Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/15/21 8:16 p.m.

The Vaders in my m3 have to go. They look great, but they're uncomfortable and are starting to deter me from driving the car. 

Any suggestions on where I should start in my search for replacements? Fixed back or reclining seats are fine, just as long as they're comfortable for longer drives and have good bolstering. 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/16/21 7:44 p.m.

The most comfortable seats I've ever had were Recaro Pole Positions. I loved them for long drives. Padding in all the right places and tons of support meant your legs and back were always very relaxed. You just need to be a thinner guy than I currently am.

Turbine
5/16/21 8:29 p.m.

Thanks! I've heard a lot of good things about the Pole Position, but I'm not quite sure if I'd be able to fit in one either. I feel like I'm right on the borderline. 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
5/19/21 1:32 p.m.

The Recaro Sportster is my go to seat now... had a CS in my FR-S and have the newer GT version in my Nissan Frontier. Perfect blend of comfort and support - great for long trips and curvy roads or no roads offroad.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
5/19/21 1:50 p.m.

Momo Corsa in my old CSP Miata is just awesome, like a perfect hug holding you in place.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
5/19/21 3:16 p.m.

I started an almost identical thread a few years ago, because Vaders suck. My leg goes to sleep after about 3 hours in mine.

Have you tried any other BMW seats? E46 seats  bolt up and you might be able to find a seat material that matches the rest of your seats.

amerson
amerson New Reader
5/20/21 2:22 a.m.

I like the Recaro LS vintage 81. Very comfy.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/21 7:43 a.m.

The Recaro I had in my Porsche were great but eventually fell apart. The adjustment for tilt mechanism started shedding parts and the frame of the seat eventually broke. A bit of welding later and I had a fixed back seat. Used it for another 5-6 years until the seat cover was worn so thin it just fell apart on the side bolster. 

This may sound like a knock on these seats but it is not. I loved them. Extremely good seats and they saw about 350k miles of service. The car they are in is currently parked and will be sold or parted but they were great seats. I would highly recommend. 

Turbine
5/21/21 9:13 a.m.

Sounds like high praise for Recaros all around! I'm leaning slightly towards a fixed back seat just because I should be able to mount it lower and gain some headroom. I'm 6'0, but all torso, and if I wear a hat, my head hits the sunroof trim. Based on the way it looks at least, side mounts and some aftermarket seat brackets should lower the seat a few inches. But maybe I'm wrong

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/21/21 9:22 a.m.

One of my favorite seats was the E46  sports seats that were in my 325. Comfy and sporty enough without being a couch. (TBH I like them better to the pole positions)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gHE5GK349euLzk59FwUsgRIt6LWjMmizv4vjcS1nWKabfoyN1qBRk1mbUjvwTYeK