1 2 3 4 5 6
A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/19/22 8:22 p.m.

Boogie van.  '73 or '74 G10 to be exact but a backdated later model is acceptable.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
10/19/22 8:49 p.m.

This is actually an interesting question. There are a lot of cars I dream about, and only a few of them might be attainable someday. Fewer still that I'd actually want to live with.

Though, if I can manage to do the work, I think the vision I have for my derelict 69 Toyota Corona project ticks most of the dream car boxes.

A K-swapped BRZ/FRS is on the list too.

physician
physician Reader
10/19/22 9:09 p.m.

Attainable dream? 

A caterham is in my mind for years..

Beck 550 spyder is on the list too.

I have to drive a citroen 2cv someday, not sure if i would buy though.. maybe a citroen DS for familly sunday drives..

The near futur looks like swappi g the bikes for a spridget or spit with bike engine or 4age with intensive weight removal..

I have to scratch that caterham hitch after all..

Toebra
Toebra Dork
10/19/22 9:20 p.m.
RollinM
RollinM New Reader
10/19/22 10:13 p.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

80sFast
80sFast Reader
10/20/22 8:04 a.m.

These two have been on my mind lately:

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/22 11:33 a.m.

My attainable dream car is weird.  I want a Porsche 928 (not too weird) converted to a Tesla Drivetrain.  I think that sexy GT pared of it's expensive and fragile V8 and paired up with a lot of voltage would be a ton (or two) of fun on the highway.

I am also working towards moving to the Netherlands where I have family.  I want a Fiat Fullback or a Renault Alaskan in the worst way.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
10/20/22 1:20 p.m.

While I would love to own an e36 m3 coupe one day, I feel my pair of e36 coupes will make up for the way they are going for prices now.

One day maybe in the future prices could drop on M3's but  for now I can enjoy what I have. 

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/20/22 6:59 p.m.

I guess I'm an odd one on this subject. I never lusted after any car, instead building two cars from scratch the way I wanted. After selling the second one, I ended up with a car that's been mentioned by several in this thread already, but wasn't one I gave any thought to whatsoever. That was, until my jerk sister put the bug in my ear, and suddenly it seemed that I just HAD to have one, very much so for its looks. And so it came to pass. Not mine but looks identical:

maisgelb
maisgelb GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/20/22 7:33 p.m.
mad_machine said:

My attainable dream car is weird.  I want a Porsche 928 (not too weird) converted to a Tesla Drivetrain.  I think that sexy GT pared of it's expensive and fragile V8 and paired up with a lot of voltage would be a ton (or two) of fun on the highway.

I am also working towards moving to the Netherlands where I have family.  I want a Fiat Fullback or a Renault Alaskan in the worst way.

+1 on the 928 EV. I haven't driven a 928, but I think it could be a fun primary car as an EV. I have an Elise which is another one on my list, so something quiet and refined (yet hooligan fast) would be a nice complement. 

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/21/22 10:26 a.m.

A tiny balls-to-the-walls electric grocery getter AWD stoplight hero. Preferably sleeper spec, comfortable, and cute. Maybe Kei car based

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/21/22 10:39 a.m.

Those of you saying FDs, go get one now. The Yen is worth a lot less than it was worth a few months ago.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/21/22 10:46 a.m.

FFR Cobra or other quality replica Cobra.  I've wanted one of these for as long as I've been into cars, but have never quite found the right car at the right time to work it out yet.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/21/22 2:51 p.m.

A restomod Citroen Traction Avant. Want to maintain the FWD configuration, but give it something like a smooth-running I6. 

If I decide that it's a little too effete, I'll do something like this with it:

Tell me that wouldn't make a killer rallycross car!

Opti
Opti Dork
10/21/22 5:17 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

Have you driven one? I wanted one for a long time until I drove one. I thought an early viper had bad ergonomics. I am fat though

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/21/22 8:09 p.m.

I wanted a Cobra for a while, until I caught up to one on-track in my Datsun 1200! It was surprising to see it under/oversteering its way around Turn 9 at Riverside, the driver sawing at the wheel, while I was just trailing along, barely moving the steering wheel. I get it, unknown driver, unknown car, but still, with its hairy-chested automotive anger image, that was the best it could do - in turns at least. That said, never let anyone tell you what kind of car you should like. You want it, can afford it, have space, buy it!

Rramirez
Rramirez New Reader
10/21/22 8:24 p.m.

Ford raptor!  I was close to affording one when I could get a new one at 62k pre Covid. Now they are completely out of reach, hopefully one day they come back to earth!  Or maybe I'll have to squeeze my family into the new ranger raptor 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/22 9:07 p.m.

Attainable means I can get one.  Dream car means I want one.  Combine both means I have had one or four.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
10/22/22 3:43 p.m.

E24 BMW.

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
10/22/22 6:05 p.m.

There are lots of cars I want, but wouldn't "dream" of. Attainability is also hugely subjective. It's an interesting question nonetheless. 

Probably most relevant answer:

The Bozz Speed EVO VI. I properly dreamt of this car. If priorities were shuffled, I could probably make it happen. First step would probably be a global hunt for it.

Current answer: My current car, but different. Totally happy with my 1999 911 C2, except for all the things I'm unhappy with. I think I'm coilovers, a wrap, a steering wheel, seats, and shifter away from my "dream." That said, the dream is likely to move by the time I get there. 

There are two other dreams that are much more nebulous.

The first is going fast. This is mostly sated with my shifter kart. If anything, the shifter kart exceeds the level of experience I dreamed of.

The second is designing and building a car of my own. This has long been a dream and I think I could attain it if I dropped everything to pursue it. For now, I don't even know what I would build, but it's fun to kick the ideas around in my head. True dreams.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/22/22 6:52 p.m.
kb58 said:

I wanted a Cobra for a while, until I caught up to one on-track in my Datsun 1200! It was surprising to see it under/oversteering its way around Turn 9 at Riverside, the driver sawing at the wheel, while I was just trailing along, barely moving the steering wheel. I get it, unknown driver, unknown car, but still, with its hairy-chested automotive anger image, that was the best it could do - in turns at least. That said, never let anyone tell you what kind of car you should like. You want it, can afford it, have space, buy it!

Hey, I'm not afraid to admit that at my very first autocross I brought a gun to a knife fight and got killed.  Me and my C5Z were bested by a stock Prius.  

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/22 7:19 p.m.

Attained

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/22/22 8:22 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:
kb58 said:

Hey, I'm not afraid to admit that at my very first autocross I brought a gun to a knife fight and got killed.  Me and my C5Z were bested by a stock Prius.  

I had something Very similar happen. Autocross is its own special animal, where the driver plays a much bigger part of a fast lap time than the car itself.

Regarding my Cobra comments, I'm very aware that the special car we may want is almost never the one that would get fastest lap time. That's as it should be, as it's the entire package, not just one aspect of it. This risks getting into other threads of "never meet your hero cars", because we often find that the one aspect we wanted most turns out to be missing.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
10/22/22 9:24 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

More than once my 1200 crushed the soul of a newbie autocrosser.

As for that special car not being the fastest, absolutely. Even on my money is no object fantasy buy I don't aspire to own the fastest car. 

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
10/22/22 11:42 p.m.

A Lotus 7 or Caterham or a good copy.  I have a locust +442 Miata based chassis and running gear sitting here but have had other more pressing projects for the last 10 years.  One of these days though...

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VYbs2RWWKkBFYaBFHRzEzUPlMe67WhzMMcu4jomnrb4Hz49JPaWhJvrwKZM5Ovre