1 2
Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
4/23/23 3:08 p.m.

Personally I think step #1 you have already taken which is marriage counseling from a bunch of tards on GRM forum.

Step #2 is to quit buying aged Jags.

Step #3 is to embrace the "old men die when they quit" and hang up the keys, start your new career which is WHATEVERTHEFUK you want to focus your remaining years on and bury your head in those activities while preparing for eventual departure with a big grin on your face.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/23/23 4:01 p.m.

WWII era sales guy at work retired after 50 years and came back 3 days later as an all commission salesman.  Double commission and not one single benefit.  He had to pay all his expenses and cover his own benefits.  

He retired at 75 YO and worked until he was 85 YO selling rubber hoses, seals and rubber strips/gaskets.  At one point he was working a short day while drinking 3 martinis at lunch.  I was 35 YO and this guy kicked my ass with his work ethic and how he grabbed life by the balls. 

Can you do that?  Work for a higher commission or part-time in your sales market? 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/23/23 6:06 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I'd work straight commission with no benefits in a heart beat. I may try that this summer rather than the few hours I'll get doing charters. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
4/23/23 6:20 p.m.

Go to some sort of racing event. Anything. Maybe something you've never attended. Talk to the people there. Draw inspiration from how they're enjoying the racing.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/23/23 6:37 p.m.

That's high on my list. Except we had snow Friday and Saturday so the racing season hadn't started yet. 
  I do agree that's a great motivation.  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/23/23 6:41 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Does she treat you like an employee or an equal part of the team? 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/23/23 6:52 p.m.

We had that discussion last night.  So far she has been more respectful. 
 It's actually helped!!  

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
4/24/23 1:49 a.m.

I know that you have an aviation background. Go pass your knowledge on, there is a demand for instructors.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/24/23 5:29 a.m.

I didn't actually think I would get married at the age I did (30). One thing I made sure of is that my wife would be accepting of my personal time and passions/hobbies. I don't know you at all but I suspect you're a fair bit older than me so maybe its already been "set", but I don't think communication/talking would hurt.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/24/23 8:13 a.m.
pilotbraden said:

I know that you have an aviation background. Go pass your knowledge on, there is a demand for instructors.

The last time I actually flew an airplane was in the 1970's. It was a twin engine piston and propeller Grumman S2E. 
   Since they aren't even used for firefighting anymore I doubt I have much value along those lines. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/24/23 8:18 a.m.

In reply to RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you. Yes I'm 75 and when we first met I showed her my hobby.  Even had her sit in the MGTD.  
    Because I was busy finishing up the house construction,  years went by with the cars untouched.  
     She took that to mean I no longer cared about them.  

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/24/23 9:00 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you. Yes I'm 75 and when we first met I showed her my hobby.  Even had her sit in the MGTD.  
    Because I was busy finishing up the house construction,  years went by with the cars untouched.  
     She took that to mean I no longer cared about them.  

Ahh, I see. Well, sounds like she misunderstood your feelings, but that's where communication might help out. I haven't been to a race track in 1-2 years because I've been dealing with house projects and stuff but I definitely tell my wife I miss going to the race track.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/24/23 9:00 p.m.
frenchyd said:

We had that discussion last night.  So far she has been more respectful. 
 It's actually helped!!  

Tell her what you told us. Well, maybe not all of it. See what happens. Sounds like a hard spot but "hoping it'll change" never changed anything. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
48sjnloG8QUEYUeWeed02EwRRV0u9znwdfimN6W5EVzYNdXc2k8UQzl7EyCpkUco