slantsix
slantsix Reader
1/4/22 2:06 p.m.

I am interested in learning CMP in Kershaw, SC.

What Do I need to get to learn the track remotely from home?

Thanks GRM...

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
1/4/22 2:13 p.m.

Any kind of sim racing is a wonderful way to learn.  If that isn't an option then look online for video from the track for a car of similar speed to yours.  Many tracks even have someone doing a turn by turn walk through video or someone's website talks about how to handle each corner which is good when combined with video.   

CMP in particular isn't all that hard.  I'm sure there are enough people here who know it well to talk you through it, me included   

slantsix
slantsix Reader
1/4/22 2:31 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Thanks any specific sim racing recommendations?

Greg

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/4/22 3:13 p.m.

IMO iRacing is the standard, their track modeling is really really good and I use it to learn new tracks all the time.  To run it you need a good computer, a subscription, a wheel/pedal set, and for the most part you need to buy each car and track that you plan to use, so the buy-in is rather high but for someone serious about motorsports IMO it's worth it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/22 4:03 p.m.

Assetto Corsa is a good option with only a one-time cost (at most devil), there are tons of mods out there for it as it's relatively easy to develop for, similar to the rFactor series.

Track here (signup required to download):

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/carolina-motorsports-park.35849/

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/4/22 7:51 p.m.
slantsix said:

I am interested in learning CMP in Kershaw, SC.

What Do I need to get to learn the track remotely from home?

Thanks GRM...

Are you running OLOA?

I've got it in Assetto Coursa for some practice Simracing

slantsix
slantsix Reader
1/4/22 8:52 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

No, That would be epic though.. I could never get the proper time off work during that time of year to do OLOA.  Also Prolly above my paygrade in the hobby.

Just some Prep for a Lemons Race..  I did look up some Videos and the Track layout does look simple as mentioned earlier ... nothing like touristenfahrten on the Nordschleife. I Think It would take a full Sabine Schmitz' Lifetime to learn that one. smiley

Thanks!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/4/22 8:55 p.m.

Cmp is easy to learn, but can be tricky to go fast at first.  Some of the turns require some precision to carry proper speed and big commitment.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/4/22 9:35 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Nonsense,  your car will dictate more than a computer can simulate without proper data to input. 
Perhaps once you  have valid data to provide. Then you shall have the basis for improvement. 
If you have input from cars like yours. You have the basis for  the required data. 
   Realize that even with such a road map  it's up to you to follow it.  There is a world of difference between sitting at a computer and being strapped in the seat.  

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
1/4/22 10:18 p.m.

I would use iRacing first if they have it available. For example, I do some laps on NJMP Thunderbolt before my first day there every season as a refresher.

I just purchased Assetto Corsa because Putnam Park is on it, and I plan to go there this summer. I downloaded NJMP Lightning for the game and used the E30 M3 on it and it felt pretty accurate. Not iRacing levels accurate in terms of "feel" but close enough to my E36.

BradLTL
1/5/22 6:56 a.m.
frenchyd said:

There is a world of difference between sitting at a computer and being strapped in the seat.  

Agree to this statement, however running a reasonably accurate sim does very much help you understand the flow of the course, what corner comes next, where to position the car, and many other things.  In my experience, a Sim is a great way to learn a track for a real world event.

Once you understand how your car handles in the real world, the sim can do a fairly good job of replicating those characteristics.  You'll never quite get it right, and you'll never get the seat of the pants feel, but again it is a really good tool to learn.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/5/22 7:42 a.m.

When we did VIR North for Champ Car i spent weeks going through videos of laps by pro drivers on YouTube. Between Randy Pobst, Professor Apex, Chris Cobetto(GRM video!) and others there was a ton of great information on going around the course.

Check Youtube, type in the track and layout and see what comes up. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/5/22 8:08 a.m.

Youtube is your friend. Mid-Ohio and Road America I was....apprehensive about. Those are known, cool, big tracks. I watched vids from from slower cars as much as possible to get a "correct perspective" or if they were fast cars I would slow the video down 25%

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/5/22 8:13 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Sonic probably has more track time than you and definitely has more sim time than you so he's a pretty good judge of both. 

BradLTL
1/5/22 9:01 a.m.

This may help.  Here's some notes from a conversation I had with a friend who instructs there all the time.

slantsix
slantsix Reader
1/5/22 6:51 p.m.

Thanks for all of your Ideas.

Greg

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
1/6/22 9:52 a.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

IMO iRacing is the standard, their track modeling is really really good and I use it to learn new tracks all the time.  To run it you need a good computer, a subscription, a wheel/pedal set, and for the most part you need to buy each car and track that you plan to use, so the buy-in is rather high but for someone serious about motorsports IMO it's worth it.

Approximately, how much is the buy in for all of that? Ive never priced these parts or what sort of computer it would require etc

BradLTL
1/6/22 11:51 a.m.

I bought a refurbished gaming PC for $400, have a $300 G29 wheel, and Assetto Corsa was about $7 (and some free downloads).

The wheel and PC would work for iRacing as well.  I'm just not a huge fan of their business model.

slantsix
slantsix Reader
1/6/22 12:30 p.m.

I have to get  a computer and the wheel / pedals.... I have a mac at home and it seems that I need a decent PC with a good video card.

Also if you on on iRacing you can see if your setup / system will run iRacing on it... there is a checker..

All of my stuff failed.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/22 12:56 p.m.
slantsix said:

I have to get  a computer and the wheel / pedals.... I have a mac at home and it seems that I need a decent PC with a good video card.

Also if you on on iRacing you can see if your setup / system will run iRacing on it... there is a checker..

All of my stuff failed.

Can you try someone else's rig before you make the investment?  This seems like a lot of time and money invested to learn a track when you may not find it as useful as you'd like.

If you're already a sim racer or a gamer then learning new tracks in a virtual environment is an excellent tool but if you're not then you may just find it an exercise in frustration.  In my experience a lot of sim skills carry over to the real car but the reverse isn't always true.  The real car provides some visceral feedback that, as excellent as they are, the virtual environment just doesn't provide.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EdgGgjuSjoVRWDKQqNfW0T3wqnS9flF0xAsJlAThe11mFSEp58qzpHlVvHgRHkVV