mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/23/18 12:37 a.m.

Dad “needs” a new car, and he also needs to tow a 5000lb boat. He isn’t taking it cross country—just across town, and only about 6 trips a year since it lives in the marina most of the time. What he really wants is a Macan, but they have a very small tow rating. Which brings us to the F Pace. 

Other than having a horrible name, what do we know? I know only what I learned from Richard Hammond. And I kinda forgot about them until tonight when I saw one on the way home, so looked up the tow rating. 5290. So, that’s damn good. How is the rest of the car?

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/18 2:22 a.m.

It’s based around the Jag XF and it seems to be pretty well regarded.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/23/18 8:22 a.m.

Most I've heard from make it seem like a bargain compared to its competition.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/23/18 9:25 a.m.

CUVs look like a sea of sameness these days, but the F-Pace stands out and has some presence on the street.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/23/18 10:15 a.m.

They look great.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
6/23/18 10:32 a.m.

I spent a week with one outside of Toronto with avis. Afterwards I looked up how I could swing a 60k car payment. I couldn't. 

I loved that car. It's not often you end up with a supercharged v6 as a rental, and I took full advantage of it. The acceleration is stupid, the looks are gorgeous, and the interior amazing. Controls were easy, well laid out, easy to get to everything for the most part. Navigation wasnt the easiest to use though. I'm not sure if all keep in lane systems are bad, but that one was bad. If you cross the line it would turn back in, only cross the other line. Gas mileage was like 17mpg, but I didn't exactly go easy on the throttle. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/23/18 11:00 a.m.

Do they all have that towing capacity regardless of engine choice?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/23/18 11:27 a.m.

These and the Volvo xc60 and xc90 are really nice small SUV's. 

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/23/18 11:51 a.m.

They have a waterproof wristband that will unlock the truck. I still like the Ford pushbutton locks, but that seems pretty great too.

I heard a news item earlier this week that says new cars are the most reliable they've ever been, with Hyundai, Kia, Genesis, and Porsche tops, and Volvo, Land Rover and Jag at the bottom.

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/25/18 7:12 a.m.

is the boat 5000lbs with or without the trailer?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/25/18 8:34 a.m.
stylngle2003 said:

is the boat 5000lbs with or without the trailer?

Total we estimate to be about 5k. It is actually probably less than that, but we guess on the conservative side to be safe--we're at 4000 with just hull, engine, and gas. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
6/25/18 8:44 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

They look great.

+1. There’s one in town that turns my head every time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bd8LQzjhTDKnMZCGvWcW1A7ExLuSAwTqiKtVt13vMukU0GtWBchiQYQvpunTc6Rw