1 2 3 4
FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
10/28/19 9:01 a.m.

After owning a GTO and seeing what the Aussies get in terms of Holden prior to Australia stopping production, I've wanted a Commodore wagon.

A newer RWD wagon with a LS? Uh, yes please.

Instead I'm stuck with a "newish" AWD wagon with a paltry i6 from BMW.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/28/19 9:20 a.m.

I'd love any one of the following.  With the 25 year rule it would be possible given $$'s and a willing spouse.  IOW it's not happening.

Image result for 205 gtiImage result for MG Metro turboImage result for opel manta gteImage result for capri 2.8injectionImage result for uno turboImage result for renault 5 turbo

Image result for 106 rallye

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/28/19 2:07 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

We got a few of those Capris here. Called "Capri 2" for this market. Only a year of 2 of the later body before the name went to a Fox platform. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/28/19 2:27 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

We got a few of those Capris here. Called "Capri 2" for this market. Only a year of 2 of the later body before the name went to a Fox platform. 

Close, the Capri II was the 2nd gen Capri and only sold here 77.  That is a Capri Mk III, replaced the Capri II in Europe  from 78 onwards.  The stampings are basically the same, but a lot of different stuff.  Also what I posted, and would want, would specifically be a 2.8Injection Also called 2.8i or the rarer 280.  These cars got a Boch K-Jetronic injected version on the 2.8L Cologne V6, rather than the Essex V6 from the earlier, and Federal cars.  Also around 83 (IIRC) they swapped the 4 speed for a 5 speed and got an LSD.  Non of that is insurmountable as a mega update project on a US Capri II, but there are enough 2.8i cars over in the UK that importing one would be less hassle than a build.  Even with prices appreciating.  

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
10/28/19 8:55 p.m.

Alpine A110. Like a new Cayman, but lighter. There's a video on the Goodwood YouTube channel today of some euro dude hustling it around Estoril (without a helmet, naturally - surprised he's not also smoking and drinking at the same time).

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
10/28/19 8:56 p.m.

Somebody decided the Yaris needed 200hp and frankly I agree.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
10/29/19 6:53 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Yes! That and the Polo GTI. Just not for tall Americans like me :(

NickD
NickD PowerDork
10/29/19 8:17 a.m.

Jalopnik did a cool article about how post-USSR Russian mobsters loved ZJ Grand Cherokees.

"A status-oriented car culture developed in Russia as quickly as traffic diversified. In the criminal underworld, your bad motherberkeleyer-ness was a function of how big and expensive your car was. As such, the mobsters wanted cars that whispered, “avoid me.” They needed a blend of the offensive and ostentatious. And this is where Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ shined. The ZJ had all the American comforts, but in a durable and offroad-able package.This is what set the Jeep apart from its body-on-frame competitors, like the contemporary Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series and Nissan Patrol Y60—trucks that were still pretty spartan and underpowered in those years. The ZJ, on the other hand, made the gangsters feel special. It could haul a brigada and all their AK-47s to a shootout in the middle of a muddy field, and keep everybody’s asses heated in the process.Indeed, it was the brigadiers who embraced the ZJ the most. In the criminal hierarchy, they were the ones called upon to resolve issues with rivals. For this reason, the brigadiers needed cars to project strength—to flex on the enemy. But they also needed power to dash out of an ambush, sometimes on very rough roads. A V8 ZJ did this better than almost any other SUV at the time. And when so many other American-made vehicles perished in the harsh Russian winters, the ZJ proved resilient. Take for example, the Lincoln Town Car. A few of these body-on-frame sedans found themselves in Russia in the early ‘90s. God bless them. It’s painful to imagine how those poor, unsuspecting Panther bodies wobbled to death on those forsaken roads. Oh, how they longed for the senior center roundabouts of Boca Raton, Florida."

Apparently, to this day, if you see a ZJ in Russian traffic, you give them a wide berth, because that guy survived the wild '90s of Russia and is likely not someone to be messed with.

Its a pretty interesting read: https://jalopnik.com/the-jeep-grand-cherokee-you-never-knew-inside-russia-s-1832410569

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
11/2/19 12:13 a.m.

I would take a newer Suzuki Swift hatch. They were everywhere in Bermuda when I was there a couple weeks back. I wouldn't kick a newer Micra out of the garage either. Lastly, Versa Note is a solid car. I've had a manual one the last year and change and its been rock solid overall. People are amazed at the room inside it and I enjoy the simplicity of it w/no power options. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/2/19 2:47 a.m.

A new Suzuki Jimny. Seriously. It such a cool, back to basics, small offroader. is it slow? Yep. Would you die if the soccer mom in her 7k lb status symbol pushes you into a guardrail because she is too busy checking her InstaFaceTubeGram? Absolutely. She wouldn't even spill her nonfat, half-caf soy latte.

Its a modern Samurai that the rest of the world gets to enjoy sad

Dootz
Dootz Reader
11/2/19 3:55 a.m.

Top-2 picks would have to be the 5th-gen 4WS Prelude (EDM VTi/JDM SiR) or the Australian Tickford AU Falcons (with the 5.6 Windsor dialed up to combat GM's LS1)

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/2/19 8:52 a.m.

I want one of these so bad: 

I was just in Brasil and looked around hoping to see one. Nah.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
11/2/19 10:37 a.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

For my uses it could be pretty great. Not sure how they are on the highway but I bet it would be amazing with snow tires.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/2/19 11:17 a.m.

I'd love to have a German Ford Taunus GT Coupe. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LrIgG626jXpBlhdwwThGPvlMGdNvicVaFNfjKZCyIF79fMF9J8sYanDMFryiVSAw