1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28
eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/11/22 12:57 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

23 is the city rating, combined is 26 (25 for AWD).  Still, I think the main reason to get it is if you don't need the extra size, the smaller truck is a lot easier to drive/park/live with.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
6/11/22 4:24 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo:

For me?  Price.  A Maverick Lariat turbo starts at $27k. A no-option F150 XL quad cab is $41k.  Sure, the F150 will tow more and inside is bigger, but the Maverick would do everything I need a truck for at a lower price. 

Unless you were asking why buy a $40k Maverick vs. an F150. If so, I agree. 

-Rob

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/11/22 6:12 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

Waitaminutehere....

The turbo gets a paltry 23 MPG?  My full size F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost gets 20.5 in mixed driving.  For the extra 2.5 MPG, why would someone ever consider a Maverick?

You're comparing apples and oranges.  A Miata doesn't get that much better mileage than a base Mustang. But how many people cross-shop the two?

dps214
dps214 Dork
6/11/22 6:15 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

Waitaminutehere....

The turbo gets a paltry 23 MPG?  My full size F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost gets 20.5 in mixed driving.  For the extra 2.5 MPG, why would someone ever consider a Maverick?

Does your f150 do 30mpg highway?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/11/22 6:21 p.m.

My father-in-law (if he were still alive) would have been a great candidate for a Maverick.  Like Scion, marketed to youth but sold to the elderly.  There's a whole class of "ole boys" who always had a truck and always will have a truck.  But, they can't climb up into the cab so well anymore.  Lets face it, they really don't lift that much any more and even if they could, they couldn't lift it as high as the new trucks require to get things into the bed.  

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
6/11/22 6:44 p.m.
dps214 said:
93gsxturbo said:

Waitaminutehere....

Just freeway at 65 MPH it does 23-24 on the dash.  I typically drive it around 80-85 on the freeway and I see 20.4-20.5 with mixed freeway and city driving.  Bulk of the time is running empty.  This is on regular fuel too, I havent tried premium.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/27/22 2:40 p.m.
dps214 said:
93gsxturbo said:

Waitaminutehere....

Yeah, perhaps I should have been more clear: I'm only looking at and discussing city mileage, because all my driving in my daily driver is in city conditions. Highway mileage isn't relevant to me. 

Tom Suddard
6/27/22 2:46 p.m.

Bumping this thread up because there's been a development!

I received this email out of the blue; looking back, I'd asked this dealer if they had any Mavericks back in January.

Here's how the conversation went from there:

Tom: I’d be interested in ordering, but have never driven (or even sat in) a Hybrid Maverick. Do you have a demo or anything so I could see one before ordering?

Jae: Sorry, I do not have any available at this time.

Tom: Okay, thanks. What would your out the door price be for an XLT Hybrid with no options, with no registration to transfer, registered in Volusia county?

Jae: There is no pricing yet for the 2023. You can go on ford.com to build and price a 2022. That will give you an idea of cost.

I didn't bother replying at that point. Can somebody explain what utility the dealer is offering here? What are they doing to improve my buying experience vs. ordering directly from Ford? Nearly a year after the model is introduced, they don't have one I can look at and can't tell me how much it would cost to buy one. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/22 4:00 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

What are they doing to improve my buying experience vs. ordering directly from Ford? 

They're mining their contacts list for revenue, it has nothing to do with improving your buying experience. 

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
6/27/22 5:15 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:
Tom Suddard said:

What are they doing to improve my buying experience vs. ordering directly from Ford? 

They're mining their contacts list for revenue, it has nothing to do with improving your buying experience. 

Bingo.  For every person like Tom, who's trying to make a logical decision, I'd bet there are 5 others that will buy it sight unseen.  And, until the dealers have more inventory than they have interest, they don't need to waste their time on someone like that when the next person's will simply send them a spec sheet and a deposit check.

-Rob

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/27/22 6:00 p.m.

I was tooling around the internet and came upon someone who was trashing the Maverick. Saying that he'd bought one and it was "too small".  Really? Did you say the same thing about your mail-order bride?

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
6/27/22 8:00 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

He's probably just confused because he's looking for a For Maverick instead of a Ford Maverick. Have him check the lot again for a Ford and see what he says:

Tom Suddard
6/27/22 8:28 p.m.

Yeah, for a business model that's constantly lobbying for laws to protect their existence, and saying that they are an invaluable resource for the consumer, I'm just baffled at how little help they are.

Before my time, the Suddard Family owned a Ford dealership for a few generations. Having somebody repeatedly reaching out to the dealership with the message "please sell me a car today thank you." would have been the best thing ever. It's just baffling how drastically the business model has changed. 

Tom Suddard
6/27/22 8:30 p.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the dealer sort of asked me if I wanted to order one, and I sort of said yes, right? It's weird that they just gave up.

And this is why I will drive my Element until it explodes, or until I can buy a Maverick from a private seller. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/27/22 8:35 p.m.

