1 2 3 4 5 ... 28
STM317 said:
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

Hybrid battery and supporting systems plus CVT equals huge repair bills after the warranty is up. How long will you keep it?

The CVT is the hybrid part. It's just 2 electric motors and some planetary gears. Same setup the Prius has used forever. They're used as taxis for a reason. But, Ford covers their hybrid components for 8 years/100k miles too.

Correct. It's actually pretty clever. This guy goes into detail on how it works:

dps214
dps214 Dork
5/26/22 8:24 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

I'll be ordering an XLT Hybrid in Cyber Orange and promptly lowering it using H&R lowering springs for the Ford Escape.

You know that doesn't work on fwd models, right? Well, I mean the front still works but not the rear.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/26/22 8:25 p.m.

promptly lowering it using H&R lowering springs for the Ford Escape

Explain plz.

Ford escape has IRS, similar to the ecoboost Maverick.  The hybrid has a trailing beam axle thingy and thus the springs are not the same.  I've looked into hybrid lowering kits, because that is the first thing I would do with mine as well.

dps214
dps214 Dork
5/26/22 8:35 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

promptly lowering it using H&R lowering springs for the Ford Escape

Explain plz.

Ford escape has IRS, similar to the ecoboost Maverick.  The hybrid has a trailing beam axle thingy and thus the springs are not the same.  I've looked into hybrid lowering kits, because that is the first thing I would do with mine as well.

Correct, it only works on the awd models. In my three minutes of googling around to verify, it looks like eibach is working on a maverick specific set of springs. I also like the idea but I'd really want something application specific, even if it means not quite as much lowering.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/26/22 8:54 p.m.

I ordered my EcoBoost Maverick XLT FX4 many months ago for MSRP.  Still waiting.  I could use some of those inside connections.  I just get emails from Ford with, "we'll keep you posted."

Oh whoops, you guys are right. I didn't realize the hybrid was twist beam only. All the FWD Mavericks I've seen that are lowered must have been Ecoboosts.

Dang it. Well I guess I'll be waiting for lowering springs then.

dps214
dps214 Dork
5/26/22 9:07 p.m.

Oh whoops, you guys are right. I didn't realize the hybrid was twist beam only. All the FWD Mavericks I've seen that are lowered must have been Ecoboosts.

Dang it. Well I guess I'll be waiting for lowering springs then.

You've only seen awd models lowered, all the fwd models have the same suspension setup regardless of drivetrain.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
5/26/22 9:52 p.m.

I'd vote as close to a base model hybrid as you can find. I'm a sucker for no options, and as stated above the only real benefit you can expect over the Element is economy. 
Just please, buy it in a color and not some shade of white/black

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/26/22 10:34 p.m.

I'm a big fan of the base model hybrid, but my wife will push for the XLT, which is reasonable. I want the AWD hybrid configuration that they don't make currently, but I'd settle for a FWD hybrid.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/27/22 6:21 a.m.

Hybrid

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/27/22 6:48 a.m.

I'd vote hybrid since you have the tow vehicle already. Also posting this picture I took at the LA auto show again just because it was so cool  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/27/22 8:16 a.m.

There will be a hybrid awd version? 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
5/27/22 8:34 a.m.

There will indeed be a full ev version of the maverick coming in the next gen.  The next gen Lightning is a completely new platform as well.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/27/22 8:48 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Just please, buy it in a color and not some shade of white/black

For the XL model, that leaves Velocity Blue, which is a very nice color.  The pallette offered to XL is black, white, a few grays and blue.  Those few gray also include the blue/gray color called Area 51 and the green/gray called Cactus.  Those too are kind of unique.  You have to move up to XLT to get into the yellow and red choices.   

