1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 28
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/18/22 7:12 a.m.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/18/22 7:23 a.m.

The sales guy is aware that you run a popular car magazine/forum right? 

i think ford is chik-fil-a at lunchtime. If people see the line and decide to go elsewhere, others will fill their spot and they stay at 100% capacity. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/18/22 7:23 a.m.

In contrast, I filled in the online thing hoping to be able to look at a 2023 options sheet. My dealer called me within 2 minutes. It was 8pm. I declined the call (you accept a call when trying to put a 4yo to bed and let me know how it works out) and they instantly started texting me. 

They are pressuring me to go to the dealership. 

Tom Suddard
9/18/22 7:34 a.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

Nah, I haven't obscured my name but I have used a different email address and forgotten to mention my occupation. I decided that it's a pointless story if I get special treatment because I write stories.

I did tell Jim Farley I was ordering and he hooked me up with X-plan, but the dealer hasn't asked for my PIN or anything yet and I don't think they will know or care who processed that.

This is all good info to write about the current state of car buying/the dealership model in the age of build to order and the internet. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/18/22 7:45 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

True. Better to go in neutral. 

also, anymore, x plan isnt really special. You could just be linked to a ford employee. It used to mean a lot more before they started using "employee pricing" to get sales. 

Tom Suddard
9/18/22 7:46 a.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, exactly. I don't think it's particularly notable. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/22 8:08 a.m.

I saw a maverick in the wild yesterday in a parking garage. First time I have got a close up look at one.  I now understand the excitement for these trucks and at about 30k new they are going to sell a ton of them.  

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/18/22 12:58 p.m.

Crazy on the dealership thing but not suprising, I'm guessing that's why mullinax spends a fortune on advertising.  In other news, we now have 3 rivian's in my neighborhood surprise

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/18/22 1:20 p.m.

Thanks for reminding about x-plan. I sent my pin to my salesman and he sent me a revised order. The difference is almost $1300 when you factor in the $100 fee cap. Dealer processing fee is $900.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/22 3:50 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I did tell Jim Farley I was ordering and he hooked me up with X-plan,

That's quite a name drop. 
Glad to see you're just going through the process like a regular guy, though. It's been educational so far.

yupididit said:

Thanks for reminding about x-plan. I sent my pin to my salesman and he sent me a revised order. The difference is almost $1300 when you factor in the $100 fee cap. Dealer processing fee is $900.

I'm in the same situation. The dealer I ordered the Maverick from has a $1,295 dealer fee on top of a $108 electronic filing fee. I plan to use my X-Plan pin not so much for the MSRP savings but to limit the dealer fee to $100. I went through this dealer for the convenience, not for the service or price.

Tom Suddard
9/19/22 9:41 a.m.

Another day, and nothing from Jae (hey it rhymes!)

Hopefully today I finally get my order submitted. I've already texted and emailed asking for him to do it.

Why don't I just go to the dealer and cause a scene? Because it's 2022, and it's insane to drive two hours round trip to go and ask somebody to click a few buttons on their computer. If I wanted to do that, I would have become an IT guy. laugh

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/19/22 10:15 a.m.

A buddy and I are going to the Detroit Auto show tomorrow and I am looking forward to checking one of these out.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/19/22 10:26 a.m.

Want to use my salesman? You'll just have to fly and drive it back from Alexandria VA lol

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/19/22 10:34 a.m.

Perhaps this thread should be renamed "Trying to buy the mythical Ford Maverick",  and a new thread begun when someone actually has one.

Tom Suddard
9/19/22 11:05 a.m.

PROGRESS! Jae just called for my credit card number to pay the $100 refundable order deposit. "I've got a whole stack of these orders but your last text made me finally just grab yours to get it done."

Here's my last text:

FWIW, I did apologize for "being your whiniest customer" which extracted a chuckle, but I'm pretty sure we both know the deal here and just want it to be over. 

Tom Suddard
9/19/22 11:06 a.m.
yupididit said:

Want to use my salesman? You'll just have to fly and drive it back from Alexandria VA lol

Tempting, but I'm sort of determined to do this like a normal person. Plus, I'm short on free time these days which is the main reason I'm buying a new car. 

Tom Suddard
9/19/22 11:10 a.m.

Since I'm basically calling this like a horse race at this point, let's check in with the back of the field.

Pat and Dave, my father and uncle in laws, also have Mavericks ordered with Jae. I'd originally told him "hey the three of us want to buy new trucks from you." so he's handling theirs, too.

They have heard nothing from him today. 

Tom Suddard
9/19/22 11:25 a.m.

And after calling Jae, they seem to have paid their deposits, too. Is this... progress?

SPG123
SPG123 HalfDork
9/19/22 1:21 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Tom Suddard
9/19/22 1:24 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/19/22 1:29 p.m.

In reply to SPG123 :

Wow, that's a pretty dumb post. 

-They are inexpensive

-The hybrids get unheard of gas mileage in the truck segment

-They fit into parking spaces and such much better than full-sized trucks

-They handle and ride better than full-sized trucks

-Most people who buy full sized trucks nowadays are getting an extra set of seats so even on a "full-sized" pickup the bed is pretty small

I'm no full-sized truck hater. Through my company I own seven 3/4 ton trucks and vans as well as a large flatbed. But for 98 percent of my personal needs a Maverick would do the job better. Virtue signaling has nothing to do with it. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
9/19/22 1:55 p.m.

Im not sure on the end game of playing cat and mouse with the dealer other than just to be annoying.  

If this dealer can't be bothered to submit an order in a timely fashion, certainly there are other Ford dealers in the area.    

Borderline related - My lovely wife and I just ordered a 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe - the whole process took literally 15 minutes from walking in the door of the dealership to paying our deposit and getting some paperwork.  We had already test drove one at a different dealer and selected the options we wanted using their online configurator. 

There is no need to struggle with poor service.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/22 3:20 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

I guess it depends on how big an area you're willing to cover. Around here, we have one Ford dealer. If I wanted to go somewhere else, it would be nearly 2 hours round trip. And the next one would be 2.5 hours. There's no guarantee these would be any better.

Dodge is worse - there isn't a second dealer within that 2 hour radius. And if I want a Mazda, it's 8 hours of driving to go pick up my new car or get warranty work done. Sometimes there just aren't the options.

Emailed my dealer today to see if he finally got around to submitting my order.

"We received a large number of orders  within tight time window.... they are working on submitting them in the order were received. " was his reply. No E36 M3 Sherlock! 

Well gee golly, maybe you should have entered my order when the order banks opened a WEEK AGO. But I had to resend the paperwork because of your incompetence. 

I ordered through my local Ford megadealer since they seem to get the most allocations but their service sucks frown

1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1csEbChDFU2e2OOrnq8L3uzPgCqu8vO10wRaGfvvznmbXA39LCNlIj4kesUEnEzb