1 2 3 4 ... 6
buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
5/4/23 4:26 p.m.

I have never owned a big fast car. I want a big fast car. That being said, I prefer diesel and 3 pedals. Give me a Mercedes W126 with a Duramax please.

I once saw a Locost with a Type 1 ACVW in the front and a porsche 944(?) rear transaxle. Maybe not a locost, but a small RWD car with that setup would be amazing. Maybe a Karmann Ghia?

I also dreamed for a while of mounting a full Type 1 drivetrain in the rear of a Miata. It fits...

Tom1200 said:

A Ford small block in a 40s Chevrolet.

I love this. Even better a Chevy Deuce Coupe with a 302.

DocRob
DocRob Reader
5/4/23 5:00 p.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

Going the other way (definition of "questionable"):

Snowmobile engine in a Trabant 601.  Possibly with nitrous.

That thing would blow its own duraplast body right off itself!

I really want to take a Trabant body and drape it over a tube chassis filled with C7 ZR1 components. Call it the Corbant.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/4/23 5:10 p.m.

M275 in my w108. Having a hard time finding m275 engines though. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/4/23 5:18 p.m.

A 3.9 gm 60 degree v6 in an rx8?

A 3.5 gm 60 degree v6 in an fc rx7?

Or a j35 Honda motor connected to the stock drivetrain in an early impreza.  

Oh, wait...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/23 5:24 p.m.

Supercharged series II 3800 drivetrain, final drive modded to be 1:1 (it is a planetary, should be simple), mounted longitudinally in the back of a small hatchback, sending power to a differential at each end.

Because it is longitudinal, there would be room for a turbo hanging off of each side.  Lots of time on eng-tips reading about twincharged engines' high detonation resistance gave me the idea.   (you do NOT clutch the supercharger in and out, it must stay working for the system to work).

When that all didn't pan out, the next idea for the GTI was a mid mounted K24, with a large turbo, and all wheel drive.  No supercharger, although I do have an M90 sitting here...  but that project took a completely different turn.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/23 5:28 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

I have a couple that are not realistic:

A Ford small block in a 40s Chevrolet.

Seen it done, although it was a 351 Cleveland, not a small block.

The one I really really want to do is a Cosworth BDA-BDG in my Datsun. The limiting factor is cost; while I could afford the motor I have a tough time with the concept of a 7-15K engine in a 7-9K car. This is really actually quite silly as most race Datsuns have  7-15K Datsun race engines in them.....just not mine.

I would suggest the "poor man's BDA" but 4A-GE engines are not exactly cheap anymore, either.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
5/4/23 5:51 p.m.

My next planned project is a f20c s2000 drivetrain in a model a high boy with drum brakes and friction shocks. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/4/23 8:19 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Nissan RB26DETT in a Cobra replica.  Paint it black, no sidepipes, put Nissan burger badges on it where you'd expect AC / snake roundels.

This is kind of like Gumby's 3/4 Cobra coupe build. Kind of...

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/4/23 8:21 p.m.

Twin engine Lincoln MKT. Stock from the outside, twin 3.5 ecoboosts inside running on all of the same throttle signals. That should be an easy 800 hp.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/23 8:25 p.m.

I want to LS4 swap a Cruze. 

But driving the back wheels. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/23 8:36 p.m.

I currently have a Caddy 500 as well as an 83 Corolla Wagon.  Even my welder is taunting me.

I also have an 8' fiberglass rowboat and access to a 135hp Yamaha jet ski that have surprisingly similar hull profiles.

I once put a 302 windsor in an 87 Cutlass mostly to justify the free 5.0 badges I had sitting on the shelf.  Do not recommend.  Oil pan fabrication is a b!tch

Planning a Duramax swap into a 66 Bonneville.

Turboed Harley V-twin in any fairly large car.

80's GM A-body converted to V8 RWD and done as a sleeper.

I have a book from the 70's that describes (with photos) a completed, running, driving, steam engine swapped Camaro.

Also, there's this, another Camaro:

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
5/4/23 8:44 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I would suggest the "poor man's BDA" but 4A-GE engines are not exactly cheap anymore, either.

The 4AG engine is excellent but it's not any cheaper than a BDA at similar power levels.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
5/4/23 8:54 p.m.

In reply to Uncle David (Forum Supporter) :

If I am seeing correctly a Ford Flathead in a Camaro is not something that would be an highly questionable swap. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it not still in that condition today!  :0P

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
5/4/23 9:33 p.m.

Hmmm, as long as "questionable" is the bar, how about a Maserati Biturbo into a gen 4 Supra?

travellering
travellering Dork
5/4/23 9:40 p.m.

CBX1050 inline 6 cylinder into my 66 Mini Moke.  The horsepower increase would be noticeable but pale in comparison to how incongruous the sound and the visual would be.  The wailing scream and sequential gear snicks of the greatest era of F1, coming out of a car that most drunk golfers wouldn't consider safe...

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
5/4/23 10:55 p.m.

Turbo rotary and transaxle, stuffed into the back of a Datsun 1200 or B210. I thought of that as far back as the mid-80s but couldn't afford the price of a real transaxle.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
5/4/23 11:09 p.m.
kb58 said:

Turbo rotary and transaxle, stuffed into the back of a Datsun 1200 or B210. I thought of that decades ago but the price of a real transaxle kept it a dream, as it does today regardless what I entertain putting one in.

We've toyed with a whole host of mid engine conversions for our 1200. Everything from a Porsche flat six to a super charged triple.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
5/4/23 11:14 p.m.

LS into a Prius... already done, the owner had it on Leno's channel...

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/5/23 12:16 a.m.
kb58 said:

LS into a Prius... already done, the owner had it on Leno's channel...

Lol, a day late and a dollar short.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/23 12:17 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:

My next planned project is a f20c s2000 drivetrain in a model a high boy with drum brakes and friction shocks. 

You need to check out the Model A built by MAT about 20 years ago. BDA and a gorgeous restoration. The wheels are alloy but look like wood, for example. 

WARNING do not click this link unless you want to fall down a serious rabbit hole. 
http://www.mat.fi/projects

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/5/23 12:56 a.m.

I'm recycling an answer from elsewhere, but the question was similar...

Mazda 12a + automatic into Grumman LLV.

Take the factory pairing of a high-revving, low-torque, fragile engine and a witless slushbox and put it in a mini box truck that spends all day diving 80 feet at a time at the hands of an unsympathetic driver.

RabidBullFrog
RabidBullFrog New Reader
5/5/23 3:34 a.m.

I've always wanted to get a R31 Skyline wagon and pull the RB out and put a Barra I6 in it. Right hand drive wagon and 1000hp would be awesome!

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
5/5/23 7:17 a.m.

I'm planning on putting a Volvo b230 into a Datsun 260z.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/23 7:22 a.m.

Moter from a millenia s into a FD RX 7. 

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uTGx1lH3gxlKvgvHOli7WxOCzqDWy8jEBSlJVunu1xOSGBYJhRmRHVyAwuOsiGCs