1 2 3
BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
11/20/21 5:57 p.m.

Ok, long post ahead.  Writing stuff down helps me think.  We like having a 3rd car around for fun stuff and as a backup if one of our main drivers is down.  Not looking to buy something right away but with the market the way it is, I figured it wouldn't hurt to start keeping an eye out now.

With the Neon up for sale I've been doing some thinking about what I really want/need in a "fun" car.  The Neon is fun but too single purpose and my wife never really liked it.  I guess "cool" is subjective :P  IF she thought Neons are cool a less-modified one would be near the top of the list.

Budget would probably be $5kish with a little wiggle room for something really good.  I wanted to run out and get a new Veloster N until my wife pointed out that she'd really like a newer bigger mom-mobile if/when we have another kid and I'm more than ok saving our "finance a big purchase" moment for that.  When that happens I'd probably inherit her Mazda5 so we are pretty set for daily driving needs.

Big issue-I'm pretty tall with most of the height in my neck and torso so fitting in cars with a helmet is problematic.  To give an idea: I fit good with a helmet in the Neon, but that was with a Corbeau seat on sliders and I had to take the cushion out of the seat.  Miata might not be the answer here, and anything with a sunroof is right out.  In an NA with stock seating position my head makes a nice bump in the soft top.  Is there more room in an NC? I haven't been in a 924/944 for awhile but I remember it being pretty tight.  RX7 is similar. Something I could easily swap between a low-sitting racing bucket and stock seat would be helpful.

I would like: Something sturdy enough and simple to maintain so I can go play at the local club track a couple times a year without worrying about having to baby the car or constantly replace stuff.  Relatively inexpensive consumables and common parts is a plus so I usually gravitate toward smaller 4cylinder powered things.  I really want something that won't require a bunch of sorting and preventative maintenance right away but I know budget constraints come into play here. Fwd can be fun but the siren song of rwd is strong.  Doesn't need to be a perfectly balanced track machine, I do track day stuff for fun, not to chase laptimes.

She would like:  I'm not sure. Her taste in cars is pretty specific but hard to predict. She knows what she does or doesn't like when she sees it.  Most boxy 80s things are out.  She thinks MINIs are cool, and Miatas.  First gen. Foci are better than Neons, for some reason.  She liked the 318ti I had when we got married.

So I've thought of two ways to go:

Something older and interesting.  I'm just not sure what's out there that would fit what I want.

Or something small, light, and modern enough that it wouldn't require a ton of work to be reliable for occasional track duty.  She really likes her Mazda5 and a smaller version of that would probably be right up her alley.   I like the idea of a B spec type car that I could take to the track and really focus on fine tuning driving techniques.  Waterford Hills is tight and twisty so having power to not get run over by faster stuff isn't as much of an issue as it would be at bigger tracks.  But, I've seen a tall hatchback roll on track and I'm not a fan of rolling over. So there's that.  But, the SpecFits running around when I went to Gridlife at Gingerman looked like a ton of fun so there's that too.

I've read through this thread and will show her some of the ideas that came up in there.

On the (updated) list:

R50/53 MINI (it would have to be a really good one, but the want is hard)

NC Miata, If I could make it work with a helmet and a rollbar, need to try one on.

BMW 318ti, E36, E46, E30

S197 Mustang

Mazda2/Fiesta

New Beetle

Focus ZX3

Not on the list:

Neons, for some reason

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/20/21 6:13 p.m.

Does VW make the list? GTIs can be good for headroom especially with modified seat. 

Certainly, Beetle for headroom but I can understand it not make the right impression of "sports car." 

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
11/20/21 6:37 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Does VW make the list? GTIs can be good for headroom especially with modified seat. 

Certainly, Beetle for headroom but I can understand it not make the right impression of "sports car." 

The Golf/GTI is very accommodating for tall people, even with a sunroof and the stock seats you'd have to be extremely tall to have issues. If the OP is at all interested in this option I'd be happy to go take some measurements.

The problem with a cheap turbo Volkswagen is that you're going to have cheap turbo Volkswagen problems.

If you look around a bit a mk5 Golf or Jetta with a 5 cylinder and a manual transmission would probably go for peanuts these days. The engine and transmission are solid and aftermarket suspension options are effectively infinite. Fresh suspension bushings, Koni struts, Eibach springs and bars, and you'e got a fun, cheap track car. Fun bonus: the 5 cylinder sounds amazing.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/21 6:41 p.m.

I'm not tall and getting in and out of a race seat in an AW11 MR2 requires a lot of ducking.  I will have to lean my head down and pull my helmet on sitting in the car.  My Impreza has plenty of head room on stock seats.  With a racing seat it should be cavernous inside.  

I'd seriously shop NCs if I were you.  A lot of cars on your list at their age and in your price range may be very unreliable compared to your Neon.  

Personally, I'd reconsider selling the Neon.  

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/20/21 7:08 p.m.

