1 2 3 4
frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/28/22 10:48 a.m.

There are several places in America where top speed is is run.  What about GRM sponsoring  a class limited to Challenge rules at one of them?    
 If we did it at the salt flats  I'd run a front wheel drive steam liner 

Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
1/28/22 10:53 a.m.

Would one set of high speed tires and a parachute be included at no budget hit?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/28/22 10:54 a.m.

You would end up with some very fast, very sketchy vehicles. I imagine the insurance carrier for GRM would have something to say in the matter. As it is , we have 150 mph cars  and having an LSR class would only bump that up , the liability is way too high IMHO. It would be an interesting exercise to see just how fast and creative forum members are, but it isn't going to be an official GRM event.

I wonder how fast an LS powered, twin turbo streamliner would actually go?

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/22 11:11 a.m.

If there were to be a high speed competition, I'd want it to have a rule that disallowed internal combustion engines. If we're going big, go spicy. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/28/22 11:15 a.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

You have a line on some SRBs don't you?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/28/22 11:29 a.m.

The drag race covers the top speed thought pretty darned well.  Especially since space is constrained.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/22 11:31 a.m.

I would think that this implies running at a top speed event but with a $2000 budget class - you'd have to meet THEIR safety regs.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/28/22 11:36 a.m.

I don't see it as being feasible since you'd likely need to run a budget oriented a event at two different locations.

Not to mention, you didn't even mention how long you'd like the course? 1 mile? 2 mile runway? IIRC are two different length courses at Bonneville, is it 5 and 7 or 5 and 3?

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/22 12:17 p.m.

Make it an unofficial Bonnieville class.

Let's say Bonnieville 2024.

$2024 budget. tires and parachute and safety equipment is free. 3 or more wheels. Must have a driver in the car. Let the creativity flow.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/28/22 12:31 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I would think that this implies running at a top speed event but with a $2000 budget class - you'd have to meet THEIR safety regs.

The cost of just going to run one of the events costs $2000.  It's not really like attending the challenge.

Before trying something like this- go and attend one of the events to get an idea of what it takes to do it.  

My old challenge car was based on a LSR team that I was part of- even in the beginning stages, the LSR Alfa Spider was quite a bit more involved than my Challenge Spider was.

The only way this would be "realistic" is if the basic regulations to meet the safety regulations are not part of the budget- not including the required fixing of structural rust.

And as much as I respect the engine builders that have been to the challenge, I don't see anyone getting close to a record in any class for $2000.   The natural result of that would be a strong likelihood that you would want to put together a program to break a record.   Nothing wrong with that, I suppose.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/28/22 12:33 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I don't see it as being feasible since you'd likely need to run a budget oriented a event at two different locations.

Not to mention, you didn't even mention how long you'd like the course? 1 mile? 2 mile runway? IIRC are two different length courses at Bonneville, is it 5 and 7 or 5 and 3?

Bonneville it depends on how much salt they have available that year.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/28/22 1:58 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

You would end up with some very fast, very sketchy vehicles. I imagine the insurance carrier for GRM would have something to say in the matter. As it is , we have 150 mph cars  and having an LSR class would only bump that up , the liability is way too high IMHO. It would be an interesting exercise to see just how fast and creative forum members are, but it isn't going to be an official GRM event.

I wonder how fast an LS powered, twin turbo streamliner would actually go?

OK make it a bonus points to the actual Challenge.  In other words, enter there to race in whatever class you fit in. Yes you'd need to exempt the extra safety rules cost.  
   Yes a car too effective at top speed won't do well in the autocross or drag race.  
A motor designed to last the 7 ? Mile Bonneville full throttle blast  probably won't be a success at the 1/4 mile  event.  Nor will it have the bottom end grunt that is rewarded at the autocross.   
     I know one model of Studebaker is pretty successful at Bonneville   And no I don't know what the record is for 4200 cc's.  I do know you're allowed to tape over openings etc.  

Then take that same car to the challenge,  to do the rest of the event.  

Saron81
Saron81 Dork
1/28/22 2:00 p.m.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/28/22 2:01 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

The cost of just going to run one of the events costs $2000.  It's not really like attending the challenge.

Before trying something like this- go and attend one of the events to get an idea of what it takes to do it.  

My old challenge car was based on a LSR team that I was part of- even in the beginning stages, the LSR Alfa Spider was quite a bit more involved than my Challenge Spider was.

The only way this would be "realistic" is if the basic regulations to meet the safety regulations are not part of the budget- not including the required fixing of structural rust.

