1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/26/22 12:38 p.m.
feature_image

You’re the road, you’re hungry, and you didn’t pack a BB&J.

Whatcha eating?

Food through a window or more of a sit-down meal?

Trusted chain or something local?

And any road food tips to share with the rest of the class?

Read the rest of the story

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
12/26/22 12:40 p.m.

on a long tow - Denny's or Waffle House.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/26/22 1:05 p.m.

I always look for something local where I can sit down and get good refills and probably has a clean restroom.  I also avoid things that might upset my stomach.  My best stops were between Dallas and San Antonio where my parents live like the Monument Cafe in Georgetown.  I need to find new stops now that we moved.  Local, good food, good service, clean restrooms and real food are my decision points.  I avoid fast food at almost all costs.

David S. Wallens
12/26/22 1:28 p.m.

I took the lead photo, so you can maybe guess my reply here.

My parents live in more rural part of the country, and my dad likes to ride his motorcycle. He made a book of breakfasts that he has eaten while out for rides. Always the same order, too: omelette, grits, biscuit and coffee. 

David S. Wallens
12/26/22 1:28 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/26/22 2:07 p.m.

Beef jerky.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/22 2:14 p.m.

beef jerky if I'm pre-packing and trying to avoid stops

popeyes or Burger King if it's delivered through the window

waffle House if I'm sitting down and so blessed as to have one on my route

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/26/22 2:22 p.m.

Whataburger or Taco Casa are the usual places I eat when away from home. 

Both of those are probably mostly pertinent to Texas folks.

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
12/26/22 2:22 p.m.

Applebee's.  You can get a weak, de-stressing beer while stuffing your face and being out of the car.  It's also usually good to sneak in a salad when you can on a trip of any determined length . . .

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/26/22 2:32 p.m.

Chik fil a is reliable. Always good bathrooms. 

"cook out" when in GA/SC for the oddly affordable tasty junkfood

Taco bell rocks EXCEPT its absolutely impossible to eat it in a vehicle and not have it look like someone busted a taco bell pinata in my lap. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/26/22 2:34 p.m.

Gotta have a party size bag of Doritos in the car for between stops.

lagunamike
lagunamike New Reader
12/26/22 3:10 p.m.

Don't forget Buc-ee's for clean bathrooms and gas. . . Pretty decent food too!!

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
12/26/22 3:19 p.m.
lagunamike said:

Don't forget Buc-ee's for clean bathrooms and gas. . . Pretty decent food too!!

You must be in a certain geography. I think Loves is probably the best nation wide for clean restrooms and good gas. 

I can't stand Waffle House due to numerous bad experiences but I'll do Bob EVANS/village inn/etc depending on where I am.

David S. Wallens
12/26/22 3:54 p.m.

For clean bathrooms, check out Publix, too. 

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
12/26/22 4:12 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

Buc-ee's is still regional but growing.  I think they started in Texas and just got into Kentucky.  I counted 3 between Cincinnati and Naples, Florida.

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab Reader
12/26/22 4:14 p.m.

Generally, nuts/trail mix, beef jerky, and black coffee. Big, carb heavy foods make me sleepy which doesn't mix for long trips for me. 

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
12/26/22 4:41 p.m.

Love the regional fast food joints that I can't get at home.  Bojangles in the south and Culver's in the midwest are always things to look forward to whilst on the road.  Looks like I need to hit up Cookout next time I'm in the Carolinas though. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/26/22 4:43 p.m.

20 years ago, we went down to Atlanta to pick up an Alfa GT Jr chassis.  For that trip (which included two nights), we only ate at Waffle House.  I guess you can say our truck didn't smell all that pleasant.  

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
12/26/22 4:56 p.m.

Buccee's breakfast tacos and burritos are the business.  While typically crowded the potties are always clean and any manner of roadfood or beverage seems to be available.

Ricster986
Ricster986 New Reader
12/26/22 5:04 p.m.

Every road trip through the South has to have a breakfast stop at a Waffle House for "smothered and covered Hash Browns" and a breakfast visit to a Bojangles drive-thru for their "Ham Biscuits."

In the last few years the addition in Georgia, Florida, and Alabama of Buc-ee's has become a must stop for the fun food and its preparation, the huge clean bathrooms and shopping. A friend calls the shopping part of them "Cracker Barrel on Steroids" for their huge selection of down home county types of products.  

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/26/22 5:49 p.m.

In-n-Out

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
12/26/22 6:18 p.m.

Buc-ees is solid

Culvers is a real winner

Chick-fil-a is good but always super busy so the juice has to be worth the squeeze

Dodge's Southern Style has real good fried chicken and biscuits and gravy and a chicken fried steak biscuit sandwich.  Not always in the nicest parts of town though.

I have heard good things about Cook Out but never been to one.  Wanna check it out next time I am in the south.  

If I can swing it I will do local, even if its a taco truck on the side of the road or a fried E36 M3 counter at a corner gas station.  At least its always an adventure.  

I wont do an Applebees/Cracker Barrel.  If I am gonna do sitdown, its gotta be local.

Whataburger doesnt do it for me - too close to Burger King.  I have been told by born and bred Texans that it is the best though.

Uncle David (Forum Supporter)
Uncle David (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/26/22 6:26 p.m.

If I'm just trying to get somewhere, and especially if I'm alone, fast food. If I have a little more time, and there's someone else in the car to look stuff up, I can try a locally-owned place. Eating in my cars is not allowed, so I always stop and eat.

Good "let's try this place" memories include the Asylum Restaurant, Jerome, AZ, a hole-in-the-wall Mexican place in Connorsville, IN, Trego Dinner Bell, Trego, WI (different name now), and Wildberry Restaurant (Tibetan) in Ashford, WA.

I ate at a Waffle House once, in 1990. It is not yet time to give them a second chance.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/26/22 6:31 p.m.

Before I answer the question, I'll say that it's very rare for me or my family to be on the road without carrying food. Buying restaurant or even fast food is expensive, and I can be confident that I am unlikely to get sick. Also, my preferred food choices don't align with fast food options.

David mentioned Publix, often we will stop at a grocery store to pick up food. Wendy's used to be a reliable stop for us, many years ago, but went downhill after Dave died. Our standard meal there was a baked potato and Caesar salad. 

For fast food, I guess our go to would be Chick-fil-A most of the time. I haven't been in a Buccees yet, even though there's one in Daytona. Waffle house would be way down on my list. For sit down fast food, probably Applebee's or something similar. I do like trying to hunt up local non-chain restaurants.

David S. Wallens
12/26/22 6:33 p.m.

For local places, Chickin' Lickin'–I-95 in Hardeeville, South Carolina–is worth a stop. 

Plus you can buy fireworks across the parking lot at the gas station. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ICmlfI6ItI5hA4NV75qTNIcUbYYbSDbeo4ntiG90rUJbkbLFOGfvjLQNhZg7xWiD