out on my cheap ass all seasons to pull a sweet .71 G!

stan_d
stan_d Dork
1/23/15 2:45 p.m.

At what g does oiling the engine become an issue?

When will the oil not return to the sump and cling to side of the engine?

Is this a peak number or sustained average?

I just hade some random thoughts.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/23/15 2:55 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote: Basically what Rick and I came to was if it's over budget, it needs to be placed in another class. In SVreX's case, I think his car will be competitive in pretty much any class, so I told him if he can get it under budget (he says he's close) he is more than welcome to enter it in the $2015 class. I think everyone knows, but power modifications won't do a ton of good in this competition. In the interest of making it all fair we have to draw the line somewhere.

Yep.

But I might not WANT to keep it under budget.

OR, maybe I can even devise a method to enter it twice- once UNDER budget, and once OVER.

MUHAHAHA!

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/25/15 5:28 p.m.

I'm thinking outriggers....

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
1/26/15 6:44 a.m.
stan_d wrote: At what g does oiling the engine become an issue?

For my build....NEVER! muahahaha (or actually I guess however long it takes to discharge a 3qt accumulator without giving it a chance to recharge)

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/20/15 10:27 a.m.

Looks mildly possible that I will be driving my Galaxie cross country to the Coker event now. If so, we will be setting the lowest score possible in that big, floppy vert!

Ed Higginbotham
2/20/15 12:49 p.m.

That would be awesome!

stan_d
stan_d Dork
3/4/15 6:46 p.m.

Well things I have no control have caused me to possibly not bring the challenge car but, I wonder , how well would a prius do ? Shh don't tell the girlfriend. She said no racing her cars. I will put it in battery mode.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/9/15 10:46 p.m.

I saw this as run what you brung deal. I am just curious how new and old cars compare and thought it would make a fun story.

We will finalize a few details next week when we get done with our tour.

Mainly the Mitty is a big party for all our readers. We keep adding stuff to the party. Come out, have fun with us and let's see how this goes this year. We can hone it in one we see who and what enters.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rGdLxXgcduQI0mqR7CBIKCz6IDxJNrJa268D12rX9MXp0iMcbsQHoAnxwjeJbIdc