Steven Cole Smith
Steven Cole Smith Contributor
1/20/21 9:12 a.m.

How’s the health of professional motorsports?

The longterm answer is probably, “Fine.”

Short term? Who knows? These are unprecedented times. And you know why.

When the number of dead hit 250,000 in the United States, it meant a loss of more people than the population of  cities like Norfolk or Richmond, Virginia, Salt Lake City, Baton Rouge, Birmingham, Little Rock, …

Read the rest of the story

sir_mike
sir_mike New Reader
1/20/21 5:15 p.m.

Let's all hope for a return to normal in 2021.

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
1/20/21 8:00 p.m.

now think about this: there's 332m people in the usa, and 471000 deaths. that's less than a quarter of a percent: 0.14 to be exact. in the grand scheme of things it ain't that much but i supposed personally it would reshape your entire world. hopefully things cool down soon

pugwonk
pugwonk New Reader
1/25/21 12:01 a.m.

I just can't wait to get back on a track and see the friends I only see at races. Though boy do I have a lot of money now

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
1/25/21 10:37 a.m.

I too noticed I have a lot more money in my bank account. Mostly because I haven't bought tires.

I did an autocross in January, one in February and then nothing until the fall; I did a track day in September, A vintage race in October and then a track day in November.

Track days for me have been kind of weird; having to actually pay the entry fee, as an instructor my entry fee was always covered, but now that we have no instructors and I now have a whole lot of down time. Normally I have a student and a novice on top of my own run group so I'm in a car 6 hours a day. It seemed odd to have an hour and a half between sessions.

While I'm bummed I am not complaining; our favorite Italian restaurant closed as they couldn't make it on take out alone and just this past week my sister in law lost her best friend to Covid.

I can tell you that in that anything outdoor activities in my area have seen a huge surge in interest.

AaronT
AaronT Reader
1/25/21 4:19 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Same here: Asheville is already an outdoorsy kind of place but every outdoor activity is massively more popular than normal. I went skiing on one of the hills near here Friday and it was packed like a pre-covid weekend.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3jc4S0pM0HKsvvY3ZWkGPMqGLYw42PHOS5dK5Lkn0u8RSDnHxMbncFn0bADjoZBA