1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/7/22 1:53 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Exactly, I couldn't buy the parts for $100, nevermind do the install and wiring.

Yes, it's a 2" hitch. 

It is pretty cool being able to pick exactly what you want, like that sliding rear window. They make doing lead-follow photo shoots way easier, and $155 is nothing compared to the cost to add it after the fact. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/7/22 2:31 p.m.
Apexcarver said:
yupididit said:

Do hybrids come in awd/4wd?

No.   Its one of those "hopefully it changes" things.

Darn that would be perfect for me.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/7/22 2:47 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Different but a data point...

For my Grand Caravan hitch aftermarket and frugal shopping was $94 for hitch and $42 for wiring as well as 2 hours of my time. 

Tom Suddard
7/7/22 3:02 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yeah, I mean Ford is probably smarter than me, but I'm not sure why they didn't charge at least another $200 or so for the hitch. If you told me my new truck's OEM hitch and wiring was $300 instead of $100 I would have still bought it. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
7/7/22 3:11 p.m.

How many people have had "base car" Mavericks ordered and delivered ?

I know we trust the car companies and car dealers so much , I am just wondering if this is the usual bait and switch and the fully loaded ca res are being built first !

Tom Suddard
7/7/22 3:13 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

I know one personally, and have seen plenty of others in the Maverick groups. It seems like Ford built all the non-hybrid XLs first. laugh

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/7/22 3:16 p.m.

appreciate you sharing with us Tom.

Tom Suddard
7/7/22 3:58 p.m.

No problem! I've always been curious how this process worked, so I figured why not document it.

Another update: Jae the sales rep just emailed me saying he had the order, and a photo of my driver's license is all he needs to put me on their order list for the order list. So I sent them a photo of my license.

In theory, this means I'm officially on the list to get on the list, if that makes sense. Order banks open up in a few weeks, at which point the dealer will actually put my order in. Fingers crossed!

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
7/7/22 4:08 p.m.

By todays standards, 23 mpg sucks. My 66 Chevelle gets better than that. WAY better.
I'd get the hybrid, especially if it's for around town which is where hybrids shine.
If you want to cut the cost of fuel in half, double your mpg rating.

dps214
dps214 Dork
7/7/22 4:15 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

I know we trust the car companies and car dealers so much , I am just wondering if this is the usual bait and switch and the fully loaded ca res are being built first !

In my searching it seems like most of them on the used market are XLs.

I've talked to a few dealers that all said no markup on new orders, so either they're all lying or pretty much everyone is doing no markup orders. I keep waffling on what I want, not being helped by a complete lack of any hard details on the new ranger or Colorado/canyon models. I should probably contact my local dealer again and see if I can get on the "list for the list" yet. Unfortunately I'm pretty set on an XLT luxury pack, so it might take a while.

If there is anymore berkeleyery with my Bronco order, I'll be abandoning it and ordering an XLT hybrid Maverick. I think that will be a smart choice as I plan on moving in with the GF in the next few months. My commute will go from 27 miles each way to 40 miles each way. I'm currently driving a 2010 Tahoe PPV that gets a whopping 16.5mpg. The Bronco I have on order is a no-options 2 door base with the 2.3L and 7 speed manual that gets maybe 3mpg better on the highway than the Tahoe.

I feel like the XLT is the sweet spot as far as price is concerned. I'd rock an XL but cruise control is not available. You can supposedly add it using FORscan though. I like the Navy Pier interior on the XLT better as well. I don't need any luxury features and the only options I'd add are Cyber Orange paint, AC outlet and the trailer hitch.

Tom Suddard
7/7/22 4:25 p.m.

Yeah, I thought hard about the XL and adding my own cruise control, wheels and other doo-dads, but ultimately decided that would violate my rule of having one real car in the fleet that I don't mess with. Plus I liked the funny white/orange interior accents.

I've also played the "add factory cruise control" game before when I added factory cruise to my Ford van. Even buying used parts I still spent $400, which is a decent chunk of the difference between the XL and XLT.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
7/7/22 5:13 p.m.
dps214 said:
californiamilleghia said:

In my searching it seems like most of them on the used market are XLs.

I've talked to a few dealers that all said no markup on new orders, so either they're all lying or pretty much everyone is doing no markup orders. I keep waffling on what I want, not being helped by a complete lack of any hard details on the new ranger or Colorado/canyon models. I should probably contact my local dealer again and see if I can get on the "list for the list" yet. Unfortunately I'm pretty set on an XLT luxury pack, so it might take a while.

Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if the ones with markups are trucks either the dealership got by itself (i.e. wasn't ordered for someone) or trucks that were not bought by the person who ordered it, so they had a "free" one to mark up?  We've all seen the marked up ones, but since they're non-existant on the lots, is it skewing the impression?  Does anyone know of examples of a dealer claiming MSRP for a truck someone ordered and when the truck arrived, it came with a market adjustment?  I point out market adjustment as opposed to dealer add-ons because those have been around for decades and there are dealers that do it on every car they sell.

