1 2 3 4 5 6
Dwight
Dwight New Reader
9/11/22 8:33 a.m.

My dream car is the one [plural] that I  have and now own.

The MGB!

My 1st was a'65, with wire wheels. Too hard to balance and clean.....

Even then, it needed more power and a 5th gear. Or overdrive.

This car IS a attainable dream. [much modified '79 LE]

Mine is close to where I want it, with the overdrive transmission and more power. Last time it was on the dynamometer, in the '77 body shell, it produced 91 HP at the wheels and 93HP with the rich carb. needles. 

There are multiple sources of parts, it's a very simple car easy to maintain and so much fun to drive. And gets decent fuel mileage.

Especially, when at a autox event, it beats cars with waaaaay more power and better/bigger tires.

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
9/11/22 8:37 a.m.

For a lot of people these days, "attainable" includes $1500.00/month payments.  

With this in mind, my truck is that "dream car," but I would not say that it is reasonably "attainable," because the price was freaking stupid for what it is.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/22 9:16 a.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

I think this is where the: "I could, but I won't" mentality comes in for me. Of course, I've got middle school aged kids and still funding a retirement. My priorities may shift in 20 years. 

GeddesB
GeddesB GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/11/22 7:39 p.m.

Already in the garage: 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/22 9:09 p.m.

There are cars I'd like, such as a newer Audi convertible, or Mid-60s Olds F-85 convertible, but I do not dream about them. I have dreamt about a Viper GTS, but I don't enjoy driving on the street cars that are that fast.

The other day I walked out into the parking lot and, looking around, considered that I was already holding the keys to the coolest car in the lot. So I guess my current car is my dream car, and that's cool. Good reminder to exercise my contentment and gratitude muscles here, thanks!

I bought one, my Suzuki Cappuccino. I dreamed of a Japanese kei sports car since they were new at the start of the 90's, and now I own one, so that's cool. 

Another would be a Lotus of some sort. Elise or Seven most likely. Could also be a Caterham, Westfield, Birkin, Fraser, well-built Locost, etc.

At times I'm intrigued by a Cayman, but not sure if I'd stretch to own one someday or not. Fun to think about, though...

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/11/22 9:47 p.m.

I can attain cool cars, but the space to store them all seems to elude me the most. 

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/11/22 11:43 p.m.

One of them I recently bought and absolutely adore:

The other is a new C8 Corvette.  I am really itching to order a 1LT Z51 car with a few extras and do the museum delivery.  I think it is hands down the performance bargain of the century.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/12/22 10:11 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

I can attain cool cars, but the space to store them all seems to elude me the most. 

Same here.  I absolutely have more cars than I can currently store/maintain/enjoy. 

Example: on Sat, I really would have liked to take the new-to-me TR8 out for a cruise, but then the idea of playing musical cars in order to get it out of the garage made me procrastinate. 

My only true "dream car" is a '69 Charger, heavily modified. Could I attain one if I really wanted to and was willing to sell off much of my current fleet?  Yeah... probably... But I'm not sure I'd enjoy it any more than my current fleet of LBCs.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/12/22 10:35 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

That and time is my issue. I have two cars that are various states of projects that I don't have any desire to get rid of plus two daily drivers. I could fit one more car once I sell my truck but I don't think I have time to work on it.

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
9/12/22 12:15 p.m.

In reply to 300zxfreak :

If you are looking to do an engine swap and it fits the engine bay then LS is the answer. Done 2 into older cars (1 with each son) for reliability/ drivability. Working on my own for reliability/performance. I know that not everyone agrees. Not everyone on here owns a Miata either.....

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
9/12/22 12:17 p.m.

In reply to 300zxfreak :

If you are looking to do an engine swap and it fits the engine bay then LS is the answer. Done 2 into older cars (1 with each son) for reliability/ drivability. Working on my own for reliability/performance. I know that not everyone agrees. Not everyone on here owns a Miata either.....

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/12/22 1:47 p.m.
rustomatic said:

For a lot of people these days, "attainable" includes $1500.00/month payments.  

With this in mind, my truck is that "dream car," but I would not say that it is reasonably "attainable," because the price was freaking stupid for what it is.

This is why I didn't order a new Mach 1 Mustang with the Elite and Handling packages + Recaro's. 

Wouldn't have been quite $1500/month, but still would have been about $70/month more than our house payment. Which I just thought was silly. So I "settled" for the new BRZ. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/12/22 4:24 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I can agree with that. "Attainable" to me is whatever car I can pay cash for without severely affecting my savings account.  That was more or less how I ended up with my TR8 instead of say, a new CTR. 

Being able to add the car to my classic insurance policy was also a factor.  "New car" insurance for what would essentially be a toy is a harder pill to swallow.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/12/22 4:51 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to z31maniac :

I can agree with that. "Attainable" to me is whatever car I can pay cash for without severely affecting my savings account.  That was more or less how I ended up with my TR8 instead of say, a new CTR. 

