maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/31/09 3:07 p.m.

So, as you may know, my little brother has a truck. He is 15, and my dad helped him pay for a beater to fix up so he could drive it when he got his license.

we pulled the intake manifold off today to replace it with one I got for him. this is what happened....

yummy....

it is a pretty cool thing seeing a kid working on his first project, though.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
7/31/09 3:25 p.m.

Whats wrong thats easy someone used the cheap a$$ oil that comes in green bottles....Hint...two word name first word is a name of a religon. second word is what we have 50 of in this country.

Grab a shop vac and a puddy knife and go to town next move to a cheap screw driver then use a stiff brush and minneral sprits. Change oil have filter off and drain plug out blow compressed air in both ports of the oil filter block conection.
If truck runs okay stop here and just drive it. If you notice wavey oil presure drain oil fill with three quarts of minneral spirts and 2 quarts of marvel run at idle no load for 20 minutes let sit untill cool run again. then drain and blow in / out the filter ports to flush pump pick up and lifters.

best of luck

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/31/09 3:31 p.m.

Do I see some coolant in there?

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/31/09 3:36 p.m.
44Dwarf wrote: Hint...two word name first word is a name of a religon. second word is what we have 50 of in this country.

Damn Lutherish Governors.

valiant171
valiant171 New Reader
7/31/09 3:37 p.m.

OH WOW that is nasty!

It is because somebody used cheap oil ie "religion and something we have 50 of" or something that comes in yellow bottle...

Once you get all the gunk out, and button the motor back together, buy 10 quarts of cheap oil, fill it one half quart low and then put a half can of SEA FOAM in, run the truck ( i dont know maybe 50 miles) and change the oil again and you can use cheap filters too for the cleansing. I would do this at least twice then put some good oil in.

I am sure if you dont have sea foam in your area somebody will chime in for another product that works as well

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/31/09 3:52 p.m.

I have a bit of sea foam in the garage... the funny thing is that he drove it home from purchasing it. It sat for 8 years...

if there is any coolant...(i think i see some in the 2nd pic), I am sure it must have dumped off the intake when we removed it.

thanks for all the help, I was expecting some flaming...i guess I shouldn't from this board though...

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/31/09 4:26 p.m.

My man Mike wants to know what the oil pan looks like.

I bet it is purty!

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
7/31/09 4:36 p.m.
JmfnB wrote:
44Dwarf wrote: Hint...two word name first word is a name of a religon. second word is what we have 50 of in this country.
Damn Lutherish Governors.

Baptist Capitol Oil....[shakes head]...does it every time.

scardeal
scardeal New Reader
7/31/09 4:43 p.m.

Satanist State Flag Oil!

scardeal
scardeal New Reader
7/31/09 4:44 p.m.

Catholic People with a Clue Oil?

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
7/31/09 4:54 p.m.

Looks like you're a quart low on sludge there!

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/31/09 4:57 p.m.

we tried to get the pan out today, but the front crossmember is in the way...looks like the engine is coming out tomorrow.

2002acr
2002acr New Reader
7/31/09 5:09 p.m.

Any attempts to break up the sludge and drive it will just guarantee the engine blowing up real good. Hunks of sludge will clog the oil pickup sooner or later. Been there, done that. BTW almost any brand motor oil will do that if it is not changed. Quaker State has not been caker state for quite a few years now. It used to be that Pennsylvania oils were parrafin based and Texas oils were asphalt based, no longer true. Quaker State, Pennzoil and Slick 50 are all the same company now. Me? I like synthetics.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/31/09 6:09 p.m.
2002acr wrote: Any attempts to break up the sludge and drive it will just guarantee the engine blowing up real good. Hunks of sludge will clog the oil pickup sooner or later. Been there, done that.

ditto

Carson
Carson Dork
7/31/09 6:21 p.m.
JmfnB wrote: My man Mike wants to know what the oil pan looks like. I bet it is putty!

Fixed.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
7/31/09 8:21 p.m.
2002acr wrote: Quaker State has not been caker state for quite a few years now. It used to be that Pennsylvania oils were parrafin based and Texas oils were asphalt based, no longer true. Quaker State, Pennzoil and Slick 50 are all the same company now. Me? I like synthetics.

bingo we have a winner.

sitting for years will dry out any sludge and the heat of driving it home made it flake. clean as much as possible and drive it. It's his 1st truck he'll likley hurt it in more ways then one dirive it if it blows theres more 302 hanging around or up grade to 351

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/31/09 8:24 p.m.

if it blows up, I have a 460 and a C4 laying around and I am going to do the muscle truck thing...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AtclNi0hkL9IKcfPopfzLphpypu9PtWAhk1M1K8XwAeVBqWWYzpkMdnPoJdhzrnd