8/26/12 7:58 p.m.

A little off topic, but you see Super Hawks like this relatively cheaply:

Yet they'd look so much better with a Commander type hood:

Has anyone done such a thing?

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
8/26/12 10:59 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote:
thunderzy wrote: '55 desoto!?!!!! No way that's in the price range!! It's pure sex!! If I can get one and it fits I'll get one!
Another one: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3157334775.html

Wow!! That thing just went to the top of the list.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/26/12 11:41 p.m.

Any of the GM A or B bodies will easily fit the bill. I personally have a 66 Bonneville and a 67 LeMans. I also had a 62 Caddy SDV that was amazing and they're a bit of a bastard child (which means they're cheaper) They aren't high on the swappability list since the 390 came with an oddball oil pan and tranny bolt pattern, but its not impossible to drop in a 500.

Here are some of mine:

66 Bonny, currently done with soda blasting and body work, awaiting a Duramax/Allison swap. 10.5" full floater rear and front spindles/brakes to match:

62 Caddy SDV, shaved door handles, flat black, over 500k miles:

I'll throw these in as well.... This is my 73 Impala S/W. Room for about 132 people, 454, and 9 mpg. I added Camaro remote mirrors, truck ralleyes, and some other goodies.

1973 AMC Hornet Sportabout wagon. Mine came with the little 6-cylinder, but V8/manual versions are available.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
8/27/12 6:23 a.m.

Corvairs will seat 4 adults..I fit 4 in my convertible sometimes. There were also 4 door versions, even wagons! Probability of finding one with a manual is higher than most domestics of that time.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/27/12 9:51 a.m.

+1 Corvairs

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
8/27/12 6:35 p.m.
Argo1 wrote: +1 Corvairs

really? where can I learn more about corvairs? with the cheap buy in for a vair I can do some major mods and still come in for less than half my budget.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
8/27/12 8:50 p.m.

Fun fact: Corvair is the only car that came in hardtop coupe, convertible, sedan, wagon, van, pickup, and RV guises.

1968 Ultra Van Corvair Motorhome

There's actually an UltraVan for sale right down the street from me. Pretty cool RV.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/27/12 9:12 p.m.
thunderzy wrote: really? where can I learn more about corvairs? with the cheap buy in for a vair I can do some major mods and still come in for less than half my budget.

There are a number of us on the boards who know a bit about Corvairs. As always, rust is the killer. Need to find a good rust free base to work from. Everything else you need is available from Clark's Corvairs and others. They are reliable, fun to drive, and easy to work on. I used to work on them a lot. I could still probably swap and engine and tranny in one in an hour. Simple like a VW bug.

Best early cars are the Spyders with bonus points for a '64. Best late cars are the Corsa versions. The 4 carb 140's are actually better drivers than the 180 turbos. The '66 cars have a better tranny than the '65s but both are OK. Here's an example of a good starting point car: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/3216476941.html though the 4bbl carb conversion is troublsome. Or spend a bit more for a ready to go version like this:
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/3226422627.html

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/28/12 6:01 a.m.

Early to mid 60's comet?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
8/28/12 6:34 a.m.

On Corvairs: Also, watch out for the front fenders. They rust, and they don't simply bolt on like most other cars. They're an integral, welded part of the car. So rust repair means exactly that- repair. not replacing the fenders.

Best earlies (1960-1964) from a handling stand point are '64's. The late cars (65-69) all have full IRS and should be better. But the looks will make your decision, depending on which body style you prefer.

Late cars seem to have a bit better parts support, and the wheel bolt pattern is standard Chevy 5 on 4.75, so wheel and brake upgrades are easier. Early model bolt pattern is 4 on 4-1/2, which can be tougher to deal with.

One of these days I want to swap a late suspension under an early body.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/28/12 8:45 a.m.

Those Hornet wagons have aged really well . . .

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
8/28/12 5:33 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Early to mid 60's comet?

whoa! learn me!!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VU7hlQNVxJQFy2w1hKx4Ap9dIH3jtKJ7BQ6KAIGPfVruWBHeb4oBtARYSvQabJNo