1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/28/22 8:47 a.m.
feature_image

Sure, Guards Red is a safe bet to paint a Porsche (has it ever looked bad on any model?), but what about the more rare or obscure colors?

Radium Green? Lido Gold? Moonstone? Whatever your favorite rare colorway is, let us know.

Read the rest of the story

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/28/22 9:13 a.m.

I remember seeing a brand new 928 Individual Order that was (I assume) Radium Green with a (Porsche equivalent of) Technoviolet leather interior.

It was... something.  "Individual" is putting it mildly.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/28/22 10:20 a.m.

Interested.

Aetna Blue

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/28/22 10:26 a.m.

You can look through 611 different Porsche colors at Rennbow. It's a database of colors maintained by the PCA.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/28/22 10:28 a.m.

I don't know how rare it is (couldn't be too many) since I don't keep up with Porsches too closely but the viola metallic for 964s is awesome. One of those that really changes in the light. 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
9/28/22 10:36 a.m.

Oslo Blue

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
9/28/22 10:45 a.m.

It's a modern color.  Not sure how "rare" it is, but it can't be very common because it seems like 80% of the Macan's I see on the road are black or silver.  Wife and I have been kicking around the idea of getting a Macan in the next year or so and we both like the mahogany metallic color.  Wife didn't at first until we saw one in person and it has a very slight purple tinge to it which changed her mind. 

-Rob

Trent
Trent PowerDork
9/28/22 11:23 a.m.

We repainted a 911S in its original Ice green a while back and I loved it.  Very similar to VW's Inari Silver from the same era

Kubotai
Kubotai New Reader
9/28/22 11:47 a.m.

I'm not sure about what qualifies as obscure but since most cars now are black, white, silver or some shade of gray I'm going to say almost any 'color' is rare.  Porsche makes a bunch of blues (some pretty similar) and I think I'll pick Miami Blue as my favorite:

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/28/22 11:55 a.m.

Really just made this item so I tell everyone I recently discovered Moonstone. It's my favorite Porsche color to date–but also super rare:

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/28/22 11:56 a.m.

Zambezi Green.

dyintorace
9/28/22 12:52 p.m.

Gulf Blue!

dyintorace
9/28/22 12:54 p.m.

Not to be confused with Golf Blue (which happened).

dps214
dps214 Dork
9/28/22 2:24 p.m.

Not exactly sure how rare they were originally, but they're basically non-existent on modern cars:

Ruby red metallic. A friend of mine owns this car, it was a uhh...let's call it "aftermarket paint to sample" car.

Rubystone "red". The GR86 might end up wrapped this color at some point.

Not sure if this counts, but my cayman has a somewhat unique interior color scheme, agate "gray"/pebble "gray", basically dark brown over white. I wasn't exactly sure about it at first but I really like it. (not my car in the photo)

EricM
EricM SuperDork
9/28/22 4:05 p.m.
EricM
EricM SuperDork
9/28/22 4:06 p.m.

mmmmmm brown

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/28/22 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

A big yes to Moonstone. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/28/22 5:05 p.m.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/28/22 5:12 p.m.
dps214 said:

Not exactly sure how rare they were originally, but they're basically non-existent on modern cars:

Ruby red metallic. A friend of mine owns this car, it was a uhh...let's call it "aftermarket paint to sample" car.

Rubystone "red". The GR86 might end up wrapped this color at some point.

Not sure if this counts, but my cayman has a somewhat unique interior color scheme, agate "gray"/pebble "gray", basically dark brown over white. I wasn't exactly sure about it at first but I really like it. (not my car in the photo)

Hey, I know Ruby Red Metallic. :) 

I lucked into it but totally love it. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/22 5:27 p.m.

Oak Green please. 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/28/22 5:37 p.m.

This thread reminds me that I really need to get to work on the Zanzibar Red Boxster.

Depending on lighting it can be a deep red or an orange. Samples:

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/28/22 6:01 p.m.

Not obscure, but old skool.  All racy German cars are supposed to be silver.   LOL   wink

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
9/28/22 6:31 p.m.
dyintorace said:

Not to be confused with Golf Blue (which happened).

I was very involved in that debacle. It was 100% a screw up on Porsches shoulders. Included in the order was a 12x12 piece painted GOLF blue, not GULF blue. 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/28/22 6:47 p.m.

Years ago a Boxster came up on eBay that was Speed Yellow with a Nephrite Green interior. The yellow isn't rare, but the combo... 

Makes my brain hurt. I have to keep looking back at it:

A similar 996:

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/28/22 6:55 p.m.

I won't claim this as my favorite...    Cassis Red

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IgqYyIGZEZbjh5TZS22oUKT027mTFThx2jcHCuN9eCPUtyDT2TYpmfAC6MIIZNfv