1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 28
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/1/22 3:29 p.m.

One of my local dealers has an hybrid xl on the lot. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/1/22 5:39 p.m.

Looking at it, seems the hybrid is rated to 2k towing. Di we know why?i tow dolly and flat tow to the track, but combined its over 3k. 

Im also looking forward to seeing the actual mpg and how it does enthusiast use. Debating replacing the Prius and c1500 with one. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/1/22 6:08 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Im also looking forward to seeing the actual mpg and how it does enthusiast use. Debating replacing the Prius and c1500 with one. 

Seems like the right side of this graph is the hybrid, which is pretty impressive for something with that capability.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
8/1/22 6:08 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Looking at it, seems the hybrid is rated to 2k towing. Di we know why?i tow dolly and flat tow to the track, but combined its over 3k. 

The hybrid has a CVT.  Maybe it's to protect that?  I don't know CVT's well enough to guess, but assume they're not a "tow" friendly as normal automatic?  I'm sure there are CVT's built for towing, but doubt that's what's in the Maverick.

-Rob

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/1/22 6:15 p.m.

Has SAE J2807 been officially adopted?  If so, that's most likely the reason.  Performance/heat. 

I would actually think the CVT in the Maverick would be far more tow-friendly than a normal automatic.  It can hold optimal RPM when climbing a grade instead of bouncing through all kinds of gears.  Just like Dusterbd13's Prius.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/1/22 6:47 p.m.

I'm not sure why the tow rating is lower, but I'm not too worried about the hybrid's towing ability. The most I'll tow with it is a small utility trailer. I suspect it's heat related. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/1/22 7:40 p.m.

There are significant challenges producing an automotive cvt that could tow and have an acceptable warranty life expectancy. 

Tom Suddard
8/1/22 8:26 p.m.

Shouldn't the Maverick's CVT actually be pretty durable? It's basically just a big planetary gearset and an electric motor, right? No belt/clutches/etc. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/1/22 8:42 p.m.

I don't know what all goes into tow ratings, but the 4k tow package is only available on the awd model.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/1/22 8:57 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Shouldn't the Maverick's CVT actually be pretty durable? It's basically just a big planetary gearset and an electric motor, right? No belt/clutches/etc. 

Cvt's are two variable pulleys with a belt. You are talking a basic 3 speed gear set up. 

Tom Suddard
8/1/22 9:15 p.m.

I don't think so; everything I've read says the Maverick's CVT is a similar design to the Prius.

https://www.maverickchat.com/threads/heres-how-an-e-cvt-transmssion-works.415/

yupididit
8/4/22 2:13 p.m.

Anymore leads on when the order banks are opening for a 2023 hybrid? I'm looking to order a XL or low XLT

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/4/22 2:18 p.m.

Mid-september....until the next time it gets pushed back three days before the date.

Tom Suddard
8/4/22 3:25 p.m.

Yeah, basically. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/5/22 7:56 a.m.

I agree the Maverick CVT should be much more durable than a typical belt CVT, since it's a planetary gear system instead. Regarding towing, it seems the only thing the towing package includes is a hitch, higher final drive ratio, and auxiliary trans cooler. Not sure why they had to gatekeep the towing package behind the AWD option. Maybe they didn't want complaints of FWD Mavericks getting stuck at boat ramps.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/5/22 9:13 a.m.

So, what I'm gleaning from this thread is that Ford Program Pricing can be used to get a Maverick at near MSRP pricing.  What I'm not seeing is what financial amount, out-of-pocket-now needs to be put down to make an order happen?  

Seems like a wise move to just get one ordered if not a huge cash outlay.  It is likely easy then at time of arrival to either buy and keep or buy and sell.   Seems foolish not to just get one ordered.  

Mine would be Velocity Blue XL Hybrid and I'll aftermarket the cruise and alloys (likely used Escape or Bronco Sport alloys.)

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/5/22 10:00 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

I'm guessing there's some "good" reason for it. The tow package was originally offered on all Ecoboosts, then shortly before production started was switched to awd only. Some early orderers got a free awd upgrade as a result.

At this stage it costs nothing to place a "pre-order" but it's not anything official with Ford, just on the dealer wait-list essentially. Nothing can be submitted officially until whenever Ford decides to open the order banks. Also, for '23 velocity blue is being dropped and replaced with Atlas blue, which imo is a better color.

yupididit
8/5/22 10:41 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Also, how do I order with Ford Program Pricing?

If you want an in depth look on how these e-CVTs work, check out this video:

I was also under the impression that these were a belt-type CVT with an electric motor in there somewhere. Its actually more simple than that.

When the Maverick was first revealed, I wanted a 2.0T/AWD/FX4 because I was leery of the CVT (and the negative connotation attached to traditional CVT transmissions). But after seeing how it works and reading owner experiences on MaverickTruckClub, I would now rather have an XLT Hybrid. For me, the better mileage outweighs the lower tow rating.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/5/22 1:13 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Also, how do I order with Ford Program Pricing?

It was said in this thread or another to either find a friend who works for Ford who could then give you a Friends and Family code. Or, join the Mustang Club of America (which might cost but even if $100 worth the savings.) 

yupididit
8/5/22 1:27 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Damn, I don't know anyone who works for F. 

Tom Suddard
8/5/22 1:37 p.m.

The magic sauce you're looking for is called X-plan, though there are a few other plans out there too. It doesn't save you much, but it removes negotiation from the equation and caps dealer fees at a few hundred bucks.

Ford employees and some suppliers are the people to talk to. IIRC you get it by joining the Mustang club, too, though there's a waiting period for that. 

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/5/22 1:53 p.m.
dps214 said:

In reply to maschinenbau :

I'm guessing there's some "good" reason for it. The tow package was originally offered on all Ecoboosts, then shortly before production started was switched to awd only. Some early orderers got a free awd upgrade as a result.

I'm guessing the different rear suspensions factor into it. FWD Mavericks have a Twist beam rear suspension, while AWD Mavericks get an IRS:

MaverickAWD.d09.KGP.jpg

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/5/22 1:58 p.m.

Is the exhaust on the FWD picture above dropped from its rear hangers for clarity reasons (i.e. to see the suspension)?  If not, man .. that looks pretty low.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/5/22 1:58 p.m.

Dear god does the exhaust really hang that low?

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
duDbyDRqTwsfyhfiVqA2XhUqTUiPsZBOVzEQoVFiCZLR3fcfa9nXoicZpaeJ0uwn