1 2 3
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/7/22 9:30 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

So you don't need Land Rover kind of capability, then.  Or some government surplus Hummvee.  Although, that's the exact opposite of small.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/7/22 9:31 p.m.

We've been looking at the same category.nteo have risen to the top, the cx30 and the escape. I'm partial to the Mazda, but I like Mazdas. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/7/22 9:36 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Exactly. Something small that won't get stuck on a wet gravel road. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/7/22 9:43 p.m.

I've been shopping a very similar profile. First, about the CX-30, it feels a good bit smaller than the CX-5, which is good if you like carving canyons, but bad if you routinely take passengers or gear with the back seats up. To me, the extra utility wins the day. 

I'm not sure why the anti-Korean bias. Our family has a 2020 Sonata and its a gem. We've looked at the new generation Hyundai Tuscon and it's visually very attractive. It's a little bigger than the CX-5 and has better amenities such as a larger screen, autopilot, rear seat HVAC controls, reclining rear seats and such. Power-wise it's about the same in the NA version, but.... the CX-5 just feels better. It handles better, The interior is more tasteful, the seats are more comfortable. It has better Feng Shui. It's also a little less expensive. If I were buying an appliance, I'd probably go with the 2022 Tuscon. But as a vehicle to enjoy, I'd pony up for the turbo and go with the CX-5.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
1/7/22 10:08 p.m.

Buick Envision.   My wife loves hers, 2wd nom turbo.

Also on our list was the Lincoln MKC, downside was MPG and premium fuel although it’s probably optional.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/22 10:13 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

It felt and sounded far more rattle-y than a focus 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/7/22 10:20 p.m.

There's an article / study I'd like to see... 

How much real advantage is provided by the awd on the current crop of fwd based CUVs? 

I too think the 2wd is likely sufficient. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
1/7/22 10:29 p.m.

Nissan Rogue Sport? People forget they exist, but they're in that budget. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
1/7/22 10:41 p.m.

I’ve put over 150K on two company Escapes.  The first one I got new (2014 1.6 SE with AWD) and had it until just short of 130K.  0 issues over that time other than routine maintenance.  The current one (2016 1.6 SE AWD) was inherited at about 60 K and had 3 previous drivers. (Long story, company is going the car allowance route and I’m trying to hold that off as long as possible.)  This one has been OK , no major repairs.

1.6 Ecoboost with the 6 speed has adequate performance and gets 30-31 mpg on the highway in the AWD version. Putting the transmission in sport wakes it up a bit.  AWD is helpful in the snow but it’s a fairly short wheelbase and FWD biased so it can get a bit squirrelly when it gets slick.  I believe the 2014-2019 version was built on the same platform as the Focus, so basically a CUV that’s a very slightly lifted Focus.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
1/8/22 9:22 a.m.

I'd vote for the Seltos but I'm biased. I really like mine. AWD worked fine in the snow and gets great gas mileage. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/8/22 9:29 a.m.

Speaking of Mazda, with the CX-30 replacing the CX-3, you could probably find a good deal on an outgoing  20 or 21 model CX-3.  Besides that, I think HR-V,  Crosstrek, Rogue Sport, CX-5 are the sure beta here. It isn't awd but I think the Nissan Kicks with a good set of tires would be a sleeper. They are deceptively roomy and in your price range.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/8/22 9:36 a.m.

As far as appliance and reliability goes, I think the Corolla Cross/RAV4 would fit the bill. They use tried and true tech and Toyota is impeccable with Quality Control. Slap some all terrain tires that are 3 peak rated and I think they'll take you just about anywhere you generally need to go, sans rock crawling stuff.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/22 9:37 a.m.

Kelly has a Honda HR-V that I kinda like. AWD, CVT, everything but navigation. It's a nice commuter.

Tanner just bought a Volkswagen Tiguan. 2.0T, DSG, AWD, loaded loaded. It's a VERY nice car.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/8/22 9:38 a.m.

