1 2
Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
4/7/14 9:15 p.m.

Maybe, I haven't been paying attention lately but doesn't $5k for a Mazdaspeed6 sound like a good deal?

I checked a few other ads and it wasn't an anomaly, there were multiple cars between 5-7k that looked to be in good shape. Why so cheap? I look at them as a nice alternative to a Legacy Gt or S60R - AWD performance without an outwardly flashy appearance. I jumped on youtube and did see a few breaking rear axles under hard launches, is that a common problem or easily cured? Are there any good speed3 and speed6 forums?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/7/14 9:25 p.m.

Cripes. I remember when you couldn't find one for $20k because so many people wanted to buy them used. Too bad nobody bought them new.

$5k, eh? Well, I HAD been planning to buy a 2.7t/M6 Allroad, but hmm...

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
4/7/14 9:27 p.m.

When people discovered everything in the engine bay was a time bomb?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/7/14 9:39 p.m.

I considered one a few weeks ago when car shopping, they are more like $10k around here.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/7/14 9:52 p.m.
RoughandReady wrote: When people discovered everything in the engine bay was a time bomb?

Since when is the DISI a time bomb? It has a few issues like the EGR setup, but that's easily remedied.

I think the real issue, is even though Mazda built a great version of a non-boy racer quick sedan, no one thinks of Mazda for that type of vehicle.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/7/14 9:53 p.m.
RoughandReady wrote: When people discovered everything in the engine bay was a time bomb?

This is wholly untrue if it's treated properly. My ms3 has taken 80k of asskicking, but I care for it. Runs like a top. They're deceptively strong, the big problem lies in the goobers that don't know how to deal with DI.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/7/14 9:55 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
This is wholly untrue if it's treated properly. My ms3 has taken 80k of asskicking, but I care for it. Runs like a top. They're deceptively strong, the big problem lies in the goobers that don't know how to deal with DI.

Wait, you mean to say I can't just crank up the boost on a turbo car, fail to put a good tune on it and expect to maintain OEM reliability?!?!?!?

Obviously the engine is crap.

whenry
whenry HalfDork
4/8/14 7:56 a.m.

Probably the car is out of warranty for whatever reason and not eligible for the timing chain update that Mazda provided. No different than a BMW that needs the big service. We had to rebuild the EGR several times until I explained to my ex the importance of doing "Italian tune-up" on periodic basis. Good gas, good maintenance and the car runs like a trooper. Even handled this winter's snows on summer tires. YMMV

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/14 8:11 a.m.

The problem is that the did not build a wagon version of the MS6. It would have been the best thing ever, and I still hold a grudge.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Online Editor
4/8/14 8:46 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

I thought they did, but it was not sent to the US market?

Anyway, considering how well the sedan version sold, I think it was a smart move on their part to not bring the wagon over.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/14 8:51 a.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: In reply to pinchvalve: I thought they did, but it was not sent to the US market?

They sold a "Mazda6 SportWagon" in the US, but manuals were hard to find and not even offered for some years:

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
4/8/14 9:17 a.m.

I would jump on a Mazdaspeed 6 for 5K if it is in good running condition. Even though they're somewhat rare, I don't think that anyone wants them, hence the low price. No one wants the regular 6 either, which is unfortunate.

To pinchvalve: I would get a Mazda 6 wagon and put a big rear sway bar on it and a turbocharger. It wouldn't be AWD, but a FWD car that can rotate the rear end is fun.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
4/8/14 9:23 a.m.

I was going to buy a new one in '06? but I bought a house instead. My house is worth more now... not so much for the MS6

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/8/14 12:06 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Alan Cesar wrote: In reply to pinchvalve: I thought they did, but it was not sent to the US market?
They sold a "Mazda6 SportWagon" in the US, but manuals were hard to find and not even offered for some years:

They did not, however, put a turbo in the wagon that we got here. I don't know if they did in other countries.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/8/14 12:21 p.m.
RossD wrote: I was going to buy a new one in '06? but I bought a house instead. My house is worth more now... not so much for the MS6

I bought the Ion Redline as a second choice after Mazda of Schambourg kept selling the DCM MS6's before I could get up there. 14-17k in 2008 with sub-30k miles all day. I'll own one someday.

wrongwheeldrive
wrongwheeldrive Reader
4/8/14 2:57 p.m.

My friend bought a used speed6 for that kind of money and it promptly threw a rod within the first couple thousand miles.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/8/14 3:04 p.m.
wrongwheeldrive wrote: My friend bought a used speed6 for that kind of money and it promptly threw a rod within the first couple thousand miles.

How? I don't think I have ever heard of one of these engines "throwing a rod".

I guess, statistically, it probably has happened at some point.

wrongwheeldrive
wrongwheeldrive Reader
4/8/14 3:33 p.m.

I never saw pictures of the carnage, but I remember her linking me to this

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f10/real-reason-people-breaking-rods-33010/

Car was out of warranty, but she had put less than 1k on it since she bought it. The dealership ended up paying for a new crate motor.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/9/14 8:26 a.m.

That was an interesting read. It seems those people that popped motors were making more power than a stock engine.

I think stock, these engines are fairly bulletproof.

Rob R.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/9/14 8:29 a.m.

From what i understand, the problem is the rod acceleration that happens with tiny turbos pushing big boost.

People have done over 500whp reliably with an appropriately sized turbo, turns out it's less stressful on the engine.

wrongwheeldrive
wrongwheeldrive Reader
4/9/14 10:08 a.m.

Hers was stock, FWIW. It let go on her leaving a stoplight at pretty low RPM's(so she claims)

I'm inclined to agree with swank that a larger turbo would probably be easier on the motor.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
4/9/14 12:43 p.m.

Yeah my friends family has had one of these and a STI. They agree the MS6 is a grown up evo/sti. I've heard issues with rear diff mounts being weak, bad turbos but there weere recall or updates for that issue and most have had that. They are KO3 or KO4 turbos IIRC.

I think they are fine just the way they are however I am always tempted to see how different the underneath is on the rear end because getting a donor MS6 and place it under my m6 wagon would be ultimate daily.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
4/9/14 1:43 p.m.

I'm betting a lot that own them are more grown up than WRX or MS3 owners. I'm betting many MS6 owners don't do their own maintenance. If my sister's car (anecdotal, I know) was any indication, maintenance on those things can get pretty nuts - moreso than the casual car guy cares to deal with. So they unload them cheap and move onto a different car.

I'm no Subaru fan, but I'd probably lean toward a WRX over the MS6. $5K makes them tempting though.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
4/12/14 4:00 p.m.

I may be a little late to the topic, but I like these cars too. I'm surprised how cheap they are. Here is one that is back home in NJ. I wish I could check it out, but I'm still out in STL for school.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4408752669.html

lnlogauge
lnlogauge New Reader
4/12/14 4:28 p.m.

id be more impressed if you bought one of these for 6k. I spent awhile looking for a decent mazda6, and the ones that are usually really cheap, have a reason for being really cheap. title issues, runs on 3 cylinders, giant hole in the block, common things sellers leave out.

I don't think you're going to find one without issues for 6k.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SRcKe9Bmm63pFv5A1yb24kQxxBEZq6CiE5yyoTlSrEbxLhFqNpKZB2DFKDhnjcdx