1 2 3 ... 28
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
5/26/22 9:45 a.m.

Update: Thread title has been changed to reflect my decision, and my posts on actually buying a Maverick start here.

Original post below:
I love my Honda Element, but I don't love its mediocre fuel mileage or the fact that it's pretty slow (roughly 9.5 second 0-60). Sadly, a turbo or a J swap won't fix the fuel economy. My driving is almost 100% city. 

So I'm looking at Ford Mavericks. I know they're selling for crazy money right now, but I'm patient, willing to do a fly and drive, and have some friends in the industry. Pair those up and I'm not that worried about finding a Maverick for MSRP.

That begs the question: Should I pick the Hybrid or the 2.0 liter turbo? 

Hybrid:

• 42 mpg!
  • 7.6 second 0-60
  • Slightly cheaper

Turbo:

• 23 mpg
  • Way better rear suspension design
  • 5.9 second 0-60
  • About $2,000 more expensive

Which would you pick?

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/26/22 9:52 a.m.

42 mpg is significant.  You're not buying a truck for performance.

I don't see this as an option, which is, to be realistic, the best choice:

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/26/22 9:54 a.m.

I second the hybrid, but that's mostly because it's what I'd go for if I had to replace my current DD.

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
5/26/22 9:59 a.m.

While it's always tempting to go with the faster one, with everything else you have access to I'd probably just go for the hybrid.  For me 23mpg is the realm of things much faster, older, or capable of towing.  That said, I'd have to actually drive one first to make sure there wasn't something about the power delivery that wouldn't drive me crazy.  

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/26/22 10:02 a.m.

One would fix both your issues with the element, economy and speed, the other only one. The answer is simple in my view.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
5/26/22 10:02 a.m.

The hybrid will be quicker than the Element, gets great mileage, and is cheaper than the turbo. I don't see a choice here, get the hybrid. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/22 10:03 a.m.

I'm much more interested in the hybrid. The price point makes it an attractive alternative to lower priced new sedans, and hybrids in general are more intriguing than small ICEs these days. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/26/22 10:09 a.m.

If I could get a hybrid that could tow 3500 lb, I would totally get it.

(and clarification, I mean Escape or Maveric size, not full sized truck.)

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/26/22 10:16 a.m.

42mpg in a truck-ish object is much more impressive than a 5.9 second 0-60. I would have trouble buying the hybrid since the turbo is out there, but it seems like the performance is quite acceptable given the efficiency tradeoff.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/22 10:19 a.m.

I would want the AWD, the FX4 package, and the 4K tow package, so turbo for me. 

Velocity Blue please. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
5/26/22 10:26 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I know they're selling for crazy money right now, but I'm patient, willing to do a fly and drive, and have some friends in the industry. Pair those up and I'm not that worried about finding a Maverick for MSRP

At this point it's probably easier to just wait until august and order a '23 model.

Personally, ecoboost awd. But for two reasons: I want awd for winter and I know from experience that I'm too much of a child to drive a hybrid nicely enough to actually reap the efficiency benefits. And I'm not ready to totally give up the "fun" aspect...though the hybrid is probably still quick enough to be somewhat enjoyable. But I'd take the hybrid if I thought I could live with it and didn't need awd, which it sounds like both of those apply to you. Also if you are trying to buy a current model, it seems like there's a lot more hybrids around. I assume because the initial wait for them was longer so more people got tired of waiting and abandoned their orders.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/26/22 10:31 a.m.

Hybrid.

If I could go to a lot and get one for MSRP I'd do that right now.  My current plan is to order a '23 in August but I have fears that the "base" model will effectively be gone in 2023 and/or I will only be able to order the XL and it will somehow be $3k more expensive than 2022.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/26/22 10:32 a.m.

You'll still have the 4x4 Super Duty?

Get the hybrid. 

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
5/26/22 10:50 a.m.

The hybrid efficiency benefit really shines in local, off highway driving which is exactly where the Ecoboost will gulp gas.

