1 2 3 4 ... 6
ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
7/5/10 8:44 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: "You can't make a race horse out of a pig, but you can make a very fast pig."

Wasn't this in reference to the porsche 928?

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
7/5/10 8:44 p.m.

How do you make a small fortune in racing? Start with a large one.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
7/5/10 8:46 p.m.

"Congratulations!"

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
7/5/10 8:48 p.m.

"Rafferty says to take the tight line"

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
7/5/10 8:53 p.m.

This V V V

admc58
admc58 New Reader
7/5/10 8:57 p.m.

"Too much horsepower...It's only a concept!"

"You have really good car control, Too bad you have to use it all the time"...Terry Earwood, chief driving instructor for Skip Barber.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/5/10 9:05 p.m.

'Keep the throttle pinned till you see God, then hold it a half second longer.'

On allegedly excessive horsepower: 'That's why the throttle turns both ways.' Roger DeCoster (MX legend)

jde
jde Reader
7/5/10 9:12 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
MadScientistMatt wrote: "You can't make a race horse out of a pig, but you can make a very fast pig."

I've always heard it attributed to Bob Akin and the 935.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/5/10 9:14 p.m.

I saw Elvis at a thousand feet!!! -John Force (everything he says ends with !!!)

Power is nothing without control.

Faster than you! -John Russell (ThunderCougarFalconGoat) from the open sunroof of a TBird Turbo Coupe to a ricer after we blew their doors off many, many moons ago.

miwifri
miwifri New Reader
7/5/10 9:17 p.m.

“It is amazing how many drivers, even at the formula one level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down.” -Mario Andretti

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports... all others are just games." - Ernest Hemingway

"I may be a mediocre racer but, being a racer, I'm not a mediocre person." -GRMS forum contributer

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
7/5/10 9:26 p.m.

"Balls make the difference"

(Label on the steering wheel of David Pearson's short track car, 1971.)

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
7/5/10 9:30 p.m.
seeker589 wrote: I got a little behind on my steering. -unknown

Usually attributed to Curtis Turner, 60s NASCAR driver. Legend holds that he said it to a journalist after crashing out of the Daytona 500.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
7/5/10 9:37 p.m.

"And it's a new track record"

Tom Carnegie

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
7/5/10 9:37 p.m.

"In most forms of motor racing, the best strategy is simply to lead every lap." -Al or Bob Holbert, "Driving to Win", 1980.

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
7/5/10 9:40 p.m.

"There is such a thing as racing luck. It's found on the shop floor at 3 in the morning."

Generally attributed to Dan Gurney...

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
7/5/10 9:44 p.m.
Platinum90 wrote: Jean-Pierre Sarti: Before you leave I want to tell you something. Not about the others, but about myself. I used to go to pieces. I'd see an accident like that and be so weak inside that I wanted to quit - stop the car and walk away. I could hardly make myself go past it. But I'm older now. When I see something really horrible, I put my foot down. Hard! Because I know that everyone else is lifting his. Louise Frederickson: What a terrible way to win. Jean-Pierre Sarti: No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning.

(from the same movie) Nino Barlini: I think you should go to the Greek islands with your American boyfriend. I think you should go to hell.

And I think Antonio Sabato should have killed the writer that gave him 90% of what he said in the movie...

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/5/10 10:00 p.m.

not particularly automotive/motorsports related, but... "Barring success, immortality can be guaranteed by spectacular failure" - someone who's name I can't remember currently

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
7/5/10 10:01 p.m.

Smooth is fast.

DavidinDurango
DavidinDurango New Reader
7/5/10 10:02 p.m.
jde wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
I've always heard it attributed to Bob Akin and the 935.
ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
7/5/10 10:04 p.m.

He who's faster, travels alone.

Turn the gas on Dummy! <- Above the fuel pump switch

DavidinDurango
DavidinDurango New Reader
7/5/10 10:04 p.m.

Hurley Haywood about the 935 Turbos, after winning the 24hrs at Daytona - as I remember.

Another good one, So, Mario, what can you say helped you win the Indianapollis 500? "I used more STP dan da udder guys." Upon winning the Indy 500 in a car sponsored by STP.

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
7/5/10 10:11 p.m.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of the car.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/5/10 10:21 p.m.
Slyp_Dawg wrote: not particularly automotive/motorsports related, but... "Barring success, immortality can be guaranteed by spectacular failure" - someone who's name I can't remember currently

http://www.ozyandmillie.org/d/20060608.html

"To be remembered for wisdom, one must be willing to make the most spectacularly bad decisions, and learn honestly from them."

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
7/5/10 10:42 p.m.

"Tis a grand day for motorcar racing." said, of course, in the accent of Sir Jackie.

"It is always easier to gain back a bit of speed in the middle of the corner than it is to get rid of a bit too much."

"If you didn't crash, how do you know you were going as fast as you could?"

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/6/10 1:40 a.m.

"The lead car is absolutely unique, except for the one behind it which is identical" - Murray Walker

"It's basically the same, just darker." - Alan Kulwicki, on racing Saturday nights as opposed to Sunday afternoons.

With two laps to go then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is." - Murray Walker

"You're not a racing driver, you're a f***ing idiot!" - Ayrton Senna yelling at Jordan, Eddie Irvine after the 93 Japanese Grad Prix

"If you don't cheat, you look like an idiot; if you cheat and don't get caught, you look like a hero; if you cheat and get caught, you look like a dope. Put me where I belong."

• Darrell Waltrip

"You drive the car, you don't carry it." - Janet Guthrie

"He's got a 10-foot ego, and a four-foot body, and it ain't working too good right now." - Mike Bliss after being punted by Bobby Hamilton Jr.

"If the lion didn't bite the tamer every once in a while, it wouldn't be exciting." - Darrell "Jaws" Waltrip

"I think it's gonna be some exciting racing, gonna see something you'd probably never seen on Fox." - Dale Earnhardt Dale's words to Matt Yokum awaiting the start of the 43rd Daytona 500 on February 18, 2001. A few hours later, Dale died in a last lap crash.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PmEEVlyT3zbbWhqAaHlgPqAOrKbQYLGNFUA9sVLy3hDGGE1VaNacOsI6vnxW43lV