And as much as I respect the engine builders that have been to the challenge, I don't see anyone getting close to a record in any class for $2000.   The natural result of that would be a strong likelihood that you would want to put together a program to break a record.   Nothing wrong with that, I suppose.

A challenge priced Bonneville car isn't likely to set any records.  ( but wouldn't it be great if it did?). 
 At a minimum GRM would get a lot of press. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/28/22 2:03 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

That's a given.  But exempt the additional cost of compliance.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/28/22 2:07 p.m.
Saron81 said:

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. 

Only if the car you enter isn't well built. 
   Let's say several decide to take up the challenge and happen to have GRM decals on their car. 
     If one or two of them break down, according to the rules you can repair the car without a budget hit and go on to run the actual challenge.  

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/28/22 2:08 p.m.

Isn't there an east coast timing association thst does too speed racing in North Carolina.  I want to say the Nelson's participate. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/22 2:10 p.m.

From what I've seen from the outside (not the inside like Alfa), LSR stuff is kinda Grassrootsy already. I don't think we need a Challenge but some articles on it would be pretty interesting.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/28/22 2:12 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
z31maniac said:

Bonneville it depends on how much salt they have available that year.

It wouldn't have to be Bonneville. I know there is something held in Texas.  Out East some place, in California. Plus several different times at Bonneville.  I suppose they are different organizations with different rules /  classes etc.   but whoever clocks the fastest  gets the most points for the actual challenge?  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/28/22 2:18 p.m.

I'm mentally trying to figure out how fast I can get a V12 XJS to go.    I've got 2 new turbo's  just itching to eat some salt.  Hmmmm 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/28/22 2:21 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

From what I've seen from the outside (not the inside like Alfa), LSR stuff is kinda Grassrootsy already. I don't think we need a Challenge but some articles on it would be pretty interesting.

Exactly.  The aerodynamic challenge would be  interesting.  

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/28/22 3:15 p.m.

Found it. 

https://www.ectamile.com

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/28/22 3:25 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

It very much is grassroots, and there has been a few LSR articles in GRM.  I wrote one.

Found one- https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/faster-speed-rust/

In the ~20 years I've been a subscriber, LSR articles have been maybe once every 5-10 years.  So I don't really see it as magazine fodder for GRM.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
1/28/22 4:13 p.m.

Not totally related, but I guess this thread as l is as close to relevant as I'm going to get.

If one wanted to bring an 04 cup car to the blytheville mile, any idea what class that would fall in?

GaryC83
GaryC83 New Reader
1/28/22 4:14 p.m.

Speaking as somebody with no GRM challenge experience, but who has been wanting to build one for years... 

And as somebody whom has done a LOT of work on record setting cars for the salt.. everything from a flathead powered roadster on up through the Speed Demon.  The two forms of racing are total polar opposites. 

Whoever was asking about the length, the short course is for anybody that runs 175 or less and hasn't licensed up, as well as motorcycles. It's a 3 mile timed course with typically a 2 mile shut down. 

The long course you have to license up to get on, as well as run past a certain speed to qualify. That course is a 5 mile timed length with a 2-3 mile or more shut down. 

It's a LOT of work once you are on the salt, let alone the prep work for such. It's also a completley different world as far as putting together a driveline package that will hold together at wide open throttle for 20-50 seconds, vs 10 -15 seconds at full throttle.  The saftey requirements are a lot different and a lot more strict, as are the classing. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but I'm saying the average guy will probably wind up a lot deeper in than they ever thought. 

What would be more feasible is the mile events some folks have been talking about. Those are run all over the country. We set records with the ECTA and the twin turbo Belvedere we built, at 208mph. That was a challenge in and of itself. A great one to be a part of, but we had to *work* for that as well. Being said, if you're not after a record it's still a LOT easier to go make passes and try to get into the 130 or 150 club than it is going out to Bonneville. Logistics wise, everything wise. It's also a lot easier on the cars... 

Anyway, if anybody does have any questions on the LSR stuff I'd be happy to chime in with some knowledge and answer some questions. It's a *great* aspect of motorsports, and IMO one of the last true grassroots efforts. Some guys (including the guys we deal with) spend truck loads of money all for bragging rights and a $2 brass timing tag. It's excellent. Everybody tends to be some of the nicest and most down to earth folks there are as well..  everybody really does help out everybody. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rzD5KmpOvBKOnRlwqvbjpqvgTYKY5PdWR6IUPZ6bJeeBwfF1F4LM2UHoIgaJnblK