Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
4/20/20 6:01 p.m.

I used to keep a fire extinguisher in my daily drivers but somehow got out of the habit.  I do have one in my tow vehicle but that could probably use an update. The only time I've ever used one on the street was to put out someone elese car but I'd still like to have one.

So what are people using these days?

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
4/20/20 6:15 p.m.

I would avoid Kidde. I lost all respect for them when they were recalled.

boxedfox (Forum Supporter)
boxedfox (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/20/20 7:27 p.m.

Got a little First Alert ABC drychem bottle in the truck. Would love to have a bigger Sodium Bicarbonate one like the racecar but I haven't found a nice place to mount it securely enough. Don't need one of those flying around the cabin in a crash.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
4/20/20 9:24 p.m.

I have a Halon (Halon 1211-1301) extinguisher in one of my cars. The problem is they are quite expensive but are clean if you have to use it. The dry chemical extinguishers are inexpensive however make a real mess when used. The powder is very corrosive and hard to clean up. However, I guess if you have a fire large enough you need an extinguisher none of that maters.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
4/20/20 10:14 p.m.

I don't know what they're called, and I can't quite remember where I saw it, but somewhere on YT I saw someone mention a sort of fire extinguisher stick.  It was a one-time use deal, but it was only 2" in diameter or so, maybe a foot long, and when you needed it you aimed it at the fire and ripped a tab off or something.  When I first put my Microsquirt project on the road I stuck a fire extinguisher in there.  Seems like the little stick thing would be ideal.  I'll have to see if I can find that.

boxedfox (Forum Supporter)
boxedfox (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/20/20 11:03 p.m.

In reply to NorseDave :

Was it one of these?

Element - Advanced Fire Protection

They look interesting, but I'm not sure how well they will work in windy conditions. All of the demonstration videos show them sticking it within 2 feet of the base of the flames.

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
4/20/20 11:04 p.m.

This thread made me remember I needed to order a new fire extinguisher for the Mustang....

...and now a fire suppression system is on the way.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
4/20/20 11:43 p.m.

In reply to boxedfox (Forum Supporter) :

Any one have experience with these? The small size is appealing. I could throw one in each car and not even notice. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/21/20 2:14 p.m.

Paging Woody. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/21/20 2:55 p.m.

2BTP or halotron(BRX) is a good aviation approved replacement for Halon.  Halon is getting more and more expensive and there are alternatives out there.  Halotron is like half the price of halon at this point.  

https://fireextinguisherdepot.com/fire-extinguishers/1-4-lb-halotron.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoJr65qX66AIVmpOzCh3InwMNEAQYByABEgL11_D_BwE

https://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/articles/2011_q4/3/

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
4/21/20 7:12 p.m.
boxedfox (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to NorseDave :

Was it one of these?

Element - Advanced Fire Protection

They look interesting, but I'm not sure how well they will work in windy conditions. All of the demonstration videos show them sticking it within 2 feet of the base of the flames.

Not sure if that was the brand, but that style, definitely.  As spandak noted, beauty is its small enough that you could just put one in the map pocket of every car and forget about it (hopefully forever!). 

Fueled by Caffeine
4/22/20 8:20 a.m.

In reply to NorseDave :

I watched the video on the site.  I'll tell you that I don't like how close the guy gets to the fire to put it out.    I guess better than nothing. My experience in fire fighting is limited to aircraft systems.  So I'm a bit out of wheelhouse here. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/22/20 8:22 a.m.

I grab small ones from the junkyard and every car has one. I have used them more than I'd like to admit. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
4/22/20 10:40 a.m.

In my case I'm looking for something that prevents a small fire (carb, minor electrical etc), the sticks might be the way to go. 

Fueled by Caffeine
4/22/20 10:58 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

the prices are silly though.  That stick is $80.... you can buy a halotron extinguisher for that.. 

Nugi
Nugi Reader
4/22/20 3:20 p.m.

I carry a cheap kiddie. They have been used, and the recall was done quickly and effectively. I keep one in each car, but would prefer a nicer one. I justify the nasty style by comparison to not having one, although the halon-style are compelling as the newer ones become affordable. 

My only issue with MOST of the people who carry extinguishers is that they are not secured, and present more danger than protection to the occupant(s). A metal cylinder hurling thru your cabin after an impact is not cool. Most companies included plastic holders are not even sufficient for static wall-mounting much less in a spiritedly driven automobile. Pay extra and buy good mounts. Zip ties/anything plastic, are not enough imho.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
4/22/20 3:36 p.m.

That is a bit pricey, I put my extinguishers in the underfloor storage area or the trunk.

If the car is burning bad enough for me to need and extinguisher "right now", I'm likely getting out and letting it burn.

My want / need is strictly to put out a small fire.

Allfloridafire
Allfloridafire None
5/28/21 6:45 p.m.

I would recomend go for Kidde Fire extinguishers. It can be one of the good fire extinguisher to carry.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
5/28/21 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Allfloridafire :

Will it work in my canoe?

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
5/28/21 7:07 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Only until it sinks smiley

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork