1 2
golfduke
golfduke Reader
9/3/14 2:33 p.m.

also, one trend that's becoming annoying in my searching is that apparently 95% of convertibles are made as automatics as well.

Finding a not junk E30/E36 manual convertible in New England is all but impossible it seems.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/3/14 2:45 p.m.

I loved my Miata. I got a Mini Cooper S and liked it a lot, but it was a hard top and I missed the convertible.

I went with a newer Mustang GT vert. It is total just exactly unlike a Miata, but it is awesome in another way. And this is coming from someone who has always looked down on “pony cars” since I cut my mullet off around 1990.

Had I not wanted to take two kids and wife with me I would have went with another NB or NC without a second thought. But now that I have been corrupted by power, I know that I would miss it. The thing handles decent enough – I am too much of a neanderthal to get upset about a live axel. Sound is awesome with a cat delete and axel back exhaust and spining tires never gets old.

I considered a E46 M3 vert, but they are crazy with the asking price and I couldn’t find a clean one in stick close by that wasn’t silver with black leather seats.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
9/3/14 2:47 p.m.
golfduke wrote: I do not, however, want to give up the 'fun' aspect of it- light, kinda slow, but also fun. I'd love input as to something of similar-ish value(~5000), convertible, rwd, 4 seats, manual, and fun on twisty roads.

E36 352ic/328iC E46 328/330 Early S197 Muswang Convertible?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/3/14 3:07 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: V6 Mustang Convertible?

I got married in one. "I do" with the engine running. It wasnt bad, but I certainly wouldn't buy one. Well, I might someday buy one for sentimental reasons, but not because they are desirable cars in any way.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
9/3/14 3:08 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Mustang!! I think those are even less of a 4-seater than an FRS.

Meh..put the top down and the kids can stand up. Problem solved.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
9/3/14 3:18 p.m.

Never driven a MINI convertible (the hard-tops are fun), but they seat 4. Prices seem to start around $6K, which puts you in the ballpark.

rotard
rotard Dork
9/3/14 3:48 p.m.

Ooooo Lebaron

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/3/14 5:47 p.m.

Rear seats were an option for them I believe.

Storz
Storz Dork
9/3/14 7:06 p.m.

BMW is the answer.

kylini
kylini Reader
9/3/14 7:09 p.m.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/3/14 7:19 p.m.

similar handling dynamics, 4 seats. Trust me.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
9/3/14 7:34 p.m.

Saab 9-3 convertible?

Misses the light weight mark, but is fun (enough) to drive, can get for cheap, and they are easier to find in new england.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
9/4/14 7:43 a.m.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
9/4/14 7:53 a.m.

I have an E36 328. Fun car, but not a four seat Miata. More like a German Mustang - it's more of a "start with a practical, small-ish car, add large engine for its size" sort of thing. I think the closest thing to a four seat Miata would be a Fiat 124 Spyder. They do have a back seat... sort of.

A number of other cars nobody's mentioned:

• S13 chassis 240SXs came in drop tops.
  • Mustang
  • Celica Sunchaser
Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/4/14 8:06 a.m.
irish44j wrote: similar handling dynamics, 4 seats. Trust me.

that is the one car we test drove (G37 vert). I had a G35 sedan before. the convertible was knocked out due to the fact that the hard top took up 95% of the trunk. there was no room in the trunk at all. If you are used to Miata or Mini Cooper levels of trunk space, then this is a problem. Also the rear seat leg room was smaller then my Mini and way smaller then my Mustang. This is with car seats - some seats with large bolsters make the car seat sit out more.

Gieb
Gieb New Reader
9/4/14 8:15 a.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote:
that is the one car we test drove (G37 vert). I had a G35 sedan before. the convertible was knocked out due to the fact that the hard top took up 95% of the trunk. there was no room in the trunk at all. If you are used to Miata or Mini Cooper levels of trunk space, then this is a problem. Also the rear seat leg room was smaller then my Mini and way smaller then my Mustang. This is with car seats - some seats with large bolsters make the car seat sit out more.

I think that's a Lexus SC430

Type Q
Type Q Dork
9/4/14 8:15 a.m.

You want 4 seats and fun like a Miata? Buy two Miatas.

I can't believe this thread got two pages before anyone suggested that.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/4/14 6:49 p.m.
Gieb wrote:
Rusnak_322 wrote:
I think that's a Lexus SC430

Eww! That doesn't even come with a manual trans, does it?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vIFKcL3ZiJC6QOrmsNPo6qyQzTQyrWAyGr8VV5cFuaKqSAB5158gdo71hYWG2jwt