1 2
NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/29/21 7:57 p.m.

In the "What motorsports moment are you proud of?" thread, there was this comment. 

Mr. Peabody said:

I'm so overwhelmed by the sheer number of motorsports moments I'm not proud of to actually think of one I am.

And, yeah, I'm sure we all have a moment or two where we've made a complete fool of ourselves while behind the wheel of a racecar. 

Mine was the time I co-drove my friend Scott's Focus RS. The FLR SCCA was holding a team event, where you had to pick a team of 3 drivers, each in a different class, and you accumulated points depending on your standing. It was in late October in New York, so the conditions were cold, and I decided it would be best not to try and run my supercharged Miata on nearly-corded BFG Rivals in 40 degree weather. So my friend Scott was running his Focus RS in Pro, and was looking for another teammate and I asked if I could run his Focus RS in D/Street, and then we would try and find a third on the day of.

That morning, we found our third, our friend Joe in his G/Street Focus ST, and dubbed ourselves "Team Sole Focus". My friend Scott gave me a rundown of all the bells and whistles of his RS and upon mentioning the RS-unique bumper that was hand-laid in Germany with a multi-week lead time and 4-stage blue paint, said we should probably be careful not to punt any cones in the cold weather and break said front bumper. I especially made a note, because while I don't think Scott would expect me to buy him a new bumper, I'd feel guilty as hell.

I was in the first run group, and Scott was doing course work. I decided to play it safe with my first run and just acquaint myself with the car, since I'm used to driving a very analog RWD car. I kept it clean for the half the course, and then decided to get on the throttle and see what the car had through one very fast segment. The car got a little ahead of my hand speeds though, and the OEM tires were also not very happy on the Seneca Army Depot surface, and so the very last cone in the slalom I center-punched with the front bumper and launched into low orbit. And it was right in front of the work station that Scott was working at. Oops. I came back into grid and discovered that fortunately I didn't damage the front bumper, but I still felt pretty sheepish when Scott later joked "That was a hell of a power move. You miss every cone on course and then blast one right in front of me."

Already feeling dumb, I got to my last morning run without hitting any more cones, although my times were pretty dismal because I just could not get a handle on the car. The course had a weird start interval and you pretty much had to go exactly when the green flag was thrown, or else you had to wait for the course to completely clear of the cars ahead of you. I was anxious about this and was pretty jittery on the starting line, not wanting to snarl everything up. The flagman threw a green flag and somehow I stalled the car, but I'd had enough juice that the car lurched forward and rolled into the starting beams. I panicked and tried to get it restarted as fast as possible, and then by power-cycling it, I reset the driving mode from Track Mode to Normal Mode, although I didn't know it. I got going, didn't snarl up traffic, but then part way through the course the traction control started kicking in and pulling power, at which point I realized it had reset itself to Normal Mode.

Our team results ended up being all around disastrous, although I was somehow the only one to grab points, and we renamed our team from "Team Sole Focus" to "Team UnFocused"

So, TLDR, plastered a cone in front of the car's owner after being told to be careful not to hit a cone early in the morning, then stalled said car on the start line, then coasted into the timing lights while I tried to restart it, then further blew the run because I forgot to put it in the correct driving mode.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/29/21 8:24 p.m.

I've been off course for all five runs more than once. 
I also used to mock myself by saying that I'd made every novice mistake except one, and I had, but that didn't last. Skip to the start at 2:17.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/21 8:31 p.m.

A friend let me take his 4th Gen FStock Z28 out for fun runs & I spun it almost immediately, and at 3 different points on course, in one run. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/29/21 8:43 p.m.

Racing on my roof, not the fast way around the lap.....

No photo description available.

ojannen
ojannen Reader
12/29/21 8:50 p.m.

My wife and I have a habit of spinning on the same corner at autocross.

https://youtu.be/wxrwgd5n4nE

https://youtu.be/P_dCmSM2mpo

jh36
jh36 Dork
12/29/21 8:52 p.m.

This one hurt. 
Hyperfest a couple of years ago. 
I was multi-tasking way too much with racing, a display and judging some contests. 
I was judging a guitar shred contest up the hill that went a little long. One of my crew reminded me I was supposed to be on grid. I had my nomex on but had to run for the car.  Hot, out of breath, thirsty.  
I didn't buckle in and got to grid right at the three minute warning. I hadn't looked at the qualifying times and didn't know I was on pole which really confused me. 
On the pace lap I finally got my belts situated. The window net fell off a couple of times. Got that squared up. Just not how you want a warm up lap to be. I was coming down the straight watching for the green flag....and drove right near the starter stand when I noticed nobody was with me. 
 yeah...it was a standing start, not a rolling start. 
The rest of the group was 50' behind me. I was completely rattled by then. 
I put the car in reverse and drove right into the car behind me. Holy cow. 
The starter shook his head, looked down on me in disgust and threw the green. 
I was so completely shaken by then that I got passed by three or four cars at the start. 
I got on it and was going inside to make up a spot at turn 1.... and the steering wheel came off. 
Somehow I stuck it back on without hitting anyone, lost another spot and started pedaling hard for turn 2....where the steering wheel came off again. 
Right about there I decided that something awful was going to happen and I had used up all my good luck...I pulled off and drove through the grass and parked it. 
I am pretty are Ed Higginbotham has video as he was in row 2. . 
It was an awful sequence of events. Since then, I have been incredibly, and sometimes neurotically, prepared. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/29/21 8:57 p.m.

