1 2 3
NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
6/17/15 8:27 a.m.

I find that TV is becoming irrelevant to my automotive desires. As a result, I find myself on Youtube looking for content. The regulars are:

1-Roadkill

2-Dirt Everyday

4-Project Binky

5-DIY Garage (rusty mustang series)

6-A random sampling of people doing build threads.

What are some other suggestions for killing time on the laptop that involve car building and subsequent shenanigans?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/17/15 8:36 a.m.

I've been watching a BBC show called For The Love of Cars, you can find most episodes on Youtube. Another older BBC show that's interesting is Salvage Squad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_the_Love_of_Cars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvage_Squad

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/15 8:44 a.m.

Came in here to yell Roadkill. Pleasantly surprised.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
6/17/15 8:46 a.m.

Mighty Car Mods on the Tube. Hilarious, down to earth Aussies that have been running for several years. They mainly do how to videos on installing or fixing things but there are some good videos where they travel and do stupid Roadkill/Top gear stuff.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
6/17/15 8:59 a.m.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned The Smoking Tire. They're awesome.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/17/15 9:22 a.m.

Links guys? Some of the show names are too generic to actually find.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
6/17/15 9:29 a.m.

Should have though this through before asking. Volvo might never get done

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/17/15 9:40 a.m.
Harvey wrote: Links guys? Some of the show names are too generic to actually find.

Just go to Youtube and type in the names provided in the search blank at the top of the page, they all show right up.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/17/15 9:55 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
Harvey wrote: Links guys? Some of the show names are too generic to actually find.
Just go to Youtube and type in the names provided in the search blank at the top of the page, they all show right up.

I would refer you to "DIY Garage" as one that does not.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
6/17/15 9:59 a.m.

In addition to most of the ones already mentioned, I like Big Muscle
Linky
Disclaimer: Similar to how Roadkill will make you want a beater muscle car, this will make you want a shiny one.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
6/17/15 10:13 a.m.
Harvey wrote:
stuart in mn wrote:
I would refer you to "DIY Garage" as one that does not.

I agree on the DIY garage one. My bad for not linking.

I have been following the endless Rusty Mustang restoration. Beware, there is a lot of language that is NSFW but the build is pretty educational if you have not done this stuff and should be mandatory watch for anyone buying a classic to restore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6taUkGCUhJg

cwaters
cwaters Reader
6/17/15 10:23 a.m.

Roadkill is the best. Petrolicious is pretty good. Chris Harris On Cars (of course) and Harry's Garage. All on Youtube.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
6/17/15 10:27 a.m.

I love Leno's Garage on Youtube myself. Probably because I love obscure stuff like steam power.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
6/17/15 10:54 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: I love Leno's Garage on Youtube myself. Probably because I love obscure stuff like steam power.

Leno is OK due to some of the cars on the the shoe, but for content he is too fluffy and the clips are formatted to death

I need to see E36 M3 built and broke with resources that I can at least imagine myself having. And some language...never been in a shop situation where some cuss words did not flavour the conversation.

Burrito
Burrito HalfDork
6/17/15 11:10 a.m.

I'm a fan of Mark Evans "is born" series. You can find most of them on the YouTubes, I know the entirety of "An MG is born" is up there.

As it's an older BBC production, it gets a little corny at times, but they're actually putting real work on the car in front of the camera, so I can forgive it for the lame interviews.

former520
former520 Reader
6/17/15 11:34 a.m.

I also watch Fast Lane Daily, Motorweek has been putting all of their old reviews up as 'retro reviews'. It is pretty interested watching them talk about the new upgrades to the k-cars and comparing mid 80's Camaro, Mustang, Supra.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/15 12:36 p.m.

At the risk of getting banned, "Roadkill" is just OK. I've watched probably 5-6 episodes, and it's not bad, but I don't get as pumped about it as you guys, though.

I am fully addicted to "Regular Car Reviews", though. That dude cracks me up while putting cars into their historical and cultural contexts better than just about anyone else.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
6/17/15 12:40 p.m.

I can't do roadkill... Just too blah.

Currently in my YouTube watch is MCM, Leno garage, and smoking tire. In that order! Anyone finish the mad max MCM series?!?!? So much fun! Or the "lend us a car" series?!?!? Even better!

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
6/17/15 12:44 p.m.

Roadkill

Mighty Car Mods

The Smoking Tire

Tom's Turbo Garage

Project Binky

Drive's YouTube content has been suffering lately, but it seems like they are focusing in what makes them money (/Drive on NBC Sports) since the internet thinks expensive Top Gear-like content should be free.

Desmond
Desmond Reader
6/17/15 12:50 p.m.

Check out:

EVO

Gear98

Noriyaro

Petrolicious

RSRNurburg

Tom's Turbo Garage

XCAR Films

Singular Entity

DRCrallyfilms

Just to name a few of my favorites.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/17/15 12:51 p.m.

There are lots of good Wheeler Dealer episodes on the 'tube too

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/17/15 12:59 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: And some language...never been in a shop situation where some cuss words did not flavour the conversation.

That's a curious requirement.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
6/17/15 1:21 p.m.

Bamse's Turbo Underpants

Turn the English subtitles on unless you speak Finnish.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
6/17/15 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

Yeah, I have watched all of the mighty car mods (mcm) specials and fair amount of the Diy videos. Mod max was pretty fun but Super Gramps is my favorite. Also loved the blue turd.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
6/17/15 2:06 p.m.

/Drive+ is excellent, along with Motor Trend's other top two hitting shows.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y7sIKHoGfQyvYpTsONb1VoCTcMv8AjRM1xbeuG9muK5IUERbiQ6cW3oI6Ktynvvj