Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
9/22/10 2:45 p.m.

Hey guys,

Now that I know the insurance company is totaling my RX-3 SP,and I have a buy back amount,what do I do next. I have not decided what I am going to do about buying the car back yet,but I probably will. From there I am not sure if I want to find another good chassis,and swap whatever is good on my car still to it,and make a nice new SP. My other options are let the insurance company take the car back,or keep it,part it out,or sell as a whole. The idea of parting it out is feasible,but what is my time,and effort worth? I am sure I could get my money back that way,but do I want to take all that time in my life away for a few bucks?

I would also like any ideas as to what to replace this with if I choose to not build up another. My requirements are 4 real seats(not a 2+2,or two Miata's you guys),preferably RWD,fun to drive,but doesn't have to be a crazy monster power,and handeling machine,and unique enough that I won't see many others in a given day. I like cars that people don't know what they are right away(well GRM folk would know them,but the layperson wouldn't).I would like to stay with vintage cars,but I also like RX-8's as well so newer wouldn't be bad either.

I suppose I could also just pocket the money,and keep it as a strike fund(union contract year) until I find the right car,and or I find out if we will be getting a new contract a year from now.

What say you fine folks of the GRM??

Chris

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 Reader
9/22/10 3:35 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I suppose I could also just pocket the money,and keep it as a strike fund(union contract year) until I find the right car,and or I find out if we will be getting a new contract a year from now. What say you fine folks of the GRM?? Chris

There's always something to be said for being prepared, but have you considered an Alfa Milano? They seem to be the going topic these days.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/22/10 4:17 p.m.

If you found an RX3 that survived, maybe you could find something like an 81 626.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
9/22/10 4:22 p.m.

Buy it back, 'glass the parts that are munched, tube whatever part of the frame is bent, have s00per sneaky sleeper.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
9/22/10 4:34 p.m.

I didn't find one that survived as much as I found one that was restored. I know of a survivor 81 626 by the way. It is in super nice condition,and local to me. Not the greatest cars though.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/22/10 4:57 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I would also like any ideas as to what to replace this with if I choose to not build up another. My requirements are 4 real seats(not a 2+2,or two Miata's you guys),preferably RWD,fun to drive,but doesn't have to be a crazy monster power,and handeling machine,and unique enough that I won't see many others in a given day. I like cars that people don't know what they are right away(well GRM folk would know them,but the layperson wouldn't).I would like to stay with vintage cars,but I also like RX-8's as well so newer wouldn't be bad either.

Alfa Milano!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
9/22/10 7:38 p.m.

How about a Lancia Beta?

96DXCivic
96DXCivic SuperDork
9/22/10 7:42 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: How about a Lancia Beta?

Good luck finding one that hasn't returned to mother earth.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/22/10 7:47 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: How about a Lancia Beta?

Wrong Wheel Drive, unless you mean a Scorpion.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
9/24/10 12:06 p.m.

Any other non-Italian ideas?

mndsm
mndsm Dork
9/24/10 12:19 p.m.

510?

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
9/24/10 12:25 p.m.

What about an 810? They're pretty butt ugly but they have a lot of early Z goodness. Hard to find but not impossible. Also, what about Celica's, '80's Supra's, early Capri's, E30 BMW's or 2002's, Rabbits, Scirocco's, GTI's, A2 Jetta GLI's, and probably a lot more, those are what came to mind though.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/24/10 12:31 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Now that I know the insurance company is totaling my RX-3 SP,and I have a buy back amount,what do I do next. I have not decided what I am going to do about buying the car back yet,but I probably will. From there I am not sure if I want to find another good chassis,and swap whatever is good on my car still to it,and make a nice new SP. My other options are let the insurance company take the car back,or keep it,part it out,or sell as a whole. The idea of parting it out is feasible,but what is my time,and effort worth? I am sure I could get my money back that way,but do I want to take all that time in my life away for a few bucks?

Didn't you just get that? What happened?

Parting out might get you more money than you'd expect so if you've got the space and patience, you might actually get the funds together for another nice car that way.

Other than that, what about sticking a rotary into a 510?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
9/24/10 1:29 p.m.

Yes Tim, I just bought the car,and 6 days later it was totaled on only my second drive,one mile from home. I maybe put 20 miles on it total!!!

Pics can be seen here:

http://web.me.com/cdirado/Diradosite/RX-3-damage.html

Chris

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Reader
9/24/10 1:32 p.m.

1989-1992 Toyota Cressida, 4 doors, all the main bits come from the same era supra, RWD

Toyota introduced the slightly larger fourth generation of the Cressida, the MX83, in 1989 — the final generation for the Cressida in North America. Standard features included a new "semi lock" transmission that did not engage out of park unless the driver put their foot on the brake pedal and the new, more powerful 3.0 liter 7M-GE engine. This engine produced 190 horsepower (140 kW) at 6000 rpm and 185 ft·lbf (250 Nm) at 4800 rpm. As with previous generations, technology was shared with the Toyota Supra. In addition to the powertrain, the brake and suspension technology were modified versions of the Supra. Equipment included power windows, power locks for the doors, cruise control, and automatic transmissions. Options included anti-lock brakes, leather seating, one-touch power moonroof, a single disc CD player, and leather upholstery with power adjustments for the driver and front passenger's seats. It also offered a full-sized spare wheel and tire. 1989 and 1990 models featured a powered remote control for the HVAC controls which slid out of the dashboard. The 1991 model was slightly restyled including its grille, the addition of the new Toyota "T" globe logo, slight interior tweaks, and redesigned aluminium alloy wheels. 1992 models were mostly a carryover from the 1991.
aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
9/24/10 1:38 p.m.

Generally the buy back price from the insurance company should be very low. So if you have the time it's kind of a no-brainer. Otherwise you are basically throwing away what you have into the car (if you haven't done a lot of stuff to it, it may not really be worth it of course). Your fellow RX-3 owners might appreciate some of the good parts also (if you are not getting another).

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/24/10 1:41 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Yes Tim, I just bought the car,and 6 days later it was totaled on only my second drive,one mile from home. I maybe put 20 miles on it total!!! Pics can be seen here: http://web.me.com/cdirado/Diradosite/RX-3-damage.html Chris

Ouch! Hope you're OK. Pity about the car, looks like it was a nice one.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
9/29/10 8:52 a.m.

So guys help me find a new car. Check should be in the mail,and to me in 3-5 business days,so the search begins. I have not decided what to do with the RX-3,but I did buy it back from the insurance company. I have it posted up for sale on JNC,and RX-7 club,but so far no luck. I know I could part it out,but if I can get it sold as a whole it would be easier. I could always just get another shell,and go that route,but I am going to try selling it first.

Chris

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
9/29/10 3:32 p.m.

If you don't mind an Italian car, I did post this Milano that's located near the MA/NY state line.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/pretty-red-alfa-romeo-/270639368265?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f035d0849

I know nothing about these cars except that they start rust at the mere mention of the word, "salt." This car's owner probably doesn't have the word "salt" in his vocabulary!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f2Kq7OYICwIL3ybRt2L3X9KhUNvVaSDKJ8eXG0aIOV46jCtPCSDcp7aG4Jk0kgsC