My 6'10" acquaintenance drives VWs and has clearance. They seem very tall friendly.

Not sure how a sunroof delete is any different than a sunroof, but at 6'0" I fit in an e36 with inches to spare with a helmet in Vaders.

Try out an NC. Not sure what 5k$ gets you but they are pretty nice. More of a car than an NA but still small enough to be fun.

BlueInGreen - Jon
11/20/21 7:17 p.m.

For a dedicated track car I'd absolutely just keep the Neon, but I just don't do enough racecar stuff on my own to justify a car that only gets driven to and from the track.

To make sense as the fun car in the garage its gotta be something my wife is excited about too.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/20/21 7:21 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

My guess (but I could be wrong) is that haggerd, old cop car will not be looked upon more kindly by your wife than how she looks at a Neon

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
11/20/21 7:23 p.m.

If you fit an NC that's the way to go.

If not a VW Golf is a good choice but alas they are boxy.

Honda Fits can be great fun to drive IF you are willing to live with the low power. I run an 80whp car at most track days and have a blast with it.

BlueInGreen - Jon
11/20/21 7:25 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Nope, ha. A Crown Vic gets the nod but not a cutesy Neon.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/21 7:34 p.m.

I believe there's a fairly well sorted NX2000 for sale on the forum with GRM ownership history. 

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
11/20/21 7:45 p.m.

E36 was my first thought.  E46 would also fit well.

BlueInGreen - Jon
11/20/21 7:58 p.m.

Our text thread looks like this, lol.

E46 gets a thumbs up. New Beetle does too because it's different but a Golf is "meh." NX2000 is a nope.

Her list has NC Miata and R50/53 MINI at the top.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/20/21 8:10 p.m.

I like the idea of a 4x100 car for cheaper consumables, but you are right a lot of the more modern ones are tall and prone to rollover.

Are you going to invest money in these?  Many of them I would not want to track without at least some minor suspension mods, wheels, tires, and brakes.

Mazda 3?  What about a z33/G35?  Edit: No way a Z32 will work if you are tall.

B15 Sentra SpecV is probably one of the easiest ways to get a torsen in your budget.

11/20/21 8:12 p.m.

From her list, NC, everything else is no bueno to work on. 

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/20/21 8:29 p.m.

A $5k budget doesn't get you very far these days. Maybe a Civic Si? S197 Mustang?

BlueInGreen - Jon
11/20/21 8:29 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Are you going to invest money in these?  Many of them I would not want to track without at least some minor suspension mods, wheels, tires, and brakes.

I usually plan that things like shocks, springs, brakes, and tires are getting done as maintenance anyway so upgrades there are probably a given.

Anything beyond that? Depends on the particular car I guess.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
11/20/21 8:45 p.m.

Fit gets my vote.

BlueInGreen - Jon
11/20/21 8:49 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah everything's expensive these days. I'm not planning to buy anything until the snow is gone in the spring but want to be prepared if the right deal pops up.

I would rock a Mustang, V6 even. She doesn't hate that idea but it just can't be red.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
11/21/21 9:58 a.m.

Mustang really sounds like a great idea. With a few suspension upgrades I'm sure it'd be a lot of fun.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/21/21 10:50 a.m.

Mustang, 350z, G35 or NC would be my recommendation. NC are nice and roomy completely 

BlueInGreen - Jon
11/21/21 11:10 a.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

From her list, NC, everything else is no bueno to work on. 

So, "Sure love, we can get a MINI but you have to help me work on it."

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
11/21/21 11:25 a.m.

The NC is gonna be a good dual purpose car.   Taking the wife out to dinner in the convertible is at least as nice as taking your whip to a few track days a year.  And since the NC is basically a short RX8 chassis, it's much roomier than the NA/NB/NDs are.

Speaking of, if you buy cheap and save for the inevitable motor swap, an RX-8 might be a good choice.    They can be had for next to free anymore.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
11/21/21 11:30 a.m.

NC is gonna be tough at your height. I'm 6'3" and found them tight.

11/21/21 11:31 a.m.

You want a fun car, not a divorce. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/21/21 11:51 a.m.

I don't fit in a miata worth a damn.  I'm not all that tall but I'm all torso.  To fit in a miata and even get sorta close to passing the 2" broomstick rule means installing a drop floor and then hard mounting the seat to the floor.  Combine that with my general disdain for miata's and they're a hard pass for me.

Seems like you should decide whether you want a front wheel drive or rear wheel drive car and then go from there.  For front wheel drive a GTI is really hard to beat.  Just make sure you buy one that's been maintained and has the records to prove it.

Rear wheel drive I like the E36's a lot, same thing applies, buy one that's been maintained.  Although they're super easy to work on and parts are surprisingly inexpensive...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sRKOUyn0nzHErbZKb467otWqJEZb7FR1JAzGyCNDGKGWWdBQeUEiRASxOaiKsCUx