New England Forest Rally 2018 (?)

Two stages left to go, sitting 5th in class

See class leader pulled off broken at beginning of next stage.

Know we are very close behind the now-3rd place car, dreams of podium.

Push extra hard on second running of a very rough stage, which is now extremely torn up with large rocks etc

Halfway through the stage:

Jim (my codriver): "Back it off a bit, it's too rough and you're going to break something"

Me: "Nah, we're good"

10 seconds later, hit large rock in the middle of the course and smash both the skidplate and the oil pan above it. Rally over. 

Always listen to your codriver :)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/21 9:02 p.m.

Going full speed into the trees while the car owner was watching.

You can see clearly that I was having lots of issues with the car not steering while the brakes were applied.... apparently GDs have a lot more front brake bias than I am used to.

Claff
Claff HalfDork
12/29/21 9:15 p.m.

Pushed wide and just completely wiped out the reflector side of the finish lights at a Wilmington Pro Solo. I was mortified.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/21 9:30 p.m.

I took the "AFCO line" (straight across the chicane) while giving a passenger a ride at our Summer Camp. Works a treat, the car basically jumps the curbs. But not at cooldown lap speeds. Hit the oil pan, cracked it open, oiled the track, end of the day for that car. In my defence, someone else had pre-cracked it for me and I just reopened the damage. But still, I was distracted by talking to the passenger and should not have taken that line without the speed to pull it off.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/29/21 9:32 p.m.

Putting my ITC Fiesta in a tree at Waterford Hills in 1999.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/29/21 9:40 p.m.

Chin Motorsports at Atlanta Motor Speedway. In my 81 Scirocco with ABA 2.0L under CIS 1.8 head. Car was a beast with an OPM motorsports limited slip diff in the 2h gearbox. Chasing a first gen Audi TT around the course we were moving at a pretty good pace. He'd pull me on the straights, then I'd hound him in the infield corners. Going into the horseshoe behind the pits he must have been watching me in his mirrors cause he went wide and agricultural on the outside of the turn. Silly me, rookie mistake, watching his bumper followed him right off! Remember to look where you WANT to go!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/29/21 9:45 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Where?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/29/21 10:01 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

That's amazing. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/29/21 10:17 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Where?

Just past Hilltop. I was driving in my mirrors on lap 1, surrounded by other cars, when I hit the curb on the right side of the track just as I was cresting the hill. That sent me tumbling down the hill and towards the fence on the edge of the property. I ended up upside down with most of the car's weight on top of one of the big fence posts and the rest supported by one of the trees right on the property line. The people who saw it were shocked I walked away. Ask Adrian, he was there.

So ended my 4-month old road racing career.

Edit: Found an "after" pic:

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/29/21 10:44 p.m.

Spinning the owners car on 2 out of the 3 times in the exact same spot on the course. My car was down for a new motor so I was running Rich Windberg's scirocco. It was a nationals trophy winning FSP car. 

I was use to my car which I could throw it in and with a quick lift of the throttle and a slight left foot brake and it'd rotate right where I wanted it. Well, his car was a little looser than mine and doing the same thing spun it. I was running faster through the course but just couldn't get my mind wrapped around that. 

We laughed on that over beers that night. 

drock25too
drock25too Reader
12/30/21 12:03 a.m.