Being able to add the car to my classic insurance policy was also a factor.  "New car" insurance for what would essentially be a toy is a harder pill to swallow.

I don't keep hardly any cash an on hand, and even if I'd had the $33k on hand to buy a new BRZ cash I wouldn't have. Even before inflation ramped up to the current levels, it didn't make sense to me. 

Even though I had to swallow 5% on the BRZ after putting a few K down, I don't see inflation getting back to that level until close to the time I have it paid off.

GeddesB
GeddesB GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/12/22 5:06 p.m.
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) said:

I bought one, my Suzuki Cappuccino. I dreamed of a Japanese kei sports car since they were new at the start of the 90's, and now I own one, so that's cool. 
Another would be a Lotus of some sort. Elise or Seven most likely. Could also be a Caterham, Westfield, Birkin, Fraser, well-built Locost, etc.

At times I'm intrigued by a Cayman, but not sure if I'd stretch to own one someday or not. Fun to think about, though...

If you like the Cappy, you'll like the Elise, except there is more room in the Suzuki.  

Folgers
Folgers Reader
9/12/22 6:54 p.m.

What’s a  GLH going for nowadays ?

Ive had a few turbo omnis and Daytonas, but never a real deal glh. 

Opti
Opti Dork
9/12/22 7:51 p.m.

My 3 constants

LT1 slick top WS6 6 speed Trans Am, in red or Medium Quasar Blue. I've been looking for one for years.

Red FD manual. Didn't pull the trigger on a couple throughout the years and regret it

Red C4 ZR1

other cars including my current camaro have come and gone and i really liked them, but over the last 15 years, these are the ones I've really lusted after. Although I could financially afford one, there is always something that's keeps the stars from aligning, and now they are all getting hard to find in the spec and condition I want.

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
9/12/22 8:24 p.m.

C6 Grand Sport.  Helluva lot of performance for the dollar. 35k is a lot of money for me, but its not a hopeless amount like my true lust, a last gen ACR. 

Japanspec
Japanspec Reader
9/12/22 8:51 p.m.

My attainable dream cars, minus the two Miatas I already have, are:

• Honda Integra Type R (JDM Import)
  • Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86
  • Miata RF in red or white
  • Any JDM Import kei class car or SUV
  • A JDM Import big body sedan for a "VIP" build

I guess this list reveals where my automotive interests are...laugh

My list is always growing/changing, but those are the ones that seem to stick around, so I'll consider them my true attainable (hopefully) dream cars. One day...one day...

WebFootSTi
WebFootSTi New Reader
10/18/22 1:38 p.m.

A 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi that keeps showing up in my driveway.

In the second photo you can see how a larger front anti-sway bar effects body roll.  This is the first time I've seen the 2 photos next to each other...

Puddy46
Puddy46 New Reader
10/18/22 7:45 p.m.

C7 Grand Sport, even if it's on the outer edge of 'attainable'.  

Torch red, M7, heritage package and zero chrome, please and thank you.  

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
10/19/22 10:36 a.m.

2002 XJR:

I mean...just look at it.

Many moons ago I was visiting the Milton Robson car collection in North Georgia. Milton's a really nice guy, very down to Earth. But when he rolled in to meet the club he was in a XJR. Dude had WON the muscle car collecting game, he had everything and could drive anything. And his daily was a XJR.

I want one...I can afford to BUY one...but I doubt I can afford to DRIVE one. It would sit and I'd worry about it getting bashed on Atlanta roads. My 2002 Camry is beat on the outside not from me, but from other stupid drivers. Getting another dent in the Camry doesn't bother me, wrinkling that gorgeous fender on a XJR would be sad.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
10/19/22 10:44 a.m.

This is an interesting thread and I read most of the responses and saw a lot of lists of cars that I would absolutely not kick out of my garage should i be blessed enough to have one show up.  

There are two cars that I would really like to add to the garage:

1. a new Caterham SV in kit form that I can build.  Gulf Oil race livery colors (light blue and Orange) with track goodies (HPDE cage, dry sump, etc.)  

&

2. a Porsche 911.  Guards red car with a grey or black interior.  I would like either a 996 turbo 6 speed car or a 997.2 PDK C2 or C2S.  

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/19/22 11:08 a.m.

I love homologation specials, especially Group A. Here's the list:

• BMW E30 M3: attained...finally!
  • Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: attained
  • Ford Sierra RS Cosworth: maybe one day
  • Mitsu Lancer Evo 1/2/3: attained
  • Mitsu Lancer Evo 5/6: maybe soon
  • Renault 5 Turbo: there's one on ebay now for $58k, but I just bought the M3 and have no money!
  • Porsche 964 RS: now out of reach...probably for good
1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SheQHY87febZ6tPowEBPET3bWbK8Z45ejlFXVTFsMbj6PZU0ngulOYrwrG9Vx9O7