Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/20/20 9:34 p.m.

Got my 2007 rav4 posted on Facebook.  I detailed it. Got an offer as a trade in for $2500.  Decided I'd put it up for $4k.   One hour later. Sold. 80 Facebook messages.   But can't find the stupid title. Guess I'm going to the dmv tomorrow. Should be able to print me one. Drive up windowopens at 8. I'll be there at 7:30. 

literally the craziest experience selling cars. Two sold in 3 weeks.   Both for way over what I would have thought was reasonable. 

Fueled by Caffeine
7/20/20 10:19 p.m.

Guy from dealership just called me and said. I'll pay you $500 more than what you just sold it for.  

nope. I made a deal. Maybe underpriced it. But. Probably not. 

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
7/20/20 11:55 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Guess I'm going to the dmv tomorrow. Should be able to print me one.

Say what?  What state is this?  Every time I've ever heard of something involving a lost title it involves mailing a box of paperwork to the state and waiting 6-8 weeks.

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
7/21/20 12:48 a.m.

I've sold 3 cars on Facebook market place within the last year and a half and 2 sold with 24 hours, the other was a non running project and sold within 2 weeks. All for my asking price. Downside was the filtering through all the bs messages to find people who actually wanted to show up and buy the car. 

also in PA a lost title is a couple weeks of wait time so hopefully your state is different. 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
7/21/20 1:44 a.m.

I sold my BMW E30 last summer. Couldn't find my title because it was packed up in one of the million boxes during the move. No problem, drove to DMV and got a duplicate title in 5 min. Shortest time EVER spent in the DMV. Now, don't even get me started how long it takes to renew a drivers license at the DMV. 

Fueled by Caffeine
7/21/20 6:09 a.m.

I may have to submit it and get in the mail later. I think there is a fast track program. 

When we paid it off i don't think our lender forwarded us the new title. Ohh well.  i can find a title from Washington state, Connecticut and South Carolina but not MN. Also the house is now destroyed. 

so now I have to see how long this will take and if this buyer wants to hold out for it.  

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/20 6:54 a.m.

In Ohio if the title is in your name you just go to the title office and they print you a new one for $15.

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/21/20 7:37 a.m.

In some other remote corner of the internet, someone is posting an online rant right now about sellers on FB Marketplace advertising cars without finding the title first.

Hope it works out.  Tennessee is pretty easy to get a duplicate title, however in every case I've been aware of from the buyers POV, the seller can never produce one.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
7/21/20 7:41 a.m.
EvanB (Forum Supporter) said:

In Ohio if the title is in your name you just go to the title office and they print you a new one for $15.

Yep, walk in with current registration and $15, walk out five minutes later with a shiny new title.

Fueled by Caffeine
7/21/20 8:10 a.m.

Sitting in drive through of dmv. 

man is printing title right now. $20. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/20 8:27 a.m.
EvanB (Forum Supporter) said:

It's so easy, I've contemplated just destroying my titles and letting the state keep the electronic records, but having paper is nice sometimes. 

Any time I have needed one, I was in and out of the title bureau in about five minutes.  Hand them my driver's license, tell them which car I need a replacement title for, then they print it out right then and there.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/20 9:02 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Basically the only thing our state has right is that the title bureau and bmv are separate entities.  So we don't have to do the 30 person deep line with 5 15 year olds getting temps, 3 people who "don't know" they needed emissions tests, 5 commercial guys with 30+ trucks and a crying baby just to transfer a title.

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
7/21/20 7:39 p.m.

I'm currently blown away by how fast some cars are selling on Facebook and Craigslist. 

I'm trying to find an 03/04 Corolla S to swap the xrs parts from my rusty Matrix xrs into, and I'm watching car after car get sold within hours of the ads being posted.  I've sent countless emails and phone calls on fresh ads only to be told it's already been sold.  I figured finding one of these would be simple.

Are any economy cars a hot ticket due to the economic downturn right now?  All I can think is that people are unloading their SUV's to downsize for gas savings.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
7/21/20 7:52 p.m.

I was in the Ohio Title office once doing my thing and the two people next to me were there to complete a car sale. 

The lady seller was all distraught. She had come a long way and forgot to bring the title with her. When I overheard they were discussing a new date of when to come back. 

I stepped in and stated that for $15 they could print the seller a duplicate title right now. For her, it was the best $15 she ever spent. 

I was bothered that the counter worker didn't recommend it. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
7/21/20 8:02 p.m.
andy_b said:

I'm currently blown away by how fast some cars are selling on Facebook and Craigslist. 

I'm trying to find an 03/04 Corolla S to swap the xrs parts from my rusty Matrix xrs into, and I'm watching car after car get sold within hours of the ads being posted.  I've sent countless emails and phone calls on fresh ads only to be told it's already been sold.  I figured finding one of these would be simple.

Are any economy cars a hot ticket due to the economic downturn right now?  All I can think is that people are unloading their SUV's to downsize for gas savings.

It is not that economy cars are the hot thing, they are sort of just the affordable thing and even then are still over priced..  

In this new world, one person per car is an easy way to distance.  People who might take public trans are reconsidering to buying a car.  In my opinion, this is making the old $3k car into a $5k car.  What I mean is that $3k just 6 months ago used to get you a rather solid "driver".  Today, that seems to take $5k.  If you only have $3k to spend, that is now going to get you the old $1,5k car...etc

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
7/21/20 8:18 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

That makes a ton of sense.  It also makes me think I should see how much I can get for my Matrix.

I wonder if your proposed inflation rate for cheap used cars decrease as the value of the car goes up.  That is to say a formerly $2k cars price has doubled in the current market, but a $15k cars price hasn't risen nearly as much.  

If that proves true, I should sell the Matrix now, combine that with my plannned Corolla XRS clone build budget, and buy a much nicer car instead.

Fueled by Caffeine
7/21/20 8:47 p.m.

And it's gone!!!!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HCrEDgXjqdunQKr9ibtXCposYKl5vg2pdJFcohBOn1THyyXKKGUeg0uNYYAFxjNs