After a couple of seasons racing a "Street Stock" at the local dirt oval, I decided I was ready for a dirt late model. This was the early '80's and I was 21 or 22. I found a guy who was getting out of racing and believed his "Song and Dance" and bought his whole operation. Well the car was not what I was led to believe and was fairly out dated and at best a mid pack car. A couple of the front running guys helped me out a little and I got the car a little better. One night I "drew" the pole for the heat race and the previous years track champion was behind me. I knew he was going to pass me on the inside so I decided that I would just drop in behind him and try to run his line and learn something. Green flag, he blast past on the inside, I follow into one and we're away. To my surprise I'm actually keeping up with him. Plan working to perfection. For about four laps. Then we go through turns one and two, I'm right on his rear bumper, next thing I know, I'm  spinning around in the hay field that's off the back straight. First 360 I see him facing me, he's spinning also. I'm thinking, I know I didn't hit him. After three or four loops I get stopped, refire the car and pull back on the track, stop and let the officials pull some hay out of the chassis and finish the race in last place. Back in the pits, I'm climbing out of the car and Jimmie walks up and says, "What was that all about? You had that race won." I told him my plan and it was working until I ended up in the grass. He laughed and said, Good plan, until I broke a tie rod and went off the track. Next time watch the track instead of my back bumper. I had followed him right off the track. I learned a valuable lesson that night and nearly thirty years later, every time I see him, he ask me if I've bailed any hay lately. 

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
12/30/21 1:53 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

That reads like a bad, bad bad dream. Geez man, you survived a real life no-pants nightmare!

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/30/21 2:29 a.m.

Well this thread is more up my alley than the others.

I've never won anything other than a novice class at an autocross!

I did a track day at Sonoma a few weeks ago. I managed to misread the registration email and show up late - just in time to head out onto the track. In the rain. I spent all of the morning sessions pretty frazzled, culminating in creeping onto the dry line in turn 10 and ending up in the tire wall. It was pretty low speed and all things considered, could have been much worse, but it was certainly not my best moment.

Add it to the list of cosmetic issues to fix.

jh36
jh36 Dork
12/30/21 5:36 a.m.
Jay_W said:

In reply to jh36 :

That reads like a bad, bad bad dream. Geez man, you survived a real life no-pants nightmare!

That's exactly how it felt. Well put!  So many lessons learned (really, reinforced) in that 15 minutes. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/30/21 8:13 a.m.

oof, I want to pass. Ask VCH, he was driving the car for both of my worst moments, which were both mechanical idiocy.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/30/21 8:36 a.m.

Spinning on the out lap on the live stream at my firs GL Sundae Cup outing at NCM. I blame the subaru that blew up in front of us.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/30/21 8:43 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Could be worse. My friend Scott tells the story of running his F/Mod in the rain and he hydroplaned and went off to the side of the timing light. Unfortunately that was the side that had the cable hooked to it, and the front splitter on his F/Mod caught the cable. He yanked the laptop right out of the timing trailer and the cable for the timing gear snapped in two as well. Pretty much put an end to the event.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
12/30/21 9:26 a.m.

Champcar Sebring 14 Hour 2020. 

The night prior to the race I decided to indulge in some Cuban cigars and Hungarian Polinka. Two things I don't regularly participate in. I was sick all night and supposed to be the first in the car. I toughed it out, laid down the fastest time ever in that car at that track by 3.5 seconds. Went and passed out in the trailer the rest of the day until someone said "hey we need you to get in the car!" It was night time, raining, 3.5 hours left to go and we were in 19th spot overall and on pace to have our best finish ever. 

I was putting on a clinic for how to drive in the rain. I got us up to like 11th overall, 2nd in Class, coming up on the end of my stint. Going into the hairpin at Sebring and a Miata was on the inside, he cut over going into the 400ft braking marker, and because this car is owned by a friend of mine, I hit the brakes a little to fast and hard, the rears locked up and spun me around into the tire wall on the inside of 7. Destroyed the splitter on the front and when I hit the wall again it knocked the battery tray loose and caused the battery to catch on fire. We ripped the splitter off and put a new battery in but ended up finishing 25th overall. Super embarrassing, I felt terrible for the team because they put in some awesome stints to get us where we were and I threw it all away to save a friends car. We have a 1inch square tube bumper bar on the car, I should have just love tapped them for the inconvenience and been on our way. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/21 9:52 a.m.

In September I did an autocross in Toronto, previously I had a set of Michelin PSS on the rear axle of the 86 and a pair of Chinese cheapos on the front. This wasn't a bad setup but a little understeery, I thought I'd switch them around and put the stickier tires on the front. Also I had just put camber bolts on the front which would further increase front grip over my previous setup.

Worst setup mistake of my life.

The car did not want to grip any corners anywhere, it was all sideways all the time. I spun out in a fairly low-speed corner on one run. Launches tended to be slow and smoky. Also it was a dense "sea of cones" type course and I DNFed my first run on one of the first gates, and my last 2 runs by making the same mistake twice.

Also ran into adam525i and was so glad to meet him I forgot we were in a pandemic for a second and gave him a handshake, whoops...at least the organizers who posted up their distancing rules in big bold letters didn't see.

At least on my next event when I had PS4Ses on all-around I got 7th in raw time.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bj6Sne2e0GLhoi2s1D8beoJPpsIm8xaIssC4CMbQBZb81wCr9Y0KdYxtNypJTaJJ