Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/13/21 9:21 p.m.
ShawnG said:
Appleseed said:

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

If you said anything about the Pitts, I'd have to fight you. laugh

Beechcraft model 17 is prettier.

The Pitts is more upside downier, which is why it's on the list. Nobody questions a Staggerwing's beauty.

Although if you combined attributes of both, your answer should be Hiperbipe.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
7/13/21 9:32 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I only brought it up because, until a bright yellow staggerwing flew over my house yesterday, I hadn't seen one in the flesh in years 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
7/13/21 10:09 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Well, A1D Spad, 

P38

A4 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/13/21 10:23 p.m.

A truck (Ridgeline in my case), a race car (Starlet lemons), a project (OK, I've got three of them), and a daily tosser (In the market). That's 4 (six actually). So sue me.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/14/21 12:07 a.m.

If you guys are going to include aircraft (and I think that's great), I'd like to include something I've always wanted to drive: 

A team of fast horses. I turned down an offer to drive a top level four horse team not long ago. They were good enough to have been invited to Europe for a competition. While I don't doubt that I could drive them, I didn't want the responsibility of driving a team with a collective value of probably $1 million. 

In case you thought that I'm referring to the horses you saw on your vacation to NYC or Saint Augustine, I'm talking about something like this. 

Because I'm not going to waste a pick on a truck when we only get three, and you can always drive a car to the track if your not a wimp: cheeky

Fun daily: For me it is one of the FR-S/BRZ/GT86 twins, but could just as easily be a 3-series, Civic Si, GTI, or similar.

Weekend/Project car: For me it a Suzuki Cappuccino, but could just as easily be a Spridget, Lotus Seven replica, Miata, or other small convertible

Motorcycle: For me, a Husqvarna 701 Supermoto, but could probably also be happy with something like a Yamaha FZ-07/09/Tenere, Aprilia Dorsoduro/Tuareg 660, DRZ400SM, or other lightish, upright, with plenty of suspension and a bit of sport.

RabidBullFrog
RabidBullFrog New Reader
7/14/21 3:12 a.m.

Mine shows I grew up in the Gran Turismo generation. I'd have to keep it all Nissan. Mine would be a R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R, fun summer car. A Nissan Safari Grand Road High Top, over land and tow rig. And a Nissan Stagea 260RS Autech Version, daily fast fun wagon. I have the R32 GT-R and now looking for the Safari. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/14/21 6:18 a.m.

Back in the day I had this dream;

1970 Datsun 240Z

1970 Datsun 510

1970 Datsun Roadster 2000

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
7/14/21 7:56 a.m.

I seem to have achieved GRM nirvana.

Turbo Miata zippy car

GMT 800 tow beast Suburban

AWD wagon DD (the Passat)

Honorable mention:  Challenge/project car  3800SC swapped Fiero 

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
7/14/21 8:23 a.m.

Truck - 3/4 ton, crew cab, short bed, 4wd, gas engine.  Ford, Ram, Chevy, who cares.  This one is a tool that gets used, not loved.

Highway burner - CTS-V wagon sounds perfect

Small car - I've been on an E30 kick lately.  Never owned one, but I think it would fit the bill.

Motorcycles don't count right?  You can hide motorcycles anywhere.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/21 8:35 a.m.

1. K-Swap EG Civic (or any track-rat Civic for that matter) - Yes, a Miata is usually the answer but I am a FWD guy and have had good luck with Hondas. I don't want the fancy stuff, just something I can drive to a TNIA and have fun.

2. BMW M2  - An RS3 would also work, something to be my DD that I can also autocross. Substitute a Fiesta ST if on a budget.

3. Toyota Sienna SE - OK, I know a tow pig is usually in the trinity, but I need to haul kids more than freight and it can tow 3500#, so the Civic on an aluminum trailer will be OK.

So really, I need a track rat to complete the trinity!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/14/21 8:40 a.m.
  • Nobody makes the DD I want, but some are coming close.  Basically give me an electric GTI.  Or a Bolt with more 'sporty' dimensions (wider, lower, more room for wheel & tire).  Alternatively, a Veloster N with 4 BERKING DOORS.
  • Overlander of some sort (TBD)
  • I have little to no desire to own a race car at this point in my life.  Or a 3rd vehicle of any kind.  So I'll say a Santa Cruz Bronson.

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
7/14/21 11:32 a.m.

For me it’s always been:

miata 

p71

tahoe 

Originally, this fit the bill because theoretically I could have all three for <15k with some mild mods. But The prices of all three have risen substantially in the past year or so, so I’m starting to rethink my choices. 

7/14/21 12:07 p.m.

Fun responses. After all, there's no wrong answers. The question is asking for your opinion.  

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/14/21 3:10 p.m.

