1 2 3 4
Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/13/10 7:21 p.m.

I think I found them. I went to the SpeedForSale.Com openhouse. They just moved to a new building and had a bbq, raffle, car show, and open house. They specialize in Supra, GTR, Viper and LS1, but they will work on pretty much anything now that they have plenty of room.

anyway, it was the most supras I had seen in the same place in quite a while. (crappy cell phone pics).

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/13/10 8:14 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: I saw a stock-appearing one in the parking lot of a Mexican restaurant what, like 3 years ago? Very rarely see any FD RX-7's either.

HEHE funny story on that one, I came out from work the other day to find a Bright red FD parked next to my red Miata, with some older guy looking at my Miata. So I casually walked up, and started checking out his FD. Then I calmly stated, "nice car, wanna trade?" With a big @#$@# eating grin. Proceeded to swap a few stories, and poke around under each others hoods, and suspensions. After that I had to HAUL @#$ to get to class, still ended up being 10 minutes late. ooh well Gorgeous car, I really do miss mine.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/13/10 8:24 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: no help here

I love that generation Supra, wouldn't turn my nose to a Mk4 but Dayum I like the lines of that car.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/13/10 8:37 p.m.

MY EYES!!!!

CL ad

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
11/14/10 2:06 a.m.

That's one hell of a modified Del Sol.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/14/10 3:42 a.m.

I beging to wonder how much stock supra bumpers will be worth in a few years once all those nasty F&F bumpers have finally fallen out of favour and owners want to restore them back to stock.

Now may be time to buy a supra and squirrel it away in the barn for a decade or two

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
11/14/10 7:59 a.m.

the supras advantage is that they have no predecessor. I bet that if you really counted, a very high number of the original production is still around. I think Z32's value suffers from the fact you can go buy a newer better Z. When the value gets too low more of them become neglected and die off.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
11/14/10 1:56 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: the supras advantage is that they have no predecessor.

Not to be "that guy", but I think you meant successor. Good point though, if fans of big-ass turbo'ed rwd Japanese coupe's had a (stock) alternative they might not be quite so cherished. Ah, the early nineties - a time of unchecked technological and performance one-upmanship amongst the Japanese. Too bad the dollar was so weak against the yen that nobody who wanted one could buy them by the middle of the decade.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
11/14/10 1:58 p.m.
Platinum90 wrote: I think I found them. I went to the SpeedForSale.Com openhouse. They just moved to a new building and had a bbq, raffle, car show, and open house. They specialize in Supra, GTR, Viper and LS1, but they will work on pretty much anything now that they have plenty of room.

I'll take the one in ticket-me-red, thankyaverymuch.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
11/14/10 2:11 p.m.

yeah right, successor. serves me right to make a point before 8 am on a sunday.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/14/10 6:48 p.m.
Matt B wrote:
Platinum90 wrote: I think I found them. I went to the SpeedForSale.Com openhouse. They just moved to a new building and had a bbq, raffle, car show, and open house. They specialize in Supra, GTR, Viper and LS1, but they will work on pretty much anything now that they have plenty of room.
I'll take the one in ticket-me-red, thankyaverymuch.

YES. That was one of my favorites at the meet. Though there was a Lexus SC400 that looked Smexy, and an R35 GT-R with carbon everywhere and an Alcon big brake kit appealed to me as well.

smog7
smog7 Dork
11/14/10 8:33 p.m.

spotted a yellow fd cruising downtown (if you can call it downtown..) the other day, looked nice.

hardly ever see an supras, of any gen.

misterturbo
misterturbo New Reader
11/15/10 7:21 a.m.

Neighbor has one :) Red, full cage, sitting on r-comps with a single turbo conversion. It moves from his trailer to his driveway to his trailer. I walk the dog past it every day. I asked him 2 years ago why he never drives it... 2 young kids is why.

If i had the $ laying around i would make an offer..

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/15/10 7:36 a.m.
misterturbo wrote: Neighbor has one :) Red, full cage, sitting on r-comps with a single turbo conversion. It moves from his trailer to his driveway to his trailer. I walk the dog past it every day. I asked him 2 years ago why he never drives it... 2 young kids is why. If i had the $ laying around i would make an offer..

Kids love Grip and Boost more than anyone else out there. As a matter of fact, when you are driving one, it makes you feel as though you ARE a kid.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
11/15/10 1:59 p.m.

