dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/19/13 7:58 a.m.

I have had Recaros in my 924s since the mid 90's and they are really starting to show there age. To the point that repair is just not really an option. (you can only add so much black duct tape) It got me thinking about replacements. I have been thinking about a set of sport seats from a 944 but they seem to command the same $$$$ as recaros. I have also driven cars with them and the side bolsters are more of a nuisance than a help for street driving. I don't want / need racing seats. The car is now primarily a street toy and is my DD %95 of the time so something with a bit more padding in the rite places is what I am aiming for.

I was wondering if there was something that I should be looking for from the pick and pull yard that may fill the bill. Volvo? Sabb? Audi? that may be a possible replacement. Another seat I have always really liked are the stock MK1 MR2 seats. Obviously all are subject to fitment in the car and I will have to make adaptors for the mounts (probably reused the mounting brackets from the recaros)

Just looking for some ideas / recomendations here.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/19/13 9:57 a.m.

Since the mounts are flat, you could go with nearly anything that mounts like the Recaro's do.

Or one could look at non-sport seat options from early 911's, 944's, etc. since so many want sport seats in their cars, the stock seats go fairly cheap sometimes.

Color also matters. Javelin couldn't give away a pair of linen sport seats, but if you have a darker color? They sell like hotcakes.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/19/13 10:26 a.m.

I have an early 944 AND a set of MK1 MR2 seats. Do you want me to set one in there and see how it fits, maybe snap a pic?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/19/13 11:22 a.m.

Why not just get the ones you have recovered?

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/19/13 11:23 a.m.

Recaros

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/13 11:31 a.m.

The stock non-Sport 944 seats are actually very nice.

Also, check with a local upholstery shop. I was flabergasted at how cheap it can be, especially in cloth.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/19/13 11:37 a.m.

Jav, if you didn't live on the wrong side of the country, I'd have been very tempted. The bottom line is, I need to get it running and driving before I spend any money on cosmetics.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
11/19/13 11:41 a.m.
Javelin wrote: The stock non-Sport 944 seats are actually very nice. Also, check with a local upholstery shop. I was flabergasted at how cheap it can be, especially in cloth.

This gets my vote. It's such a PITA trying to find seats that fit and aren't in horrible shape for a decent price. For this you just have to pull them out and get them recovered. Boom. Done.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/13 11:44 a.m.

Where are you and what color do you need?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/20/13 10:06 a.m.

I am in MA and I am looking for black. One of the adjusters for the back rest on the drivers seat is broken so I would need to get that fixed as well. Or just put that seat on the passengers side since that seat is almost never used..

Does anyone know where to get seats recovered in the Boston area?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xrxi759pfUXtUqP62TtMQ4a29xINOu0TDiiF32FYc1LHdHs5qiF4vzKx6IO1WB5G