1 2 3
SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/6/23 7:46 a.m.

I blew the engine on my truck a couple months ago. 2012 F150 Platinum Ecoboost.  Up until that point the truck was one of the best I've ever owned. VG condition- truly rust free, all maintenance done regularly. But it had 250K on it- highway miles. 

The engine failure was unexpected, and catastrophic. It may have had a turbo over boost condition.

Ive bought another truck, so I don't need it.  I hate to give it to the scrappers for a couple hundred bucks, but I really don't need a project right now.

I considered putting a new engine in it.  Engine + turbos= $13,000. If I want a Ford warranty, it's $16,000. I can't justify that on a 250K truck, and I don't need a 2nd truck.

I don't want to spend a lot of effort parting it out (though I know that's the best way to make money). 

So, my options are:

- Sell it as-is. (Any recommendations where to sell it?)

- Grab a few parts off it and junk it.  (Beautiful interior, wheels/ tires, etc. Anything I should really consider saving?)

I don't have the space to store it, and I have very little time these days for another project.

The truck doesn't really owe me anything, it's time to move on.  WWGRM do?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/6/23 7:47 a.m.

Side note...

My new truck is identical to the old (except the engine), so parts will interchange. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/23 7:51 a.m.

1. What is it worth in working order. 

2. How much is a used motor with turbos?  

Do some math and sell it with a healthy profit included for the persons that purchases it from you. 

dean1484
4/6/23 8:02 a.m.

Went to car guru and  if it was in good working order I think it is a 8-10k truck with those miles. 

I would assume these motors can be had easy?  

List it for 3k as is where is and some one will snatch it up.  

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
4/6/23 8:05 a.m.

Sell it at Copart.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/6/23 8:06 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

When It's time to move on.  Do simple,  your time is worth more than what you'll get.  
 Call the junkyard. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/6/23 8:17 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Do this then in four weeks call the  JY

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/6/23 8:25 a.m.

Crush it.  It's toast.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/23 8:27 a.m.

How much would it cost to have a used engine put in, and how much could you sell it for at that point?

dean1484
4/6/23 8:43 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
dean1484 said:

Do this then in four weeks call the  JY

Maybe but if someone bites you have 3k. If it goes to the JY you have lost nothing. 

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/6/23 8:56 a.m.

I think we are missing the obvious.  Get the diesel Miata back and combine them into the Mercedes F150. laugh

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/6/23 9:00 a.m.

If the truck is in good condition other than the blown engine, I'd be inclined to find one in a junkyard that got rear-ended hard.  Pull the engine, stuff it in, and once it's all working, sell the truck.  If you can get an engine for a reasonable price you can probably come out ahead. 

JBinMD
JBinMD New Reader
4/6/23 9:04 a.m.

This might be blasphemous but 2012 F150 + LS truck engine swap = pretty decent truck.  With that said, I have no idea how difficult it would be to keep all of the F150's canbus stuff happy with a swap.  

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/6/23 9:10 a.m.

Used motor swap is $10K.  No warranties.  Who knows if the CANBUS will talk. 

The least expensive shops are the ones least likely to complete the swap well. 

I am NOT doing it myself.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/6/23 9:12 a.m.

The truck would be worth $18-20,000 with a KNOWN good motor and a warranty. 

It's a fantastic truck, but the mileage will kill its resale value. 

It would be worth $26-28,000 if it didn't have the miles. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/6/23 9:12 a.m.

In reply to logdog (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks a lot. The diesel Miata was a memory I was trying to forget! cheeky

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/6/23 9:15 a.m.

The motors aren't that easy to get. JY price is over $6K for the bare motor.  I'd expect it to get close to $8K with the turbos.

The rebuilts are 2-3 months lead time. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/6/23 9:17 a.m.
ddavidv said:

Sell it at Copart.

Never sold there. Do I need an account?  Is it just for dealers?

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/23 9:28 a.m.

There is somebody with a rusty-assed heap that's looking for a better body.

I think you can sell this one private party for more than you can get at a JY.

The Copart thing would work, too, and you can set a reserve.

wae
wae PowerDork
4/6/23 9:31 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Wow, a used motor is $10k and a new one (I assume a commercially reman-ed one?) is only $3k more?  That's pretty nuts!  I guess the meat of that is the labor, huh?  Wow.

It kind of sounds like the financials only work if the labor is "free".  Even if you got the truck for free, it still wouldn't be a screaming deal to take it and pay someone to put a motor in it.  It looks like a used motor with under 100k on it would be around $6k so I could see someone paying $6k for a motor, maybe $2k for the truck, doing the work, and then they'd have a truck worth around $11-12k for $8k-$9k, making it worth their while.  Maybe it'd be worth a little more with a low-milage engine. 

You're either looking for that guy, or the guy that's going to part it out.  If you just need it gone and it really doesn't owe you anything, I'd put it up for $3,500 as "runs great, needs engine".  I'd also call around to the local junkyards and see what they'd give you for it and then knock $500 off a week until it's gone or it reaches what the yard will pay.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/6/23 9:43 a.m.

Sell as is and/or ask for trade offers?

Isn't that a model where the cab has to be lifted off the frame for an engine swap?  The economics don't work unless labor is free, and then only a little bit.   

What about a donation to a local tech school?  Or donate to pubic radio?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/6/23 9:53 a.m.
SV reX said:
ddavidv said:

Sell it at Copart.

Never sold there. Do I need an account?  Is it just for dealers?

I looked once at selling a car at IAA (similar to Copart)

For $100 they would run it two weeks. The second week being the presumption that it didn't meet a reserve I set for week one. 

Will the truck drive on or off a trailer (in at least one direction)?  Their definition of Run and Drive is not much more than this.  If it will not then it will be listed as Will Not Start - keys present. 

Id predict your truck will leave the country like Mexico, Africa, South America where it will get a replacement engine at 3rd word wages.  It will likely get a new odometer too. 

Clean it really well because it's gonna sell via pictures.  If the engine bay has been sprayed with oil I would pour some jugs of degreaser at it and a power washer. 

Copart/IAA is where a lot of ROUGH trade-in cars are sold because it's all As-is and no recourse for the buyer.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/6/23 9:58 a.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

Isn't that a model where the cab has to be lifted off the frame for an engine swap?  The economics don't work unless labor is free, and then only a little bit.   

What about a donation to a local tech school?  Or donate to pubic radio?

No. That's the later body styles

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/6/23 9:59 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

No chance it will start. 3" hole in the side of the block. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UBFafijkEQUjm5fCkeOlXksRRfgXCKUq7qnBZkSjRksEruQoTfPbzztWDUm7mnuG