Question for the Ford fans.......why would I buy an Escape over the Bronco Sport ? The starting price difference is $2K and that extra gets me a 4x4 Bronco vs a FWD Escape. I haven't compared things like interior volume or base trim levels so it's just based on the 4WD availability and the Bronco is visually more appealing to me, more truckie.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/8/22 9:38 a.m.

I tried to steer my mom away from the crv she just bought.  It's ok.  Nothing great about it. My mother in law has a rwv4. Same thing, and after my oil guzzling experience with a low mile 2007 rav4, I'm not interested in a 4 cylinder Toyota for some time. Both vehicles are as uninspiring as a box of Melba toast. Supposedly the new rav4 can be had with a faster version like the old v6 model. 

in my experience Subaru will have a better awd system than anything else mentioned.  The others (Mazda, Kia) will be fine but just arent as rosbust but that depends  on your needs. 

1/8/22 9:43 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I tried to steer my mom away from the crv she just bought.  It's ok.  Nothing great about it. My mother in law has a rwv4. Same thing, and after my oil guzzling experience with a low mile 2007 rav4, I'm not interested in a 4 cylinder Toyota for some time. Both vehicles are as uninspiring as a box of Melba toast. Supposedly the new rav4 can be had with a faster version like the old v6 model. 

in my experience Subaru will have a better awd system than anything else mentioned.  The others (Mazda, Kia) will be fine but just arent as rosbust but that depends  on your needs. 

Yeah, that generation of RAV4 had the same 2AZFE as a lot of other cars and that was a bad generation. I haven't heard any issues with Toyota's new 4 cylinders.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/8/22 9:57 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

If you can get that, I would jump on it.  The Escape has been a pretty consistent vehicle that has discounts- so in practice, you can easily get one for cheap.    I keep getting offers to turn in my Fusion for a similar Escape for less than $200/mo.  If we were not down sizing, I would jump all over that.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/22 10:12 a.m.

If you're looking at the Blazer/Trailblazer and can't find them, look to their cousins:  Traverse/Acadia/Enclave.  Mom has a '19 Acadia and it has one of the nicest interiors I have ever seen.  Lovely vehicle.  Normally I wouldn't say GM for the quality part, but this particular one has been flawless. but dang... super sweet ride.  I suggest against the Cadillac cousin (XT5/6) as they tend to try an wow you with exotic interior bits that are of terrible quality.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/8/22 10:19 a.m.

In reply to RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah for me it's 20r 22r or nothing. 

1/8/22 10:40 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

I hear the Tacoma 4 Cylinder is basically the 22R but slightly updated. There is hope!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/10/22 4:23 p.m.

Nothing purchased yet but lots of discussion this weekend. Thank you for all of the help. Also, yeah, glad I'm not trying to buy a car right now. (On the other hand, the amount of money offered to buy a used car is just staggering.)

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/10/22 4:27 p.m.

Kona, Sportage, Tucson, Seltos any of those are the droid you're looking for.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/22 4:33 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to alfadriver :

I would spend the extra money and get an escape. We test drove an Ecosport when we got the Jeep. It felt much cheaper than our 500 which is quite a feat for something built in a factory. 

When I was looking, they seemed more of a tall Focus, as opposed to an actual SUV/CUV- which is one reason I didn't bother to look at it.

It is.  When I had one as a loaner while they updated the ECU on my FoRS, the dash and steering wheel were nearly identical (except its wider in the Escape).

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/10/22 4:38 p.m.

AWD wagon like Audi/VW, Subi Impreza, any K-series AWD Honda?

If you don't need the ground clearance Clarence this migh be the ticket.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/10/22 4:46 p.m.

EcoSport is Ford's B-car platform, same a Fiesta.  The EcoSport has always look "third world" to me.  It is after all, build in India and imported to the US.    Also expected to be in its last year in the US.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2Rz4YoHQhTvDqrnFsPRFjKxNckkz2eALYklDvWf1erg4XmCoT6Kw1rnpabEt3Vjt