1 2
TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
9/24/21 8:06 a.m.

Im tall with most my height in limbs. The Daddy long legs of humans.   Default setting in any car is seat all the way back, with the front of the seat cushion up as high as it will go to provide whatever E36 M3ty support for my legs is possible, rear of the cushion all the way down to provide headroom. Usually only my butt touches the seat as my  knees are high, up behind the wheel due to lack of space to stretch out my legs.  To account for this excessive weight on only the cheeks on any longer drives I tip the seat back a bit more reclined than most and let the seat back take some of my weight. Always, always remove wallet from back pocket before sitting down. 

My Armada and most other 4 door full size trucks I can get pretty comfy in. Tundra crew Max I can actually move the seat forward from the stops of its travel rearward....just a touch.  And a sienna minivan. everything else is too small. It gets way worse when the kids are in their kid seats behind me.  

Tall people problems. 

The answer is not Miata. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/24/21 8:13 a.m.

Lean back... right hand on the pinewood

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 Reader
9/24/21 8:46 a.m.

In reply to preach (fs) :

I know a pcar when I see one...what engine cover is that?  Any issues with heat?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/24/21 8:59 a.m.

It really depends on the car.  I'm tall in the body, so not having my head jammed into the roof is the first priority.  I've never met a car that wouldn't be improved by moving the steering wheel six inches closer, and sometimes I wish there was more room between the steering wheel and the door, because half the time, that's where I want my left leg to be.

XC90 is awfully close to right, with it's lovely Volvo seat. Front of seat base almost all the way up, rear all the way down, fairly upright so I don't have to wear my elbows out by holding them straight out.  If the telescoping steering wheel moved a bit closer...

And seat heater on from October to May.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/21 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I turn my seat heater off a lot, usually when the ignition is off.

#dadjoke

Seat heater on full and air conditioning set to "arctic blast" is a wonderful thing in the summer.  Makes the back feel good, like driving while taking a hot shower.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/24/21 10:41 a.m.

I have to sit up straight. It has to help you focus on the task-at-hand I would think. (I remember the band director telling everyone to sit up straight, feet on the floor -but I played drums and didn't have to worry about it much).  Drove my mom's corvette once (and only once) to get her gas and felt like I'd done some stomach crunches from trying to continually sit more upright in those lounge-seats.

Also never got into the habit of hanging my left arm out as I've always driven manual cars and you need at least one hand to steer the car...

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
9/24/21 11:26 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

FMVSS-202A was the standard that introduced the anti-whiplash headrests. The cheaper the vehicle the more likely the piece is fixed and close to your head. The active headrests were expensive and tended to be reserved for higher end vehicles. There were several active versions when I retired in 2008, all were a PITA to manufacture due to complexity and the OEMs continually squeezing prices. How do I know......I was responsible for a couple of headrest manufacturing plants at the time.......and I don't miss it one bit.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wgCWkkNMTYBSmtgISExLui2Dp7SmPSeLTmwl1SkfkBabZIqztRxPEADmGI62pW2t