They aren't giving up.  They are just trying to stack their order line.  There are tons of people willing to order a hybrid maverick never having driven one.  Unfortunately you are competing with them for the dealer's attention :(.  In many ways this is the new reality of car buying.

I'd love it if Ford would let us just order from them directly.

To be fair, there is very little risk though.  Order what you want, if it shows up and you test drive it and you don't like it, just walk from the deal.  They will happily mark it up more and sell it to someone else off the lot.

2022 is weird.

car39
car39 Dork
6/28/22 10:59 a.m.

No matter which one you buy, get a calendar.  My Lariat Luxury has been on order 6 months with no build date.  The most recent email from Ford was March.  My dealer insists I'll get a 2022, but I'm betting on a 2023.  Or 2024.  Not waiting for the 2025 model, my knees can't take that much abuse with a Miata as my primary driver.

Update: Got an email from Ford today, most likely looking at a 2023 model year, if the dealer remembers to move my order over.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/28/22 11:13 a.m.

They don't want to give you an otd price because they want to put a bunch of extra frosting on it and berkeley you for it all. Can't do any adding when you have a number in print. 

Tom Suddard
7/7/22 12:21 p.m.

Time for an update. After lots of daily driver ideas and subsequent searches of the new and used car market, I've given up on any deals being out there. All my math says the Maverick Hybrid is the right choice for a bunch of reasons, and it seems like the way to get one for sticker is to order, wait a year, and then pick it up. 

So let's give that a shot. I emailed my buddy Jae back, and he told me their dealership was selling customer order Mavericks for MSRP with no additional fees or anything. Seems too good to be true, but maybe that explains the lack of effort on their part. So I'm going to see if I can actually make that happen. If I can't, then I'll get creative and call some friends in the business.

The first step, Jae said, is to build a truck online and email him what I wanted. Then, in theory, he'll put the order in as soon as the order banks open up in a few weeks.

After a few more hours of research and general nerding out over Maverick specs, here's what I built:

I built an XLT hybrid, and the only options I added were a sliding rear window ($155), a trailer hitch ($100), and a built-in power inverter ($150). It was tempting to go crazy with options, but I'm cheap and many options will slow your build down. I was tempted by the OEM spray in bedliner, but it was more expensive than having my local LineX shop do it, and supposedly a major bottleneck in Maverick production. 

Here's a link to my build.

https://shop.ford.com/configure/maverick/config/summary/Config%5B%7CFord%7CMaverick%7C2022%7C1%7C1.%7C...PKU...55D.60B.FWD.993.47K.XLT.%5D

If 2023 pricing remains the same, and if Jae stays true to his word, this is what my Maverick should cost:

Now, we wait... let's see if all this is too good to be true. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a slight price increase, but all other rumors are that the Maverick shouldn't change for 2023. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/7/22 12:38 p.m.

Do hybrids come in awd/4wd?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/7/22 12:39 p.m.

I'm waiting to see the option changes for MY23, but will almost certainly be ordering a 2.0 XLT when it opens up in August. 

Its funny, its the cheapest thing on the market that meets my needs and I am actually excited about it. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/7/22 12:40 p.m.
yupididit said:

Do hybrids come in awd/4wd?

No.   Its one of those "hopefully it changes" things.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/7/22 12:59 p.m.

That's pretty much the option list I am looking at, only I'm leaning toward the XL.  I didn't know the bedliners were a hold -up.  I was thinking the factory liner would have a better chance of a quality application, and possibly eliminate any potential warranty issues.  Do you have any more info on that situation?

Tom Suddard
7/7/22 1:31 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Here's one source, but there's been lots of chatter about it on the forums.

Ford provided a list of options and features that are causing constraints: 

• Hard trifold tonneau cover
  • Spray-in bed liner 
  • Bed extender 
  • Bed tray 
  • Cargo management system 
  • Lariat luxury package 
  • XLT luxury package 
  • Co-Pilot 360 package 

via https://www.motorbiscuit.com/2022-ford-maverick-order-pushed-back-until-2023/

As far as factory vs. aftermarket, I'm no expert aside from spraying a bedliner or two back in high school when I worked at a bodyshop, but I've read the OEM spray-in is applied to fresh, unscuffed paint, and that makes it easier to peel off than aftermarket bedliners that go down on scuffed paint. If true, that difference makes sense to me. Supposedly OEM spray-ins don't have as good of coverage as aftermarket either.

I'm not exactly sure if/how much worse the OEM actually is, but I figured at best it's a tie so why hold up the order for it.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/7/22 1:39 p.m.

Nice color!! I like it a lot.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/7/22 1:39 p.m.

If the $100 hitch includes 4 prong wiring, that's cheaper than you could do it yourself!  But, is this a 2" receiver or 1"?

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zrbOmYpSd98iGE2ZLwXjegxEVEn6QU52tbgjQBs1CmmNZ3tmwlInIJOXRM4QUVN8