1 2 3 4 5
Rigante
Rigante Reader
6/14/22 5:49 a.m.
Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/14/22 6:32 a.m.

My first two thoughts were Z32 300zx's and Saab 900's.

Oddball choice would be 87/88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupes.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
6/14/22 7:01 a.m.

The early mark 1 and 2 Jaguars.
Have a look at what Retropower Cars are doing. They've just finished a sedan (Project Utah) and they are converting a 4 door to a 2 door (Project Churchill). It has me looking for a basket case to work on. However I think time and talent might be lacking on my part...

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/14/22 7:31 a.m.

Volvo 1800, but that is basically what Cyan is hoping to do and has said they have basically copied the Singer business model.  The current Cyan 1800 making the media rounds is apparently a somewhat unforgiving car to drive, so it will be interesting to see if the next car they build has more of a GT focus.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
6/14/22 7:32 a.m.
NOHOME said:

MGBs, because it is a virgin market and there is a lot of underappreciated blank canvas out there. Of course, you also need to be a visionary and marketing genius like Singer. I think his cars are crap.

I spent nearly a year restoring cars at a British car shop and I can attest that a nicely restored MGB is a beautiful and underappreciated thing-and is also the inspiration for the Miata. MGB's are huge fun to drive and everybody should experience one

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/14/22 8:08 a.m.

FD RX-7

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/22 8:16 a.m.
earlybroncoguy1 said:

Old station wagons.

Wait, hear me out:

Body on frame, front engine, rear wheel drive, they share tons of suspension, body, and interior parts with classic musclecars so there's already a huge pool of parts and tech already in place. They're an alternative to just about everything - I mean, when's the last time you saw a real, live, station wagon on the road? Tons of room, useful as hell. They can be cool - take a look at the Audi RS6 or the AMG E63.

Restore it, restomod it, hot rod it, whatever - there are no rules.

My uncle actually did a restomod on a Nomad and it was fantastic.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/14/22 8:23 a.m.

BMW 2002. I'm actually surprised that there isn't someone already doing Singer0like full builds on them.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/14/22 8:36 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

If I had enough funds: Fox Mustangs.  You can literally build them into anything thanks to the aftermarket.  The problem is that like Porsches, they are now out of my price range.

Ford would make an absolute killing with a body-in-white Fox Mustang. 

Puddy46
Puddy46 New Reader
6/14/22 8:38 a.m.

04-06 GTO.

Big dumb American V8 with RWD and a 6 speed.  Great car that needs a little loving in the style department, but would look really good with some massaging.  

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/14/22 8:40 a.m.

4th or 5th gen Civics.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/22 9:00 a.m.

Jaguar XJ13

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
6/14/22 9:01 a.m.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/14/22 9:06 a.m.

Z32 300zx

Porsche 924

2nd Gen RX7

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/14/22 9:19 a.m.
earlybroncoguy1 said:

Old station wagons.

Wait, hear me out:

Body on frame, front engine, rear wheel drive, they share tons of suspension, body, and interior parts with classic musclecars so there's already a huge pool of parts and tech already in place. They're an alternative to just about everything - I mean, when's the last time you saw a real, live, station wagon on the road? Tons of room, useful as hell. They can be cool - take a look at the Audi RS6 or the AMG E63.

Restore it, restomod it, hot rod it, whatever - there are no rules.

This idea has merit.  Have you seen resale values on CTS-V Wagons?

modern-ish diesel swap into a 1970's wagon. Heck, even LS based stuff.   I know there is some market for 90's roadmasters, and the 80's stuff has some merit, but I think the big money is with the 70's woodgrain vista-cruiser type stuff.  Add modern drivetrain, update the interior, make it stop and handle somewhat like a modern car...  I bet you could get $100k pretty easy.  Only problem will be finding cars to build, most of them were used up and crushed a long time ago.

You can get all the parts in england to build a brand new MGB or Spridget. Again, add modern drivetrain and brakes/suspension. I think a spridget could be pretty awesome as a basis for a sleek go-kart for the street performance car, but you just rarely see someone pull off modernizing the bodystyle. 

MG stuff is kinda happening...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/14/22 9:22 a.m.