I'm watching this progress with interest.  I'm thinking about buying one for my kiddo to have something reliable for him to finish his college years in and to start his career with, but we're not quite to the buying stage yet.  That wouldn't be until early next year.  However, if I got on "the list" it might just arrive when I'd be looking to buy.....  Hmmmmm.  Sounds like Tom just needed to send an email with the build sheet and a copy of his driver's license.  No "holding" fee.  Wonder what the dealers around me would require.

-Rob

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/7/22 6:03 p.m.

I want a custom order XLT AWD w/towing package.   I can't find a fog light option.  Anyone figured this out  yet?

I will wait until I can get it at at max MSRP.  This may take a long time but I find with my 2019 Frontier until then.   

Pretty usual of Ford to leave cruise control off the XL to make you spend more.   I bought a Ford Edge a few years back.  Ford fixed it so you could not get satellite radio unless you added a $5000 goody smorgasbord package.  It was literally impossible to put a Ford unit into the space provided.  We added an aftermarket standalone unit. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
7/7/22 6:28 p.m.

With Ford's awful inventory system it's hard to tell the difference between vehicles actually for sale and custom orders in the process of being picked up. But in my searching around lately, maybe 10% of what shows up online are dealer inventory orders, the rest are all custom order, either already sold or still for sale because the order was abandoned.

IIRC there's no fog light option, but I've also never experienced oe fog lights that are actually useful. Maybe now that LEDs have become more common that's different, but I wouldn't hang my purchase decision on that alone. But also afaik the actual options and features details for the '23 model haven't been released yet.

Tom Suddard
7/7/22 6:31 p.m.

Yeah, there's definitely plenty of uncertainty in my future. Right now all I have is an email saying I'm on the list to get on the list, and all they have is a photo of my driver's license. I'll keep this thread updated over the next few weeks as things progress. 

Tom Suddard
7/12/22 12:34 p.m.

There's been an update! Well, a minor one.

Turns out that despite its short supply, the Maverick is eligible for Ford's X-plan. Most of the hard to get Fords are excluded, but this little pickup truck isn't so I'm pleasantly surprised. 

X-plan is Ford's for friends, family, suppliers, etc. to buy Ford vehicles at a slight discount from MSRP. More importantly, it has a bunch of requirements for participating dealers that prevent weird games, such as capping the dealer fee at $100.

I emailed my salesperson that I was eligible, and he said no problem. Success!

dps214
dps214 Dork
7/12/22 12:50 p.m.

I was under the impression that basically all models are eligible, just the discount on everything but high trim trucks and the mustang is like $1-300. If you have the code you can go online and check the discount by model. IIRC the maverick is like $150, but capping the dealer fees is nice and potentially a bigger savings than the discount itself.

Tom Suddard
7/12/22 1:03 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

Nope, there are actually a bunch of exclusions. Bronco, Raptor, Lightning, fast Mustangs, all vans, base Fiesta and a few others.

Here's the full list:

https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerweb/pdf/IneligibleProducts.pdf

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/31/22 9:51 p.m.

Any news? What are the chances average Joe can buy one of these at MSRP?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/31/22 9:59 p.m.

I saw something about the 2023 order book opening being delayed until September.  Although with Ford's latest changes, maybe the odds of getting a car at MSRP will be better.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/22 10:58 p.m.

In reply to 67LS1 :

Your '66 Chevelle gets much better than 23 MPG city? Did you put a Prius drivetrain in there?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/1/22 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

LFX I believe.

Tom Suddard
8/1/22 3:26 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Any news? What are the chances average Joe can buy one of these at MSRP?

No news yet. Orders were supposed to open tomorrow, but Ford has pushed that back to September. Rumor has it my order will be submitted 9/15, but that could change again. 

In other news, I seem to have started a trend after telling my family about the Maverick. My uncle is on the pre-order list at the same dealer I am, with an almost identically specc'd truck. My father in law is, too, though he picked Cactus Grey. And his neighbor was so excited that he drove his Jeep seven hours to a dealership in Atlanta that offered him a decent trade-in value, then paid $31,000 for a Maverick XL (something like $7500 over MSRP). He got home with it a few days ago, and loves it:

If and when the rest of us eventually get our orders, we'll have to park all four in a row and take a photo.

The local dealer does have a few used Mavericks in stock, but they're asking about $15,000 over MSRP for them. Yeah, thanks but no thanks. 

Tom Suddard
8/1/22 3:28 p.m.

Oh, and there is one other update. 

Given my occupation, I have some opportunities the average new car shopper doesn't. One of those is access to press cars, so Tim and I are spending 10 days with a Maverick Lariat Hybrid during Monterey Car Week next month. It should be one heck of a test drive! Assuming things go according to plan, I'll put 500 or so miles on it, fill it to capacity with gravel, etc. Should be a fun week.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X375UAqmioHbKKdtUuX78D2HM2k6U0oVAL9MnIb6ppXIEWtnSnuPyrQ286rE54ED