1 2
NVHEngr
NVHEngr New Reader
10/15/09 11:55 a.m.

I need some help choosing which car to buy.

Here are the basic criteria:

-Under $12000

-Reliable - I drive 100 miles a day

-Good gas mileage

-"Fun" to drive

-Under 60k miles

-FWD

I have looked a regular MINI, a focus SVT, and a Mazda 3 (not much fun to drive).

What other cars fit this bill? I know that I'm overlooking a ton of cars.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
10/15/09 11:59 a.m.

Suzuki SX4? Used Spectra5? Used Accent SE?

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
10/15/09 11:59 a.m.
NVHEngr wrote: What other cars Fit this bill? I know that I'm overlooking a ton of cars.

There you go.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker Dork
10/15/09 12:07 p.m.

Why FWD only?

There are Subarus that come to mind as well as the BMW E46 325i & xi... Audi A3/4, Volvos, Acuras & VWs out the wazoo and pretty much anything else you can name that isn't a flagship can be had for that money.

NVHEngr
NVHEngr New Reader
10/15/09 12:10 p.m.

Ok, I just mean that I don't want anything that is RWD. I have a Mustang and driving in the snow is no fun in that thing, lol.

V8er
V8er New Reader
10/15/09 12:28 p.m.

I have never driven one but looking at your criteria the Mitsubishi Lanser is something I would check out.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/09 12:42 p.m.

I strongly recommend the Chevrolet Cobalt SS. Kind of like knocking around with the cute chubby girl, It may be a little embarrassing to think of but once you hop in and drop the hammer you will love it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
10/15/09 12:47 p.m.
V8er wrote: I have never driven one but looking at your criteria the Mitsubishi Lanser is something I would check out.

speaking of hopping onto the ugly chubby girl....

NVHEngr
NVHEngr New Reader
10/15/09 1:23 p.m.

The Lancer is just what I sold. It was a good little car for me, but it was very boring and the trans was starting to go.

The Cobalt SS is a good idea. I think I might look into that.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
10/15/09 2:07 p.m.

I know that the perceived answer on this web site is Miata.... but in this case I would say HONDA

Josh
Josh HalfDork
10/15/09 2:11 p.m.

Open up the price or mileage requirements just slightly and go for a Mini Cooper S. I'd bet the improved resale makes it cheaper to own over time than the non-S anyway.

rustynuts
rustynuts New Reader
10/15/09 5:07 p.m.

+1 on the cooper s

1966stang
1966stang New Reader
10/15/09 5:16 p.m.

Cobalt SS FTW...Seriously...Or MINI Cooper S...

You also might think about the 2002-2005 Civic SI. Cheap, fun to drive, etc...

Chris

mtn
mtn SuperDork
10/15/09 5:27 p.m.

Snow tires? C'mon, unless you're in the mountains RWD in the snow isn't that bad

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing New Reader
10/15/09 5:37 p.m.

First off to answer your question 01-04 neon R/T http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=44640 ^ one of the cleanest ones Ive seen in a while and a great owner

If you are intent on spending your maximum there are a few good 04-05 SRT-4s for that money just be a little more careful when looking for one.

Dealers are also all but giving Caliber SRTs away you cant get one for 12k unless you find used.

I still dont get the appeal of minis Im sorry but they are so far overpriced its insane. I dont imagine it being much fun to work on. The clutch and shifter on every single one Ive driven(I was looking at them a while ago Ive driven 8 different ones including a non-S) was for lack of a better term stupid. The center speedo, window switches, and, the hood latch being on distinctly the wrong side all bothers me its done for no other reason than to cut production costs and they are/were the most expensive small car I can think of. They are a hoot to drive though.

Vigo
Vigo New Reader
10/15/09 6:10 p.m.

Id say if you want fun fwd for $12k buy a nice (hard to find) srt-4.

BUT, thats not what i would do by a long shot. For $12k you can get damn near anything, seriously. If you care about driving in rain and snow, buy an awd!

Buy a turbo 5spd subaru baja. If you're lucky you can occasionally find them for 12k, they're pretty quick, awd, ground clearance, a truck bed, and the sti aftermarket. They're omni-awesome.

but if you want fuel efficiency and fwd id buy a late 90s civic vx hatch for 3-6 or an early 00s insight for 6-10... but not much fun there.

neon r/t is a safe bet, they're fun, cheap, and get great mileage.

I dont know how you didnt have fun in a mazda 3, honestly..

Vigo
Vigo New Reader
10/15/09 6:15 p.m.

VR-4 Spyder

Or see if you can get this for ~12k.. it should hold value or go up instead of down and ive never heard anyone say a bolt-on vr-4 didnt go 12s (=fun?)

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
10/15/09 6:54 p.m.

sorry by the code of the orange cone, this car must be suggested in every thead:

Miata

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
10/15/09 6:56 p.m.

More in line with your original question how about a CRX si or civic si

pres589
pres589 Reader
10/15/09 7:57 p.m.
Vigo wrote: VR-4 Spyder Or see if you can get this for ~12k.. it should hold value or go up instead of down and ive never heard anyone say a bolt-on vr-4 didnt go 12s (=fun?)

The guy says he wants something that gets good mileage and is reliable, and you come back with this? Really?

Me personally I'm starting to lean towards a ~2000 or so Civic hatchback in the best condition I can find should my Oldsmobile need replacement.

Vigo
Vigo New Reader
10/15/09 8:22 p.m.
The guy says he wants something that gets good mileage and is reliable, and you come back with this? Really?

Well if he only wanted fwd, good mileage, and reliable, 10 of that 12k is basically being tossed to the wind.. if you're gonna spend the whole 12k, might as well get something thats not gonna depreciate no comment on the baja so you must hold those in a little higher esteem..

I mean, honestly, you could buy a reliable fwd good mileage AND a vr-4 EASILY.

Im selling an 04 mazda3 auto thats been dead reliable and gets 35-42 mpg on the highway.. for 5k. You could build 3-4 of my challenge car (only 250 hp and 30 mpg tho..) with the leftovers.

So buy my mazda.. ill deliver for the price of gas. If i sell it i can afford a baja..

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
10/15/09 11:18 p.m.

Miata is the answer!

Ok not really.....but someone had to say it.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/15/09 11:24 p.m.

Miata in reverse is FWD

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/09 11:38 p.m.

And rear wheel steer!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/16/09 10:10 a.m.

+2 on the Cobalt SS. Try the Saturn Ion Redline as well. Same powertrain with easier back seat access. (If that is a factor for you)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7QiOMKYDtKiemNXlI1g0AYKG1YNi4QW4w8dkPpwdmTrjHKmoTfyXXj8SxNbQWfy0