Insert pic of that Bill the Cat from the comic I cannot remember: ACK!!!

Just three? FML.

Dream pig:

12v cummins swapped J-20

Race:

Probably my Opel if it ever gets done (started)

DD:

Safari 911 or a VW Squareback

Opti
Opti Dork
7/14/21 3:31 p.m.

Camaro SS 1LE (anything that handles well and has a big V8 can go here): Almost daily fun, creature comforts of a modern car, reliable, can go to the drag strip, autocross, or road course. No mods needed for fun, but can be modded for fun.

GMT400: best truck ever built (this is a firm held belief. COME AT ME BRO)

66 Mustangs replacement: Something weird or old or fast to actually work on for fun. None of that I have to get this car done to get to work tomorrow. I had enough of that in college.

SWMBO edition: Something for her to drive. Im pretty sure going forward a requirement will be atleast partially electric. Currently being filled by the Volt.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
7/15/21 10:10 a.m.

I have close to that right now as a trio of useful and fun vehicles.

GMT800 Suburban 2500 w/8.1 liter for truck duties. Tough and reliable.

'20 Bolt for daily driver and longer distance use:

And the turbo convertible fun car, '13 JCW Roadster:

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/15/21 10:19 a.m.

Stock daily driver  2013 FRS

Toy car for shows if they ever come back: The Molvo Miata/Volvo mashup

Project car:  1950 Morris Minor mid engine.

While the candidates have changed in each category over the years, the mix has been constant for about 25 years.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/15/21 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Somehow, I could see you getting deep into chuck wagon racing.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/15/21 4:32 p.m.

Ideally, mine would be the following:

Daily: 2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Widebody

Fun: 1977 Trans Am built with Pro Touring/CAM-T in mind, with a 6.6L LS with a couple big hair dryers hanging off the manifolds

Truck Stuff: 2017 Ram Power Wagon fitted with a modern Cummins

Wifemobile: Some sort of 3 row CUV with all the bells and whistles

In reality, I have this:

Daily: 2020 Kia Forte GT Turbo 6MT

Fun: 1979 Trans Am built with sitting on jack stands in mind with a 414ci PontiMutt swap

Truck Stuff: 1979 Dodge Power Wagon fitted with a very loose 318

Wifemobile: 2018 Mazda CX-5 with most of the bells and whistles

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with the reality.

7/15/21 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Nah, my large animal days are over. I managed to get through that part of my career without any permanent injuries, and that's some crazy E36 M3 right there. 

Notice that the guy driving the horses in the photo I posted is at least wearing a helmet and body armor. No protective gear on those cowboys, and those things crash in about every chuck wagon race I've ever seen. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
7/15/21 5:37 p.m.

So I'm close to being there;

I've got my Outback for exploring and parts hauling.

The Campervan track side headquarters.

The F500 Race car.

I have the little Datsun race car as well; there's a ton of sentimental value there so it would be hard to let go off if I had to go down to three.

Folgers
Folgers New Reader
7/15/21 10:04 p.m.

Right now my stable includes,

Tow pig 2018 ram 3500 4x4,  crew cab, long bed, single rear wheels, 6.4 hemi .

Daily  driver 2005 solara, 2.4 five speed manual transmission.

My precious, 1970 corvette, 350 four speed.

Never ending project 1982 Córdoba, mild 360, built 727, massive  title issues.

My ideal would be,

1993 350 Cummins 4x4 extended cab dually, to pig  

13 GLH Omni’s

big block gtx.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/15/21 10:47 p.m.

I've checked in on this thread for a bit, but I am only able to come up with what I think would -represent- GRM.  Which is:

Miata for sure, probably an early one

Yugo

Probably a BMW, likely an E30.

These aren't the three I want in my garage, but the three I think are what GRM is about, I guess?

My own "top 3" would be different for sure, and not necessarily representative of GRM.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/21 12:35 a.m.

If I had money to make them exactly like I want....

1)  1970 GMC Suburban 4x4 for family and towing duty and offroading (somewhat) (probably a $75k build to get it perfect)

2)  GC Subaru WRX STI for rallycross (heck make it a $100k 22B STI while I'm at it).

3)  A 1970 Trans Am with everything Detroit Speed and TX Speed LS conversion could throw at it... think CAM dominance, Hot Rod Power Tour and One Lap all rolled into one with AC and good manners (so a $100k F car).

Yah that'd be nice.  Now back to reality where I have a Chevy Colorado, 00 Boxster S, a 02 Subaru RS and a 96 Camaro.  Close enough for a budget, I guess.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
amQrHP44OPjmvS7kQkQVdIi8iaipKlC6U9yQtRPRSL3KkJ0b0U9xnJG0858H1nZN