1 ... 9 10 11 12
JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/8/13 4:24 a.m.
JacktheRiffer wrote: Gotta say i love cars like this but only from an art perspective. Especially the beetle based ones.

That's the entire point.....car bodies are the medium, and this is a form of sculpture. I like this stuff.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
11/8/13 5:52 a.m.
AverageH wrote: I'm surprised that I haven't seen this one yet on this thread. Maybe not rat, but crazy! -Hamid

Perfect for a cross country road trip! Other than that I love it!

failuer
failuer New Reader
11/8/13 7:22 a.m.
AverageH wrote: I'm surprised that I haven't seen this one yet on this thread. Maybe not rat, but crazy! -Hamid

...how does it work?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/8/13 7:25 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
JacktheRiffer wrote: Gotta say i love cars like this but only from an art perspective. Especially the beetle based ones.
That's the entire point.....car bodies are the medium, and this is a form of sculpture. I like this stuff.

+1. I enjoy them as semi-functional forms of art. I have always enjoyed lowbrow art and to me rat rods fall perfectly in that.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
11/8/13 11:33 a.m.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
11/8/13 11:36 a.m.

It's called the Woodruff Special, and there are a few videos on youtube as well. Crazy little thing... Not the dude.

-Hamid

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/8/13 11:53 a.m.
kanaric wrote:
Gasoline wrote:
lol thats not a rat rod I would say. You see a lot of cars like this in Japan though not as worn down. I forget what this culture is called, it's got a name, but they ALWAYS have an external oil cooler like that and it's always older cars like this RX7.

This particular culture applying to this RX7 is called "Poser."

What you're talking about is Bippu.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/8/13 12:26 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
kanaric wrote:
Gasoline wrote:
lol thats not a rat rod I would say. You see a lot of cars like this in Japan though not as worn down. I forget what this culture is called, it's got a name, but they ALWAYS have an external oil cooler like that and it's always older cars like this RX7.
This particular culture applying to this RX7 is called "Poser." What you're talking about is Bippu.

Actually, it's Shakotan. Think Victory pipes, super wide wheels, ZG flares and the like. Bippu is the Toyota Crowns with 30* of negative camber.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
11/8/13 1:06 p.m.

That RX7 was built by a guy name Corbin something. Google it, the article and/or the video is titled "ZERO F**** GIVEN".

Sorry if this is obvious. I know its been discussed here before.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
11/8/13 2:42 p.m.
AverageH wrote:

OK, that's cool as hell. I don't see how it's a rat rod, just a hot rod or custom to me. Put an inch back in the windows add a couple of inches ground clearance and autocross the hell out of it for E36 M3s a giggles.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
11/8/13 3:06 p.m.

Funny, not until this thread did I ever consider my VW Beetle truck a Rat Rod, but maybe I'm wrong . . .

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
11/8/13 3:43 p.m.

In reply to TeamEvil:

Red steel wheels with white walls and YES!

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
11/8/13 3:49 p.m.
914Driver wrote:

I know it is PhotoChopped, but that is cool as hell.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
11/8/13 3:59 p.m.

I can't take the ones that look like some amateur scavenger hunt. Last local car show Rat Rod guy drove 60 miles to attend. He and his passenger arrived sitting on white porcelain toilets proudly installed in the Rat Rod.

Now 10 minutes or 10 pages of GRM and my legs fall asleep. The only thing I wondered after looking at is; How sh&*y 60 miles must have truly been.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/8/13 4:05 p.m.

In reply to Gasoline:

Depends, were the toilets functional? If so it could have been very E36 M3ty

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
11/8/13 6:14 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
kanaric wrote:
Gasoline wrote:
This particular culture applying to this RX7 is called "Poser." What you're talking about is Bippu.
Actually, it's Shakotan. Think Victory pipes, super wide wheels, ZG flares and the like. Bippu is the Toyota Crowns with 30* of negative camber.

Yeah, bippu is VIP. Japanese people try to pronounce "VIP" as "vipp" and end up saying "bippu". At least that's what I've heard.

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
6/22/17 1:09 p.m.

We need to bring this back!

Been watching B is for Build on youtube, they did a G35 into a modern mad max/rat rod. Buy a copart car then make it look as crazy as you want to and daily it? Might be a future build.

I wouldn't feel bad taking a 2005 mustang with 150k that's been wrecked and chopping it up!

84FSP
84FSP Dork
6/22/17 6:08 p.m.
kreb wrote:
Gasoline wrote:
That car goes too far if you consider a mountain's worth of awesomeness as "too far". Also, it's got nothing to do with rat rods.

This is indeed full of winning.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
6/22/17 6:26 p.m.
oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
6/22/17 6:57 p.m.

gone too far when the patina is painted on

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
6/23/17 9:22 a.m.

This one is for sale near me,It would look fun to have as a car hauler but im sure its not to fun drive...

The good news is im seeing less cars pop up when I search rat rod in CL, I think the rat rod craze is going out. Used to be that anything old and rusty and crapy was a rat rod and made it worth TONS of cash!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
6/23/17 9:35 a.m.

Has this one made it into this thread yet?

Definitely TOO Far!

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
6/23/17 9:47 a.m.

Those are motorcycle tires up front?

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/23/17 10:00 a.m.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/23/17 12:00 p.m.

Even though I'm building literally the same year, model, and engine, this rat bothers me.

1 ... 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gdra5xHchrg25QWeVwXe93yGV5AgbNdZ5FgapLeBx30gTgDASuoRM6UsFLoxeQic