Imagine if you had something like a foose restyle towards a functional performance edgo on a spridget...

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/22 9:57 a.m.

I think where Singer gets it right is that they started with a desirable car that people were already lusting for but maybe didn't want to deal with all the downsides that come with it, old school carbs/fuel injection, HVAC that is barely adequate, NVH etc. They build from the ground up still keeping that classic style but come out with something that functions more like a modern car. 

I think dyintorace is right that a 2002 would be great candidate or any any of the BMW's from that era (E3, E9) as they have those performance bones but a more modern experience would be appealing for those that want the style without the sacrifice. There's lots of great modern engines/drive trains to choose from in the BMW lineup as well. That's more of less a copy of what Singer is doing though with the same era of car.

As a new generation comes into money I'm sure the cars this applies to will change, I'm sure an Integra, Supra, NSX, RX-7 etc. would have buyers longing for those dream cars of their youth with a more modern experience. 

It wouldn't surprise me as well when this trend starts doing EV conversions too, we probably aren't far away from that becoming a big thing.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/14/22 10:19 a.m.

mk1 Ford Capri.  And maybe mk2/mk3 update/backdates so you get what is basically a restomod mk3 with a US VIN when complete.

I would really like a mk1 Capri that looks like a Perana but with 3.7 v6 power from a Mustang.  I can't be the only one... but I doubt there are that many Americans who would pay Singer-esque money for one of these.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/14/22 11:15 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Jaguar XJ13

A UK company is building replicas, complete with a four cam engine.  https://buildingthelegend.co.uk/the-tera-quad-cam-v12

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
6/14/22 11:23 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

Hillman Imp.  No, not joking.  I guarantee they'd sell at least one, assuming I've won the lotto by then.

Been done - but was bit by the ugly bug. Clan Crusader.

But some (Davrian) looked better.

Plus versions like the Ginetta G15 etc. - the Imp was the basis for so many cars and almost got produced cars. As a former Imp owner I'd have been all over this one:

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
6/14/22 11:28 a.m.

I spent nearly a year restoring cars at a British car shop and I can attest that a nicely restored MGB is a beautiful and underappreciated thing-and is also the inspiration for the Miata. MGB's are huge fun to drive and everybody should experience one

But they don't look as nice as the MGA did, but of course it had the hang overs from a previous generation like removable side curtains. The MGA coupe avoided that and is to my eye (as an an owner of one) a better looking car than the also very worthy MGB GT.

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
6/14/22 11:28 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

That is gorgeous!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/14/22 11:54 a.m.
NOHOME said:
californiamilleghia said:
NOHOME said:

Of course, you also need to be a visionary and marketing genius like Singer. I think his cars are crap.

I really like Singer cars for how subtle the changes are from a stock 1973 RS .

just all the small things , the material used for the interior panels and seats , etc, plus a big 4 liter motor :)

YES its way over my budget , but I am not the customer they are aiming for.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I think his art is great. I think his CARS are crap. I doubt that his engineering skills exceed those of porsche engineers and manufacturing. I could of course be wrong.

The question was "What well known under appreciated car is out there that would be a good canvas for my auto-art that I could subsequently sell for a lot of $$$?"

I have had the pleasure of seeing a few of the Singer cars in person and the 73 911 I sold a few years back is heading there soon because new owner has more money then God. 

They are single handedly the best modified car I have ever seen. Full stop.  Perfect package and actually a decent deal given the work they put in. you could put one up at the Ridler and not feel out of place and then drive home in it. 

To the question though, I would love to see early flying cloud's built the same way.  Electric conversion though. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
6/14/22 12:01 p.m.

Smit Vehicle Engineering

they take a z4 convertible, give it a BMW v8 - hard top it and throw a bunch of carbon fiber body panels and give you a z8 slicktop you never new you wanted. 

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
6/14/22 12:29 p.m.

First generation Buick Riviera, facelift Corvair, GMT400 Chevy if I were looking for a truck, and Triumph GT6+ would all be on my short list.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uceFWIj16BqVs1AwP8OfJ244zZEQBFypgp1rLoZ4R66ShOYTMuzeullZOPZKUFR7