So . . . out of pure fantasy, what were they asking for said Supras at the open house?

The poster formally known as 96DXCivic
The poster formally known as 96DXCivic SuperDork
11/15/10 3:08 p.m.

I have never really understood the love of MkIV Supras. I mean they are big, heavy and ugly. Plus they are expensive. I will take an orginal Viper or a 911 or... I could go for a while.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/15/10 3:48 p.m.
The poster formally known as 96DXCivic wrote: I have never really understood the love of MkIV Supras. I mean they are big, heavy and ugly. Plus they are expensive. I will take an orginal Viper or a 911 or... I could go for a while.

...... big?

They are literally the size of my Celica, and likely smaller than my MX6. They are not large cars at all. They do look huge in pictures, though.

You stand next to one in real life and you have to wonder what kind of nutjob would put 1000+rwhp through one because it's so small.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
11/15/10 4:20 p.m.
The poster formally known as 96DXCivic wrote: I have never really understood the love of MkIV Supras. I mean they are big, heavy and ugly. Plus they are expensive. I will take an orginal Viper or a 911 or... I could go for a while.

I wouldn't imagine you would ever like them. They're Japanese

Pumpkin Escobar
Pumpkin Escobar SuperDork
11/15/10 4:24 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: You stand next to one in real life and you have to wonder what kind of nutjob would put 1000+rwhp through one because it's so small.

THIS^

x15643123

They are fairly small. Compared to other sports cars, yes, they are a tick heavier than a Porsche or a Miata, but they are no bigger than an E36 m3 or Z32. Id take a Mk3 over a 4 personally, but neither would get kicked outta bed. For whatever reason though, a super clean, White on bronze wheels with a subtle lip/skirt/rear valence treatment (nothing irreversible) IS300 with an aggressive stance and some responsible tuning > Supra IMHO. Maybe its the utility of a sedan or perhaps I want to be a fanboi and swap the Lexus badge for the Toyota T and confuse people. Dunno...its just always been near the top of my list.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
11/15/10 4:25 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: They are literally the size of my Celica, and likely smaller than my MX6. They are not large cars at all. They do look huge in pictures, though.

Well, they aren't very long, but they sure are thick. Not exactly lightweight either. That said, they wear it well. I'll take low weight over big power almost any day, but I was surprised by how well the turbo behaved (at least the one sampling I've had). It was basically stock too.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/15/10 4:53 p.m.
Matt B wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote: They are literally the size of my Celica, and likely smaller than my MX6. They are not large cars at all. They do look huge in pictures, though.
Well, they aren't very long, but they sure are thick. Not exactly lightweight either. That said, they wear it well. I'll take low weight over big power almost any day, but I was surprised by how well the turbo behaved (at least the one sampling I've had). It was basically stock too.

Yeah, they've got a nice fat ass, which i so dearly love on cars. And no, they aren't light, but overall, they are WAY smaller than pictures would have you think.

They are one of the few cars that i will forgive a little portliness in.

The poster formally known as 96DXCivic
The poster formally known as 96DXCivic SuperDork
11/15/10 5:36 p.m.

I meant heavy when I said big.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/15/10 5:54 p.m.
Matt B wrote: So . . . out of pure fantasy, what were they asking for said Supras at the open house?

None of the ones pictured were necessarily for sale. These were all enthusiasts vehicles. Most of them had been built, or at least worked on by the shop. They do sell some cars on consignment.

If you want an indicator of pricing, check out their previously sold cars. http://www.speedforsale.com/index.php?specificmakemodel=Toyota%20Supra%20Twin%20Turbo&pid=1107

Rufledt
Rufledt Reader
11/15/10 6:08 p.m.

My mom has a mint MKIII turbo all original (apart from battery and tires) and about 18k miles, and it pains her to see such a lack of supras that aren't all torn apart/beat up. Sometimes i wish it was an MKIV, but only sometimes. What pains me is that if i didn't show up every now and then and take it out and drive it around, it would only see 200 miles a year.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
11/15/10 6:16 p.m.
The poster formally known as 96DXCivic wrote: I meant heavy when I said big.

I don't believe a Viper is necessarily "light".

1 2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners
rjQlYVABTzHOVtGuhjxGRpUoaLxnNKaD1RonS4yBe5PmAVfEEcX0PJjtB9p5k0DL