1 2 3
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/23/22 10:22 a.m.
feature_image

Buying a car used to be easy: You’d hand over cash, then someone would give you keys and title.

But buying our newest project car–a 2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI destined for some track fun–wasn’t so simple.

You see, we got it from Carvana.

Why a Mk7 Volkswagen GTI?

We knew we wanted to play with a Mk7 Golf …

Read the rest of the story

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/23/22 10:32 a.m.

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement, is it?

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/23/22 10:45 a.m.

My one encounter with Carvana was when they bought my six year old Sienna minivan for almost $30k cash during the pandemic.  They showed up with a rollback, I signed one form, they handed me a check and drove off with my van.  It felt a little too good to be true.  Apparently it was.

spedracer
spedracer New Reader
11/23/22 10:45 a.m.

I could forgive everything else, but I'd be pissed about not getting the car out of the vending machine.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
11/23/22 10:53 a.m.

A recent headline was how, in roughly a year, their stock price has dropped 97% from peak. Something like $350 to around $6-7. Their flaw is having a business plan of paying more for used cars than everyone else, while using investor money to keep the doors open. With used car prices dropping, they've found themselves in a Business Garbage Compactor.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/23/22 10:57 a.m.

In reply to spedracer :

I know, right? I'm not saying it'd be a deal breaker for me, but it feels pretty close.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/23/22 11:09 a.m.

An acquaintance is on his 3rd temp tag from 3rd different state waiting on his title. That would scare me away pretty quick.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/23/22 11:09 a.m.

Well now.  So much for progress.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/22 11:16 a.m.

Well, that was exactly the opposite of my experience with them. I found them to be pretty flawless when I bought the Touareg a month ago. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/23/22 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I wonder how much of that comes down to training and experience. When I worked at a large used car dealership chain, the training process was very much "here's how to do everything" and then you kind of got thrown to the wolves.

I know that sort of learning process can work for some people, but it was definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/23/22 11:24 a.m.
spedracer said:

I could forgive everything else, but I'd be pissed about not getting the car out of the vending machine.

I'm glad I'm not alone: I literally turned to my wife when we were in the parking lot and said "I'd be okay with the past week of being jerked around if they'd at least showed me the vending machine."

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/22 11:46 a.m.

GTIs can handle being dropped out of a tree, so a vending machine shouldn't be a problem (fun fact, VW actually dropped the car from a tree for that advertisement as it was less cost prohibitive than doing the CGI would've been at the time) 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
11/23/22 11:49 a.m.
buzzboy said:

An acquaintance is on his 3rd temp tag from 3rd different state waiting on his title. That would scare me away pretty quick.

Sounds like my experience with Vroom, when you need to call multiple times because they don't understand why I didn't want to drive on expired temp tags. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/22 12:26 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I would bet that that enters into it. The other part is I was doing their standard purchase without any curves thrown at them. Straight-up purchase, no hurricane problems, I let them finance a small balance, and had no issues with my bank account being verified. They dropped it off within 30 minutes of the expected arrival. Communication with the delivery driver was perfect. I even had the tags within 2 weeks of purchase. It was literally the easiest car purchase I have ever had. 

I'm pretty disappointed to hear that Tom's experience was so much worse. The wife is looking for a new minivan and Carvana is my first choice for dealers. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/22 12:33 p.m.

Are they going to put all those rollbacks up for sale soon?

Ramp truck!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/23/22 12:37 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Are they going to put all those rollbacks up for sale soon?

Ramp truck!

Yeah I would love one of those , if anyone sees them up for sale please post the info,

:)

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
11/23/22 12:49 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

GTIs can handle being dropped out of a tree, so a vending machine shouldn't be a problem (fun fact, VW actually dropped the car from a tree for that advertisement as it was less cost prohibitive than doing the CGI would've been at the time) 

Well, a VW maybe, not a Citroen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t78uhwu8k9M

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
11/23/22 1:08 p.m.

There goes that bubble, popping more quickly than most.  When market cornering and price gouging (great financing available!) are your primary modes of business, it is just a matter of time . . .

Take it as a sign when a company is banned from doing business in multiple states.

ThumperUSMC
ThumperUSMC GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/23/22 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

That kinda sucks... It has convinced me that I won't try to buy any cars from Carvana, that's for sure.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/22 1:45 p.m.

I'm taking 67 as the number of days before you get title and or permanent tags. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
11/23/22 1:51 p.m.

So dealers are impossible to interact with and think the market is still sitting enough that they can get away with $5k of markups and other bs charges, carvana will take six months to send you a title....who CAN you buy a car from these days?

GM > MG
GM > MG New Reader
11/23/22 2:08 p.m.

My son just got a 2012-2014? mustang on CarVana maybe 6-8 weeks ago.

He said it worked great, got his title in 3 weeks.

I wonder if its an older model and there is not loan payoff if it works better ? Dont have to deal w/ banks ?

erikvandermey
erikvandermey
11/23/22 2:22 p.m.

Sold my Fiesta ST to Carvana last spring, was super easy and they handed me a check on the spot (also paid me about $4k over blue book price). Figured I'd never get that kind of money out of an 8 year old car with 80k miles (only tracked twice).

KSB
KSB New Reader
11/23/22 2:27 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Amazingly bad  ustomer service. Just bought a new Silverado 1500 diesel off the lot and the dealer had no problems accepting a personal check for the difference after our trade and a copy of the insurance card from our old truck, since State Farm automatically covers any new vehicle. And this is for a truck that stickered at $63k and was sold at $57k. Plus they gave us 80% of what we had originally paid for our 2016 Silverado. We were in and out in less than 2 hours. By the way, do you have your title yet?

jglee920
jglee920 New Reader
11/23/22 2:47 p.m.

I had almost the same experience.  Trying to buy a Mustang GT on a Saturday.  Finally got through all the website glitching to linking account for payment (I wasn't financing the purchase, either).  It wouldn't link or couldn't confirm sufficient funds, I can't remember.  I then tried their option for a third person to talk to my bank.  By this time, I had spent so much time going through the process that my bank was closed.  They wouldn't accept screenshots of my account balance, etc.  Basically told me to move along if I couldn't electronically link the account, which I still couldn't for some reason.

Long story shorter, I spent 2-3 hours trying to give them $30k+ and finally just gave up.  After recent reports of title problems, I'm glad I couldn't finalize the purchase.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
366kaHQpYXDwbVG2l4reX723hMqHZ7HuN8nZgchA81oZ4L5aSd8sOnKAFQk8L0Rm