1 2 3
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/22 1:12 p.m.

In reply to fanfoy :

Smarts do not have de Dion axles though, they have twist beams.  Way different handling dynamic.  Twist beams essentially are trailing arms with a big mammajamma stabilizer bar, de Dions are solid axles decoupled from drive forces.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/16/22 1:58 p.m.

Remember Awesome Kong monster truck from the 80s/90s? Looked like a regular pickup truck in profile, but narrowed to the width of the pilot.

I want to do that. To a car. It probably couldn't be a unibody car, but imagine a C4 Vette looking like the STP turbine wedge at Indy?

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/16/22 10:17 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to fanfoy :

Smarts do not have de Dion axles though, they have twist beams.  Way different handling dynamic.  Twist beams essentially are trailing arms with a big mammajamma stabilizer bar, de Dions are solid axles decoupled from drive forces.

As the owner of a 2012 and formerly a 2008, and having worked on a number of Alfas with de Dions I beg to differ. It's a de Dion. The engine and trans are solid mounted the "axle" moves around them unattached.

As for builds I'm still driving it. Jean Clyde Damn Van. SBC powered Safari for the soccer mom's revenge!

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
1/17/22 11:19 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to fanfoy :

As the owner of a 2012 and formerly a 2008, and having worked on a number of Alfas with de Dions I beg to differ. It's a de Dion. The engine and trans are solid mounted the "axle" moves around them unattached.

As for builds I'm still driving it. Jean Clyde Damn Van. SBC powered Safari for the soccer mom's revenge!

Yup! Even Daimler calls it a De Dion axle

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fRlmVhzOhQb0E6ZZX9kefPm4DFzHUPP1bdrQlTOT50PyLVauiZnElRUpwgSGTAlG