1 ... 4 5 6
Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/20 9:27 a.m.

I got to sample a FoRS Recaro last year and it felt "perfect".

I'd need to sit on it for 16 hours straight to know for sure.  Anybody willing to lend me one?  For science of course.

Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/20 9:30 a.m.

Too much sidebolster.  It's a truck.  Sliding in and out would be a pain.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/2/20 10:00 a.m.

For me, the position of the wheel and pedals in relation to the seat is inexorably linked to the comfort of the seat, along with seat height. For that reason, I'd say my 91 Cougar XR7 is right up there with the best. Feels like it was designed just for me.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
3/2/20 10:01 a.m.

The seats in the BMW Z4Ms are very good and can be conformed to suit the driver.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
3/2/20 11:42 a.m.

I concur with GM W-Body Velour seats. Like sitting on a couch. 

I loved the seats in my 2010 Civic Si. For being sporty seats they were very comfy for long trips. 

2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited seats are pretty cush. I did Norfolk, VA->Los Angeles, CA->Tacoma, WA in less than 4 days, with over 1000+ miles in a couple of those days with zero complaints, even with it being 18 years old at the time. 

Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/20 2:36 p.m.
wspohn said:

The seats in the BMW Z4Ms are very good and can be conformed to suit the driver.

And most BMW seats are pretty small in the volume category.  Thanks.

KiwiMtnClmbr
KiwiMtnClmbr New Reader
9/29/21 3:05 p.m.

Resurrection in time for Halloween...

Knowing how much angles and cockpit config make or break comfort and fit, where would you start for replacing the seat on this if you weren't able to test fit b/c your truck was halfway round the world and you need to source a seat here/now as there's nothing good where you'll be next?

Truck will soon be sitting on 34s with a mini camper box on the back, so something with more bolster than is usually desired for a pickup/delivery platform is my current thinking. This is to be a long-distance overland hauler. I find when it's into the rougher terrain I slide and fall out of the seat a lot and because of the horizontal steering and door location I cannot brace against much anything. A lot of the Fuso guys like Recaro takeouts or serious aftermarket stuff I can't/won't afford.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/29/21 3:17 p.m.

In reply to KiwiMtnClmbr :

I recognize your truck from your usual build thread.  Seems you are looking to update the seats.  Seats with large bolsters on the bottom cushion will make getting in and out of the truck much harder.  The exchange though is those seats also make it much harder to fall out of the seat.  The flat bottom cushion in the existing seat looks like it is very easy to slide in and out of the seat.  

As you read in this thread, old Volvo seats are pretty much the best seats out there.

Another thing to consider, when bouncing up and down on these wide flat seats, when you go up, you still come down on a flat portion of the seat...comfortably.  If you get some seats that have large bolsters on the seat bottom, that will not stop you from going up and down but what it could mean is that when you come down you then come down on the uncomfortable, raised portion of the seat bottom.  

I figure your challenge is up and down forces and less side forces like quick cornering.  What about fashioning something like a velcro strapping.  Something that could be weaved under the seat tracks that then comes up to your thighs to aide in keeping you down on the seat.   A similar velcro strap could be run behind the seatback and under your arm pits as a way to keep your torso more planted to the actual seat. 

In autocross racing we call these straps a Torso Harness

Opti
Opti Dork
9/29/21 4:37 p.m.

early GMT400 suburbans with cloth. They have foldable arm rests on both sides of the seat. I could sit in these and drive across the country. Im sure that armrest will explode my insides if I get tboned though.

From a GRM member

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
9/29/21 5:50 p.m.

The stock seats in my GTI... adjustable lumbar, good thigh support, good enough bolsters for track work while not being too deep for daily use. I can sit in them for 12 hours on the road and get out feeling fine. It's like they were made specifically for my body shape.

They're a big part of the reason why I've kept the car for as long as I have.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/21 6:35 p.m.

I'm sure that there are even better ones within the P-car family, but the 12 way adjustable seats in the Porsche Mecan are insanely comfortable. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/29/21 7:48 p.m.

For as simple as they are in the adjustment category the seats in our third gen Prius are all day comfortable. Not sure they'd be right in a truck though.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/29/21 7:49 p.m.

I'm a big fan of the Recaros in the RX8. They are awesome. 

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
9/29/21 7:54 p.m.

Everywhere these threads pop up people say Volvo has the best seats. Did that change recently? I saw a 2019 S90 at carmax a couple of weeks ago and got so excited because for YEARS I've read people rave about these seats, and I left there disappointed. Bottom was kinda hard, back felt ok but nothing special. I'm only 150lbs too so not like I'm too much person for the seats either. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/29/21 8:09 p.m.

1994 Mustang GT Convertible. I drove one all summer when my roommate leased it and promptly lost his license. Seats were cloth and glorious.. Probably worn out by now. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/21 8:45 p.m.

In reply to iammclovin804 :

I think that Volvo 850 seats were vastly superior to all other stock seats of their time, but seats in general have gotten so much better since then. 

The seats in my V70R don't seem to be as comfortable as I remember the seats in my Dad's 1996 850 GLT being. 

KiwiMtnClmbr
KiwiMtnClmbr New Reader
10/27/21 7:34 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

John, you're spot on; sorry fo the very tardy response - lots of family issues in the past few weeks. I got tracked into very linear thinking about getting the 'best' kind of seat as I knew it in a touring car and wasn't thinking about drawbacks or keeping it simple. I've already got a clip in 4-point, diy cglock and torso harness... I don't why I didn't even think about it before!

As an update, I stumbled across an almost new sixpack priced cloth Mini Clubman seat. It's very comfortable, low enough to the rails, I hope, and ticks all the boxes except that it's darned heavy. I might just stop looking, at least until I get to a yard for something else and go around madly trying out seats ;-).

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KHaWb69eGnUfoq5BNaXQQtGNselGHuySOLf3zW51gpKl0GLgvRDycXDftmSDS06d