1 2 3 4
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/21/10 9:49 a.m.

I know they were expensive and did not sell in record numbers, but I have not seen a (last gen) Toyota Supra on the road in a long time. Are they all locked away in collector garages or did they all move out to Cali for the dragstrip? 1993 wasn't THAT long ago? And when is the last time you saw a stock Supra with no TFATF treatment?

mndsm
mndsm Dork
10/21/10 9:51 a.m.

The ones that were clean got mothballed, and the ones that got sold got cut up and made into dyno queens. An unmolested MKIV in the wild is like seeing Lindsey Lohan when she's NOT on blow. Almost unpossible.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/21/10 9:52 a.m.

I see a few around here with just minor bolt ons in the summer.

MKiiis are more common, though.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/21/10 10:00 a.m.

I saw one yesterday. I dont rember when i saw one before that.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
10/21/10 10:02 a.m.

I blame Nick.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
10/21/10 10:31 a.m.

I saw a stock-appearing one in the parking lot of a Mexican restaurant what, like 3 years ago? Very rarely see any FD RX-7's either.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
10/21/10 10:35 a.m.

Like has been said, I think many have been claimed by douchbaggery or stay garaged most of the time.

I hadn't seen one in years, when low-and-behold my neighbor pulls a clean black spoilerless twin-turbo out of storage. Unfortunately, it was also an automatic, but I can't say I would've kicked it out of bed. We went on a few fun runs around a local twisty road through the woods and had a blast. I was kinda surprised at how well it handled it's weight, especially with the original suspension.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
10/21/10 10:45 a.m.

There's a fairly clean, stock-appearing white N/A Mk IV that lives around here somewhere that I see on a regular basis, but other than that, they're like hen's teeth.

Meanwhile, I can't spit and not hit a Mk III. Those things are EVERYWHERE, and if you're willing to do a headgasket, can be picked up for a song.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
10/21/10 10:52 a.m.

One of my co-workers has a BONE STOCK 1995 Turbo. It is as it rolled off the assembly line down to the wiper blades. Less than 40,000 miles, and perfect.

The only modification he has done is a set of wheels, and he has taken the stock wheels and shoved them in a closet where they will remain perfect.

I will get some pictures.

PeteWW
PeteWW New Reader
10/21/10 11:09 a.m.

Across the street neighbor of my in-laws died last month. In his garage under a car cover was a mint red Supra. The only thing wrong with it was that it was an automatic. I urged him to buy it, as an investment if not for fun. I love him, but he can be too practical sometimes - content with a Camry and Prius.

I don't know what became of the dead guy's Supra, but I got a mower from the estate sale.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
10/21/10 11:15 a.m.

They aren't plentiful, but in the last month, a look on CL for Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, and Jacksonville, Fl. turned up 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen. Supras. The ones that get no mods are always automatics. The 2nd gen. in my fav but finding one that isn't a bit rusty around the edges won't be easy.

Just as difficult to find are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen. Celicas.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Reader
10/21/10 11:19 a.m.
PeteWW wrote: I don't know what became of the dead guy's Supra, but I got a mower from the estate sale.

Quote must be published...

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/21/10 11:32 a.m.

Funny timing. Stopped at the driving range on Monday night to hit some golf balls. Not one but two Supras in the lot, not appearing to be together. Made me realize I hadn't seen one in forever.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/21/10 11:32 a.m.

I'd rock an Automatic Turbo MKiv.

And then build a dyno queen/drag/standing mile car.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/21/10 11:44 a.m.

All the owners are in retirement homes and the cars are in storage. Expect them to start popping up as barn finds in another 40 years.

With one exception, I've never seen a Supra owner who didn't look to be of retirement age or older.

coll9947
coll9947 New Reader
10/21/10 11:51 a.m.

I think I've seen exactly 2 unmolested turbo models in Boise -ever-, the rest are non-turbos with eBay body kits. There's a few gorgeous FDs running around, and LOTS of E46 M3s, from mild to wild. We do have a nice array of NSXs, vintage Ferraris, Z-car nuts, and Ken Block wannabes in STi's. Herrafrush has yet to really catch on, maybe one 350z that I've seen. Oh and JDM Type R conversions on Integras are still pretty popular, and I don't mind seeing them one bit.

hotg54b
hotg54b New Reader
10/21/10 12:03 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: I saw a stock-appearing one in the parking lot of a Mexican restaurant what, like 3 years ago? Very rarely see any FD RX-7's either.

I see one FD everyday...............in my garage.

Yeah, as the years go by, I see less and less MKIV Supra's, FD's, NSX's running around which is expected for older cars. I probably see more NSX running then among all 3, but they are also the most reliable.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese HalfDork
10/21/10 12:40 p.m.

There's a pretty clean, daily driven non-turbo here in town. Not only is it daily driven, but it's parked on the street.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
10/21/10 1:19 p.m.

Here in Victoria, FDs are more common, can usually spot one at some point during the week in the summer. But MKIVs are pretty rare now. I think most of them are in Vancouver.

Against the grain of what Integraguy said, 1st gen Celicas are almost entirely gone here. You stand more chance to see a Nash or a functioning Corvair here than a 1st gen Celica. There is 1 that I have seen recently, and that was in the parking lot of a garage, other than the 1 under a tarp in my yard, and 1 parts car in someone else's driveway (it's been there for like 10 years....)

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
10/21/10 1:38 p.m.

These where very rare in Canada even when new. See a couple these days though thanks to imports from Japan. They are usually quite modified style wise though - almost always not for the better.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/21/10 1:45 p.m.

Speaking of FD's, man, they are still gorgeous cars. This car is stunning.

Back to the Supra discussion...

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
10/21/10 1:47 p.m.

I see one mostly stock looking non turbo supra fairly often, other than that i dont really see them either.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
10/21/10 1:51 p.m.

Attrition. Simple attrition.

It works for Supras.

It works for FDs.

It works for Gremlins.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette HalfDork
10/21/10 2:06 p.m.

no help here

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
10/21/10 2:20 p.m.

Being in the rust belt, old Japanese is rare, RWD cars are rare, combine the 2 and you get unobtainium.

Locally, I know there is one guy who has 2 mid-'80s Superas. One seems to get driven and the other sits off to the side.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OD0FO0lVRPYLI1t7YCPlfN5bg3wlXwmAwvk2153FRCxfOMyOK1034l5dF8T4WqEg