1 2 3
DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
6/6/16 10:42 p.m.

I grew up with German sports cars in the 70s and 80s. Corvettes? I never saw a C1, C2 or C3 at any autocross or track day. C4s were plastic, squeaky, leaky, wavy and needed 335s to handle.

Then one day some guy named Bob let me hammer a C5 around, in the rain and on track. What a honey! Fast, yes, but so controllable, so driftable, so easy to drive fast. Well, yes, and so terrifying when you hit 114 over the crest and then the brakes don't work. But still and all, that car changed my mind about C5 and newer Corvettes.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
6/6/16 10:49 p.m.

Oh, and the instructor Crown Vics at Bondurant. Although there's a lot there that isn't Crown Vic anymore. But I discovered that there's something awesome about drifting an aircraft carrier.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/6/16 10:53 p.m.

I can say I have not had a change. I buy for what I need at the time or just have the feeling for. If I needed a truck, I got a truck. If I wanted a fast play toy, I bought that. No vehicle has stirred an itch that needed satisfying.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
6/6/16 11:08 p.m.

It wasn't a car. It was this magazine. Reading about people doing things in cars that I had never even considered as anything more than cheap junk. From about 1998 to 2005 or so, every single month I would read about a car and have the worst case of the wants. I would spend the rest of that month researching and trying to find examples for sale. Until the next issue came and I was on to the next weird thing I had never even thought of as being cool. Who would have thought I could want a freaking Yugo so badly?

I really haven't changed though. I'm still a big V8 RWD guy. That's just the way cars should be. But now I respect the hell out of all those little penalty boxes that I would have laughed at previously.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/6/16 11:39 p.m.

Chalk me up as another transmission convert. I drove a VW GTI with the DSG. That car was an absolute hoot and the transmission did exactly what I would have done, a half of a second before I would have been able to do it myself. I'm still considering getting a car with a good DSG to be my daily driver.

As for cars themselves, I've always liked cars in general and never really looked down my nose at any particular type, brand or configuration. That being said, I still prefer four doors to two unless a car only has two seats. Nothing will convince me that two doors is better on a car with an actual back seat.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/16 5:00 p.m.
TR7 wrote: In reply to dean1484: Didn't think it was that big, swear it was shorter than the altima my brother had at the time. I miss mine too though, 5 speed and I threw on the sport suspension. Great car, should have kept it.

It was longer than my wife's H2. That fact aggravated her

calteg
calteg Dork
6/7/16 6:41 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: I never wanted a diesel truck. I drove a few for work and was left unimpressed. When I started thinking bout bigger boats, bigger tow vehicles came with the territory. I was looking for a 460 gas F250, preferably a short bed. I found a deal on a '96 7.3L Powerstroke long bed. I love that truck. I like the clattery noise of the diesel. I like the tractoriness of it. I like the fact that it feels like I'm idling doing 60mph. I will never own another pickup without an 8' bed. Why on earth would I not want this much storage and utility?

Same thing, except '95 Ram 3500. I liked just sitting in it with the engine running. Slight vibration through the cabin, straight 6 humming. It was oddly tranquil.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/7/16 9:15 p.m.

My '97 Saturn SC2 taught me about slow car fast, and the bonus of awesome gas milage when gas is $4+. Put 100k on it in 5 years and never had an issue. Bought it for the economy and found myself liking the car.

1988 Corvette convertible. Always liked a coupe 'till I put the top down at night... Whole new world! Also learned the value of ABS during my first track day.

justthatguy
justthatguy New Reader
6/8/16 1:09 a.m.

Honestly, I thought I'd be a straight line guy forever. I have to credit my friend's old WRX for showing me how much fun curves could be. I appreciated imports so much more after that first ride.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
48y2jVPpxbdieo0glbW2giHme3ltJ8vCuH0d5vI3oji0t3eDcSPwEIoZPxyNNgZm