1 2
dropstep
dropstep Reader
3/14/15 8:20 p.m.

yeah it was 85 a ton for car bodies here last week. still more then it was back in 03-05 when i was scrapping for a living. sheet tin was 20 bucks a ton in 05

RedGT
RedGT Reader
1/8/16 3:00 p.m.

In reply to carfanatic91:

Not sure if that's a spam post or not. A little odd for a first post on a 3-day old account for sure.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/8/16 3:10 p.m.

Although, this thread being brought back up top is relevant to my intrests...

My mom has a '00 ford exploder (4.0 V6) with rust issues and only about 100k (ran when parked about a year or two ago, should still run) that she needs to offload and the junkers are only offering something like $150

Car is in Western MD (and I am down close to DC), I might look into seeing what deal crazy ray's might have if I drive it in, but any other ideas to maximize her money would be great. (situation requires that I maximize money from it for her)

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
1/8/16 3:14 p.m.

Scrap is so far down right now that most junkyards are paying better then scrap yards again. Parts are wear the money is again.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/8/16 3:19 p.m.

Just got off the phone with Crazy Ray's (now LKQ), they offered $145 if I drove it to them.

DAMN, scrap price has gone DOWN!

($145 is the junkyard price!)

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
1/8/16 3:22 p.m.

I would think a 2000 explorer that runs and drives should be worth at least $1000 no matter how bad the rust is.

Throw it on craigslist.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
1/8/16 3:30 p.m.

Pretty sure rust= failed inspection in MD still. If you find someone who wants parts or an off road toy you migh get 500 on cl

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
1/8/16 3:35 p.m.

The inspection is for the buyer to worry about, I'd list it at 700 and see what happens.

Someone's gonna want a cheap commuter.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/8/16 3:42 p.m.

It has rust holes the size of softballs in the rockers, needs balljoints, tires, horn doesnt work, and it seems to be growing moss on it. Yeah, gonna throw it on C-list and see what bites.

There is no way it would pass inspection. but it is close to West Virginia...

Type Q
Type Q Dork
1/8/16 6:44 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: It has rust holes the size of softballs in the rockers, needs balljoints, tires, horn doesnt work, and it seems to be growing moss on it. Yeah, gonna throw it on C-list and see what bites. There is no way it would pass inspection. but it is close to West Virginia...

Send it to Michigan.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/9/16 2:36 p.m.

ECM to the canoe thread please

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/9/16 10:17 p.m.

On it Thanks!

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
1/14/16 2:49 p.m.

I know the place around the corner from the dealer I work at will give us about $400 for a car that we throw their way.

EastCoastMojo
2/14/18 5:53 p.m.

Zombie thread, canoe removed 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
2/15/18 6:47 a.m.

These type of business have really disappeared around here. Even LKQ won’t even come take one of my cars away. They want me to bring it to them on my dime. Crap. $150 for the car and the tow company I checked with wants $75 to deliver it to them. So $75 bucks for a 3500lb car. 

Blaise
Blaise HalfDork
2/15/18 7:03 a.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

These type of business have really disappeared around here. Even LKQ won’t even come take one of my cars away. They want me to bring it to them on my dime. Crap. $150 for the car and the tow company I checked with wants $75 to deliver it to them. So $75 bucks for a 3500lb car. 

Yep. Towing is expensive. If you can get it to them, you get $.

If they gotta pick it up, they just cover the tow.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/15/18 12:43 p.m.
Type Q said:
Apexcarver wrote: It has rust holes the size of softballs in the rockers, needs balljoints, tires, horn doesnt work, and it seems to be growing moss on it. Yeah, gonna throw it on C-list and see what bites. There is no way it would pass inspection. but it is close to West Virginia...

Send it to Michigan.

Sounds pretty cherry for a MI truck!  Pressure-wash it, take pix while still the truck is still wet, ask a grand if it's 4wd.

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 New Reader
2/16/18 9:26 a.m.

Got $175 for an '05 Taurus that had a bad trans, otherwise was clean.  I just had zero time to touch the car and it had to go.  A few years ago i had my father's '02 T&C picked up by a guy that offered 400 for it.  Also bad trans, complete leather interior and all. 

We can all agree, scrap prices have tanked.  Not sure how some of these guys I see driving around in half rotted out S10s and Rangers make money driving around with a small load of scrap which usually includes metal patio furniture in their beds.  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/16/18 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Stanger2000 :

You'd be surprised at how low low income really is.  About a month ago I was working is a low income area and the gentleman was interested in how much I made.  Turns out he makes $150 in a good week.  At that level every dollar counts.

EastCoastMojo
8/6/18 7:12 p.m.

Zombified again, canoe deleted

Brokeback (Matt)
Brokeback (Matt) Reader
10/16/18 9:13 a.m.

Canoe again

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
10/16/18 10:35 a.m.

Do we have an award for the most-canoe'd thread?

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/13/22 10:56 p.m.

And a canoe strikes this thread once again 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
5/15/23 7:41 p.m.

Impressive amount of canoes

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bdU128Pjt9OU0L8ABMwuRuEmteOGfJhhw6WbaIJXFnsW3bVSfoNoJI5bqXaiINPM