1 2 3
RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/22 10:13 p.m.

Surprised no one mentioned putting an 07k in the miata yet.  Am I on the right forum?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/22 10:24 p.m.

Will a 2.3L ecoboost fit in a NA?  Will it wreck the handling characteristics?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/22 11:32 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

I went down that rabbit hole about a month ago.  No kit existing and only one guy on YouTube that I think never completed the swap.  I have enough projects so no need to invent a whole new one.  At least there's kits for the 944 07K swap.

untchabl
untchabl HalfDork
1/24/22 1:14 a.m.

Another vote for adding forced induction to your NA.

Caprigrip
Caprigrip Reader
1/24/22 1:34 a.m.

I am with you.  I have owned my 90 Miata for 23 years now and it has been turbo (GReddy) for the past 20 of those years.  150 rwhp and it makes me smile each and every time i drive it.  It remained in the garage while an aircooled 911 and 3 MKIV Supras came and went.   For pure driving fun, hands down the turbo Miata wins.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/22 6:57 a.m.

I just asked dean1484 JR about selling the 951 and got a hard no he wants to keep it and fix it.  

I am not sure you would like the 951 as a replacement as power to weight it is similar but there is a lot more GT in a 951.  It is sporty and can be very fast but agile is not how I would describe any 944 variant.  I would boost the power in what you have be it turbo or super charging.  

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/22 6:59 a.m.

You already know that Miata, and with the FM kit (consider the reputation of FM for quality products and customer service) you can be confident of the final product. 

No matter how carefully chosen, buying a different car has more potential for unpleasant surprises. 

Stampie
1/24/22 7:56 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I figured. But if you ever decide to I'm your Huckleberry. I'd even keep it factory because of the rarity.

Stampie
1/24/22 7:57 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Pretty sure the FM kits are NLA. I would at least like to get one of their manifolds if I don't go supercharger.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
1/24/22 8:11 a.m.

Sell your miata, buy a miata with a supercharger/turbo already attached?

Mr_Asa
1/24/22 8:13 a.m.
Andy Neuman said:

Sell your miata, buy a miata with a supercharger/turbo already attached?

Almost always a losing proposition.  Unless you know the car intimately, you're never sure what problems are going to pop up.

Opti
Opti Dork
1/24/22 9:04 a.m.

I was going to recommend a c5 or c6. I bounced between miatas and a corvette then finally to a 6th gen 1LE. A well sorted C5 feels like a miata just more, atleast to me. If you dont want a vette then just boost your miata.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/24/22 10:28 a.m.

Keep the NA.

Plan A (n/a):  keep it as light as possible, and VVT swap on standalone ECU w/ I/H/E... ~140-150 rwhp.  Loads of fun!

Plan B (boost):  MKTurbo kit and tune for ~200-220hp.  You can always build a long block and turn it up later.

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/24/22 10:32 a.m.

Unless you're getting bored with it, dance with the lady you brung.

JAdams
JAdams Reader
1/24/22 10:50 a.m.

I've been in similar shoes many times and always come running back to the Miata. This time I went nuts on a perfect one-owner Miata and it really is my perfect weekend car. I may eventually add another car to the mix but I'll never be able to sell it. It has Fox Coilovers, Ms3Pro, TDR Rotrex, Wilwoods, and much more and it is an absolute riot. Highly recommend. I will say though, I'm super deep into the car financially as it all adds up quick. Before this car, I've had many different sports cars to include s2ks, LS swapped FD, C5Z06, 350Z, etc. Driving experience is better in my miata than any of those other previous cars. 

Good luck deciding! If you're ever near Huntsville, shoot me a pm and I'd happily let you drive the car!

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
1/24/22 12:11 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

As a Datsun guy I would say pass on a 510 over a Miata for the intended task. The the B-sedan vintage race cars put out 200hp to the wheels but are only turning Spec Miata lap times.  I love my Datsun but they are crude little cars (It's why I love mine).

The performance wouldn't be my primary reason; The Miata chassis is nicer to drive and the steering and gearbox are so much better.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/24/22 12:43 p.m.

Does your state have emissions testing, and does the car need to pass it?

Been down the turbo road with my NA Miata.  Had fun and learned a lot.  Other than turning a lot of nuts and bolts, the two most critical things to decide on are the ECU and the manifold. I guess the turbo itself is important too, but I made lots of power for long time with a $150 Ebay T3/T4 job.

For the ECU I used Megasquirt and had a good experience; I chose MS2 but I would highly recommend MS3, it's worth every extra penny.  Regarding manifolds- anything welded together will crack sooner or later, make sure you get a good quality cast one.  The Trackspeed Engineering manifolds were the jam but they're NLA; I know FM also had good quality ones.  The newer Kraken ones are supposed to be good (despite the ironic name) but I think delivery times are hit or miss.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/22 12:48 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

IIRC the FM turbo kits have CARB EO numbers, which should sort out the emissions issue if Stampie lives in a place where that is relevant.

calteg
calteg Dork
1/24/22 12:51 p.m.

Absolutely love my turbo miata, and it's a smallish turbo, low boost (8psi) build. 

Mr_Asa
1/24/22 12:52 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

Does your state have emissions testing, and does the car need to pass it?

Florida.  LOL, no.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
1/24/22 12:56 p.m.

Keep your NA and add power as necessary.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/22 1:48 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Pretty sure the FM kits are NLA. I would at least like to get one of their manifolds if I don't go supercharger.

Honestly, I had the same concern about availability. That's why I went to their website first, to see if the kit was still listed. It's possible that they aren't selling it anymore, but they are at least still advertising it.

I keep waiting for Keith to join in to this conversation.

calteg
calteg Dork
1/24/22 2:36 p.m.

I believe they're still selling, but I'd wager that global supply chain issues are probably keeping multiple pieces of the FM kit out of comission 

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/24/22 3:25 p.m.

IIRC Flyin Miata is still in the turbo kit game but only the low-boost stuff that doesn't require ECU tuning and thus put them in the crosshairs of the EPA's enforcement efforts.  Obviously Keith will be the authority here.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
1/24/22 4:48 p.m.

5 cylinder Atlas + turbo swap in a Chevette.

(not entire serious but I was tired of seeing people scream "MIATA" at you)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gLmdS0YHZPNq0jU2QPDPTCm6UhQfEWZMu8ljyna2SgdFDe1zplt3CxFOXusOhsUH