If you have a big truck when you need it, I'd go hybrid. I was really tempted to pick one up last year, but I needed a truck with a bit more towing headroom than the Ecoboost model since I can only have one truck shaped object.

Now, if there was a Maverick ST, that'd change my vote for irrational reasons.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
5/26/22 10:51 a.m.

Since you have vehicles to tow projects and stuff at your disposal, I'd go for the hybrid.  Especially if it's a direct replacement of the Element.  They're too new to be modified, yet, but I imagine with the gains the turbo version has seen, there will be similar ones for the hybrid.  Is 50mpg possible? 

Given that Ford seems to be progressing quickly to electric, I wonder if the next gen Maverick will offer an EV version or plug in hybrid version.  Since prices are nuts right now, might be worth holding off for a bit to see what might be coming in future models.

As far as trim, the Maverick owners are figuring out that it's easy to swap parts.  Adding cruise is ~$140 with a ECU upgrade.  The Bronco Sport and Escape are the same chassis, so things like heated leather seats are plug and play as the wiring is already there.  If I was in the market, I'd be tempted to get a base hybrid and start doing junkyard upgrades instead of paying for packages of things I don't want.

-Rob

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/26/22 10:57 a.m.
rob_lewis said:\

As far as trim, the Maverick owners are figuring out that it's easy to swap parts.  Adding cruise is ~$140 with a ECU upgrade.  The Bronco Sport and Escape are the same chassis, so things like heated leather seats are plug and play as the wiring is already there.  If I was in the market, I'd be tempted to get a base hybrid and start doing junkyard upgrades instead of paying for packages of things I don't want.

-Rob

I am surprised there is wiring in the non heated seat models for heated seats. A lot of manufacturers are moving to package specific wiring harnesses.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/26/22 10:59 a.m.

I'd pick the Hyundai one. 

2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz

dps214
dps214 Dork
5/26/22 11:02 a.m.
bobzilla said:

I'd pick the Hyundai one. 

2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz

IMO not unless you've already committed to overpaying by $10k or want hybrid performance without the hybrid fuel economy. And an even smaller bed.

With all the modularity and mods people are doing, has anyone managed to fully defeat stability control yet?

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
5/26/22 11:04 a.m.

Option 3: Hybrid purchase plus aftermarket turbo option. 30mpg and 0-60 in 3.5s.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/22 11:07 a.m.

Wait for the '23 model.  Ford suspended accepting orders.  I think they are saying the '22 model run is sold out.

Personally:  XLT, w/Turbo, AWD, 4000 lb tow package.    With this you get better suspension plus an enhanced cooling water and transmission cooler.

I tried to order one but, of course, was told about the backorder issue.  So I'm waiting to the next model year.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
5/26/22 11:09 a.m.

Thanks for all the advice, everybody. I'm sort of shocked you're all the voice of reason instead of the voice of sub 6-second 0-60!

Just to clarify: Yeah, I don't need four-wheel-drive and I don't need it to tow anything. I have an F-250 for those jobs. 

And last I checked, the Santa Cruz was $10k more money for less truck. What am I missing?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
alfadriver said:

If I could get a hybrid that could tow 3500 lb, I would totally get it.

(and clarification, I mean Escape or Maveric size, not full sized truck.)

Toyota Sienna is now hybrid-only and is still rated for 3500 lbs.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork

No mentions of FWD vs AWD?   Hybrid is FWD only.

I am looking to get a ecoboost maverick when you can order them again, which should be August. I need the added towing capacity for the trailer I tow the Fmod with. 

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
5/26/22 11:19 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

I get it, but as a daily driver in FL I don't really see a significant downside to FWD.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/26/22 11:28 a.m.

The only advantage the Santa Cruz has over the Maverick is looks.  I would also go with the hybrid, hopefully in the next couple of years we will get one.

1 2 3 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
etVm5W3GFQGsNNLhTWIf3eKmoHNcUV2SHjc9MISA1zIAaGQdS7yN0iCvPR9orOVk