I think someone in the vinyl biz should come up with a Grabber package.  This is a 1972 Maverick Grabber (50 years ago!) In 1972 they offered a bright blue and a navy blue.  Using this Velocity blue, the Grabber style lines should be easy to replicate.  Start at forward side marker light, over wheel arch to straight line (under the body belt line) to wheel arch.  Add some black to the center of the hood and add some black to the center of the tailgate.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/27/22 8:54 a.m.

I'm definitely aiming for a gray, blue/gray or green/gray.

I have no desire to have a brightly colored vehicle that attracts attention.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/22 9:14 a.m.
84FSP said:

There will indeed be a full ev version of the maverick coming in the next gen.  The next gen Lightning is a completely new platform as well.

Woah! The lightening is a new vehicle that I will actually spend money on. Not sure if a new platform is good or bad though. Part of the reason that the lightening is so appealing is because it's still a regular F150 with the same parts in many places. 

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
5/27/22 9:21 a.m.
grover said:
84FSP said:

Woah! The lightening is a new vehicle that I will actually spend money on. Not sure if a new platform is good or bad though. Part of the reason that the lightening is so appealing is because it's still a regular F150 with the same parts in many places. 

All F150s are supposed to be new in 2025. I'm guessing the Lightning will continue to share a whole bunch of parts with the regular F150s

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/22 10:25 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

You're making the purchase based upon utility and efficiency, not perform. In city driving 0-30 matters more than 0-60. Unless the rear suspension design of the hybrid negatively effects load hauling capacity, the hybrid is the slam dunk answer. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/27/22 11:15 a.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Unless the rear suspension design of the hybrid negatively effects load hauling capacity, the hybrid is the slam dunk answer. 

The hybrid is still rated for a 1500lb payload.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
5/27/22 1:27 p.m.

Speaking of the value of Honda Elements...

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/27/22 9:13 p.m.

There.  Are.  No.  Hybrids.

This question is asked under the false premise that you can get one.  They stopped even taking orders on hybrids months ago and you'll not find one sitting around at a dealership.  Unless you and Edsel Ford are having lunch Sunday, I don't see the hybrid as being a real option.

And frankly, with the automotive interests you have, why go anything other than the EB?  The performance is outstanding and you'll do plenty good on fuel but with a giant grin on your face.

Fantastic little truck.  I'm kicking myself that I didn't order one in the beginning.  If I would have I would played with it for six months and then sold it on to Carvana at a $7-$10k profit by now.

dps214
dps214 Dork
5/27/22 11:44 p.m.

They certainly are around, though there probably aren't any at msrp or close to it. Ford stopped taking orders but production is still trickling out and considering how long the wait has been there's a fair few people that abandoned their orders. Plus there were a few dealer inventory orders. Honestly there's probably more hybrids than ecoboosts floating around now just because most of the early production was ecoboosts...but that's purely speculation based on what I've seen from occasionally shopping around. Actually yesterday I was looking around out of curiosity and found one of my ideal configurations at a dealer in northwest ohio, with the markup recently dropped from $10k to $7k. They certianly exist, it's just a matter of finding someone willing to sell at msrp and then managing to be first in line. Which, on that front I agree that it's really not worth the effort at this point.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
5/28/22 1:47 a.m.

Hybrid gets my vote.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/10/22 4:52 p.m.

Local Ford dealer is raping people on Mavericks. Base Hybrid demo with 1600 miles = $38,000. Full-spec AWD with nice wheels and similar miles: $43,000.

I know that all the dealers have increased their margins. $6k over MSRP seems a very common figure where I live, but $38K for a $20K truck with 1600 miles? Someone needs to be kicked in the nuts.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
6/11/22 8:37 a.m.

Waitaminutehere....

The turbo gets a paltry 23 MPG?  My full size F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost gets 20.5 in mixed driving.  For the extra 2.5 MPG, why would someone ever consider a Maverick?

1 2 3 4 5 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rbwZHCvlz6aDf8pBg0DpjUxru5a21T0fSr93aPgkh1aFAaMK9cvQhMjgp4UbisLR